Gaining, not losing WTF?

Options
This is my first week using this fitness pal and I have actually been sticking to my diet and exercise routine. I have been jogging and riding my bike almost everyday for at least 30 minutes. Along with eating mainly fruits, veggies, and lean meats. I weighed myself today thinking I will get the results that Im looking for and I gained 5 pounds! 5 pounds in one week is that possible? Is it muscle or water? Im a little mixed up about this! I cant lose 5 pounds in a week but I can sure gain it. And, I never gained this much in a short period of time before. Is this normal? Thanks for the help and advice guys!

Kristina

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    More than likely water bloating, if anything. Definitely not muscle, no one gains that much of it in so little time. I can't see your diary so I can't really know what's going on with your diet.
  • Kaymoney24
    Options
    Breakfast: Coffee with sugar and milk 14 oz, some kind of fruit like a banana or apple, and a carbmaster yogurt.
    Lunch: homemade beef stew, tuna sandwich, salads with vinaigrette or a little ranch
    Dinner: Homemade beef stew, chicken and veggies, or a tuna sandwich with veggies
    snacks: yogurt, fruits, or peanuts.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Just open your diary from the settings, would be easier for people to see the metrics and make their judgement from that.
  • Kaymoney24
    Options
    I opened it, check it out if you can. Thank you.
  • Rhian_81
    Rhian_81 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi.

How much have you got to lose?

I wouldn't worry about 5lb in a week. There could be any number of reasons for it. Sometimes too much sodium can make you retain water. But, if your exercising and watching what you eat, you should see a difference on the scales next week.

Yum on the beef stew. If its homemade, have you created a recipe? Or selected a homemade one that someone has done previously? In the early days, I was forever creating recipes, that were accurate rather than relying on what other people on here had created without knowing the true calorie value. I'm really glad I did that now, most of the meals I eat are stored now and I don't have to itemise everything. You can edit the recipes too.

Good luck and give it a real chance, it works for lots of people.
  • MissMouse85
    MissMouse85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey, I took a look at your diary and I'd like to hazard a guess that you're retaining water due to sodium intake. I noticed several days where the sodium levels were really high-- and any time I see that in my own diary it translates almost directly to a "gain" on the scale.

What works for me is to do two things: 1) reduce your sodium intake to <2500 mg per day as consistently as possible. Not only does sodium cause water retention and bloating, but it's really hard on your heart. 2) Increase your water intake if you haven't already. It will counteract some of the sodium/flush it from your system, and after a few days you should feel and see less water retention.

Good luck!
  • Kaymoney24
    Options
    I selected a homemade recipe that someone has done previously. I thought about making my own recipe but I already tossed out all the packaging so I figured that will be good enough. Im going to make my homemade green chilli soon and Im definately going to post a recipe for that one. YUM! my fav!
  • Kaymoney24
    Options
    Thank you for the sodium suggestion. I thought about that too but wasnt sure. 5 lbs. is alot for me. I usually fluctuate +/- 3 lbs. but not 5. Im going to lower it and drink more water.
  • Rhian_81
    Rhian_81 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Cool. Don't be downhearted on the gain. You can't actually gain 5lb in a week, not with sensible eating and exercise. Your diary looks great. Just wait til your next weigh in. Skinny Gal is right, drink lots of water to flush any sodium out :o)