New Fitness Challenge, March 24th

Options
I'm not sure what holiday we should use. Since there's a "memorial day weight loss challenge" going on, maybe we should pick a different mile marker to prevent confusion. Any suggestions? Victoria Day, anyone? (May 19?) Mayday?

Anyway, today is light cardio (dance DVD) for 30 minutes.

On my "day off" yesterday I logged over 8,000 steps! Here's to not owning a car. :drinker:

Happy Monday, everybody!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what holiday we should use. Since there's a "memorial day weight loss challenge" going on, maybe we should pick a different mile marker to prevent confusion. Any suggestions? Victoria Day, anyone? (May 19?) Mayday?

Anyway, today is light cardio (dance DVD) for 30 minutes.

On my "day off" yesterday I logged over 8,000 steps! Here's to not owning a car. :drinker:

Happy Monday, everybody!:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    May Day Madness Challenge? Victorious Victoria Day? Victorious Victoria Day for Viviakay's Birthday?:wink:

My vote is Victoria Day since it's exactly 8 weeks from today - that's 2 charts worth. I'm not picky though.

What are the late sleepers doing up so early!!! I got up extra early to go to a weights class. Leaving for Fort Worth today, so I may not have the opportunity later.

8,000 steps is my baseline for being "slightly active" as MFP classifies for your calorie intake (and my average without exercise). Most Americans get fewer than 5,000 steps a day. It's a great idea to wear a pedometer. You will surprise yourself on how much more you want to move - studies have even proven that you will walk further with a pedometer.

Yesterday I didn't really log my calories. It's hard enough figuring out going out to eat without a buffet. I have to remember that the way I make sauteed veggies is not the same way a restaurant will.

Already have a challenge this week - sister's birthday (tomorrow) and the family's Easter celebration (Friday) - both will involve cake! hmmm.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Today is a fresh start for me. It's day one of the elimination diet. I imagine I will be starving all day so that leads me to think I will drink all my water! :laugh: I plan to walk/run this afternoon, and my new fitness goal is to clean for an hour everyday (more would just be an added bonus)!
    Oh, and it looks like we will be working on the mustang again! Wouldn't start this morning and my husband said he didn't hear the fuel pump come on. :grumble: It's almost a full tank this time. Lovely. He's got my car. Guess I'll be WALKING to the farmer's market later!:laugh: Ah the joys of life.
    Have a good day!
    Melissa
  • #1 Fan
    #1 Fan Posts: 15
    Options
    Victoria Day sounds great!

Since I'm new to this thing, what would be the rules or general guidelines?
    I need something to keep me focused or I'll drift out by the end :(

e
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    pick a day guys im in! a challange is always motivating!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Victoria Day sounds great!

Since I'm new to this thing, what would be the rules or general guidelines?
    I need something to keep me focused or I'll drift out by the end :(

e

We set personal fitness (or habit forming) goals and then hold each other accountable.

For example, cardio 3xs a week, sweets only once a week, etc.

You're welcome to join us.
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The plan is:
    55 minute Body Bump class (weight training in a class forum.. slow burn... it's awesome)
    30 minutes of lap swiming
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, viviakay answered it.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    btw i think its a good idea to start a new challenge anyways there are a bunch op people who are new and wernt arround for the last challenge... :drinker:
  • doerayme
    doerayme Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, Yes the body pump workout is excellent. I tried it last week and will be doing it twice a week in between my other workouts. :)
  • #1 Fan
    #1 Fan Posts: 15
    Options
    Have you guys ever heard of Edward Jackowski's Escape Your Shape? He classifies body shapes into 4 categories cone, spoon, ruler and hourglass. I happen to be an hourglass (or it could just be that I can't really determine my shape until I actually lose some weight to get a shape, lol).

Well, its fabulous. Here's his website: www.exude.com

Anyway I bought the book a couple of years ago. Decided I would "escape" my shape with it.

I'm doing the core workout today and tomorrow the off day workout. He's got it set up for beginners, moderate and advanced. Below is the beginners workout.

Core Workout goes as follows: roughly about 50 minutes
    warm-up 10-20 minutes (though I usually do a little bit more)
    stretch 2-4 minutes
    aerobic (brisk walk) 3 minutes
    leg exercises (2 sets 15 reps-2 exercises)
    aerobic 3 minutes
    arms (1 set 15 reps-5 exercises)
    aerobic 3 minutes
    abs (1 set 15 reps-4 exercises)
    arms (repeat)
    aerobic 3 minutes
    cool-down 2-3 minutes

Off-Day Routine: about 40 minutes
    warm-up 20-30 minutes
    stretch 2-4 minutes
    jumping jacks (25)
    breather 1 minute
    jumping jacks (25)
    breather 1 minute
    cool-down 2-3 minutes

He recommends doing core 3 times a week and offday 3-4 times a week. He also strongly suggests that core not be done on consecutive days, but off-day is ok to do back to back.

Anyway....

I think this is what you meant by setting personal goals. I hope, lol!

e

ps. my goal is to do 3 core and 3 off-day per week.
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    Hi ladies! Hope everyone had a great Easter. I took the weekend off from both exercise and logging my food. We had a crazy weekend here with two birthdays and Easter in the mix so I was super busy. I ate well and got plenty of unstructured exercise.

In the spirit of being realistic, my goal will be to lose 8 pounds. One a week and that will put me within five pounds of my goal. I still can't master the art of staying off the scale. I have learned to eat slower and have also noticed how much extra energy I have now that I'm down over 60 pounds.

I will continue to do a 60 minute workout Monday through Friday and hopefully the weather will improve enough to start adding nightly walks.

Happy Monday and Happy Birthday to my son, Logan. Big 5 today...
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    BRING ON VICTORIA DAY!

Okay, here we go. My goals for the next eight weeks:

1. Stay positive. Believe.
    2. Biking for an hour 3x week.
    3. NO eating in front of the TV.
    4. Keep up the great progress I've made so far with cardio/ strength.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    60 min in weight room. I was literally shaking by the end 'cause of my crud. But I finished. We'll see if I'm up to cardio tongiht. May take it easy another day.

I'm in for the Victoria Day challenge, but can someone explain the significance of this day to a Yankee? :huh: My interim goal is May 1st as the wedding I'm in is on the 3rd.

Oh, and personal exciting news, my sash & crown should be arriving in a week or two; I'll post a pic when it does!:flowerforyou:
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

I'm going to change for the gym right now...

Happy day one!
    Angela :flowerforyou:

Hope you feel better soon ariannedavis!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Victoria Day is a British and Commonwealth Holiday, sort of our "summer kick-off day" similar to memorial day.

That's what I've learned anyways.

I like the symmetry of two charts, I guess.
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    bit late logging in well I am up for victoria day.

Goals are
    cardio 4 to 5 times a week (elliptical,stair climbing and jump rope, taebo and elliptical and ?)
    trying to mix it up a bit as I am getting bored and losing motivation so I figure doing something different each time may help.

Weights core secrets DVD 3 x a week.

Walk every day with the dogs (cant get out of this one)

No sweets till I lose another 14lbs.

And spend more time with the kids (its hard juggling exercise and kids)

Oh yes and to lose about 8 lbs (172)
    Good luck everybody
  • dragonscapes24
    Options
    Ok.. I am new to this and so my goal is to walk for 45 mins mon thru sat at 4 mph... and also to do weight training... mon and thurs- lower body... tues and fri- upper body... wed and sat- abs (core)... and do a nice long yoga routine on sunday

My weight goal is 10 lbs which is a little over a pound a week...

Bring on Victoria Day!!!!