Recommendations for protein powder

Options
Need to up my protein intake without raising my carbs. Can I get some suggestions for a good protein powder (without fake sugars)? Thanks!

Replies

• catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    I need a recommendation too. Hook us girls up!
  • myvenus
    myvenus Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I buy Jillian Michaels Whey Protein, Chocolate Flavor, at Walmart, about $11 ish....and it tastes pretty good.....

• 14oz
    • 15g protein
    • 100 calories per serving
    • 3g fiber
    • Great tasting
  • lvnaris
    lvnaris Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have Jillian's, too. It's actually $9+. I guess I shouldn't recommend something I haven't tried yet, but a friend makes smoothies for breakfast with the vanilla flavored one. I only found the chocolate, so that's what I have. I'm planning on making strawberry chocolate smoothies with it as I never make time for a proper breakfast. I can share my friend's recipe later.
  • Sirchunx
    Sirchunx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Personally I would go for Syntrax Nectar: Fuzzy Navel Flavor but that depends on your opinion of fake sugars.

Ingredients: Whey Protein Isolate, Citric Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Soy Lecithin, Acesulfame-K, Sucralose, FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Blue #1.

90 calories per 23g of protein 0 carbs tastes great

edit: 4got carb info
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey , 24g protein , 120 cal , 1g sugar, 3g carbs, its excellent and tons of flavors
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I buy Jillian Michaels Whey Protein, Chocolate Flavor, at Walmart, about $11 ish....and it tastes pretty good.....

• 14oz
    • 15g protein
    • 100 calories per serving
    • 3g fiber
    • Great tasting

Aye!! I have the vanilla flavor and it is also great tasting. I usually have one serving (8oz) right after a workout. It is very filling and keeps me from eating before I go to bed. It is very easy to make, just mix it with water. Good stuff.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Definately Jillian Micheals Whey protien...My Walmart has for $10.
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I use EliteXT from Vitamin Shoppe, whatever you choose dont buy the high dollar stuff like at GNC
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    How bout just pasteurized egg whites you can add them to a lot with out tasting it. Does not cost nearly as much as some of those other things.
  • AshleyNicoleRoutson
    Options
    Dynamatize ISO 100 whey isolate protein, Gasparai Nutrition's Myofusion whey protein powder , Scivation whey protein powder - all of these can be found on bodybuilding.com!
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    BSN Lean Dessert. Taste great!
  • OatmealBowl
    OatmealBowl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love the Pure Protein® 100% Natural Whey http://www.pureprotein.net/pages/products.aspx?sku=044313
    I'm against the sugar stuff, too. 25g/protein.

muscle milk has a lot, too. but that stuff is yuck!
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey , 24g protein , 120 cal , 1g sugar, 3g carbs, its excellent and tons of flavors

I agree, although I have only tried a sample & it was white choc. which to me tasted like a coffe, lol.. But good & I don't drink coffee... Not grite or anything!!
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I get vanilla and chocolate from GNC when they have it on sale. In the larger containers, ends up about $10 per lb.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options

This is what I got as well after a lot of internet/MFP research. I have the French Vanilla Creme.
  • h0t_m0m
    h0t_m0m Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    So, do you just mix it with water and drink that way or do you try to mix it up with fruits and veggies for a smoothie??
  • FireballStrike
    FireballStrike Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When looking for a protein powder, it was the type of protein in the Jullian Michael's and other brands which concerned me. Jarrow Formulas was suggested by my trainer, it's a bit more expensive, but clean. When pinching pennies, I use Designer Whey.

http://www.jarrow.com/product/181/Whey_Protein_Chocolate_2_lbs

http://www.designerwhey.com/designer-whey/products-powders-natural.htm#AllNatural127ozFrenchVanilla
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    As someone who has used protein supplements for over 20 years and tried many different kinds I would recommend Metagenics BioPure.

I have purchased cheap bulk protein before from Costco or wherever and noticed things like I would get constipated or become gassy or just not feel that great after I would do a protein drink. I was introduced to Metagenics through a friend who is a bodybuilder and his key was to get protein that had not been treated with high heat or acids. If it's treated that way it breaks down the protein in such a way that your body won't aborb it. So what's the use of taking 50 Grams of protein if only 1 or 2 grams gets actually utilied? This protein is not cheap and I am not associated witht he company in anyway. However since using this protein I have gotten stronger and recover more quickly from my heavy lilfting sessions. As with anything in life quality is important especialy when putting it into your body.

All the best!

Arleigh

From their website:
    BioPure Protein is a bioactive, pure whey protein concentrate with naturally occurring immunoglobulins. It is ideal nutritional support for individuals who wish to add a high quality protein to their diet to help promote health and well-being. BioPure Protein is prepared by utilizing a cutting selective transfer membrane process at controlled temperatures and pH to capture active proteins and peptides while preventing the protein from denaturing (becoming inactive). Concentrated Immunoglobulins BioPure Protein supplies a high concentration of naturally occurring, bioactive immunoglobulins (1.7 g per serving). Immunoglobulins are antibodies that function as vital components of the immune response. The standardized process ensures a consistent immunoglobulin concentration from batch to batch
  • eacatterton
    eacatterton Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am also new to the protein powder scene, and recently purchased Eas AdvantEdge Vanilla Soy Protein Powder from Walmart. It had great reviews online. I do not like it at all and I think it is a little high in sugar. I am still using it for now, but not in shakes, I add it to my oatmeal. Gives me the sweetness that I need for it. I am going to try the Jillian Michael Natural Whey Protein Powder next as I hear it has less sugar, plus it is not fake sweetener.
  • redcharlotte
    redcharlotte Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is what we use (love the chocolate). It rocks.