What kind of exercises can I do until my sprain ankle heals?

Options
About two weeks ago I sprained my ankle and thought I gave it a good rest and soldiered on with my workouts. Turns out my ankle wasn't fully healed yet and today is the 3rd day I'm giving it to heal. (elevated, iced and wrap.) What workouts can I do to burn some calories today? I usually walk but I don't want to put much weight on foot till tomorrow.

Replies

• kikix5
    kikix5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can always get into a squatting position and start to do punches, great for getting your heart rate up and working the lower body too :)
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    After I sprained my ankle badly, my PT used to have me do the elliptical and stair machine (low impact). He also had me swim and do resistance exercises. Also, punching is a really great suggestion, really gets your heart rate up :)

EDIT: Though, I would be careful while squatting, you are going to have bad balance/weak calf muscles (depending on how bad a sprain you have). Don't just rest it (as that is actually not recommended nowadays), but remember to not overdo it either. Good luck!
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    swim. one legged pushups, anything ab related, shoulder raises with weights, stretching. you should just rest though because if you aggravate it again somehow you will only set yourself back even further and probably risk gaining more weight. good luck.
  • Seamoan87
    Seamoan87 Posts: 106
    Options
    Thanks guys. I usually workout Mon to Friday it's its killing me a little that I can't burn the calories. I might do a few squats and sit ups. :)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm coming off of a foot injury. If you have access to a pool, swim!