I can't chew!

Options
I woke up this morning and the right side of my jaw was so stiff that I couldn't chew anything. I don't know if I was grinding my teeth in my sleep or what... It feels tight when I talk, but doesn't really impair anything other than eating. I was lucky enough to have an extra Slimfast for breakfast and a can of soup for lunch, but I'm way under my calorie count. So until I can get my jaw looked at or ease the pain enough to eat, do you guys know of any liquid or soft foods that are still healthy but will get my calories up?

Replies

• Pihjin
    Pihjin Posts: 63
    Options
    Buy some complan. It's a meal replacement drink for people who have gone through surgery or for whatever reason can't eat solid food.
    Liquidize thick hearty soups too.
  • jobie4153
    Options
    Scrambled eggs...3 egg whites, one yolk. Oatmeal. Pasta..but not too much.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    Hmm, I've never heard of Complan. Where can I buy that?

And I completely forgot about oatmeal! I love it ^^. Oatmeal for dinner! <3
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Ensure, or another nutrition drink given to seniors. They are usually high calorie, high protein, high nutritional value. You should probably go to a chiropractor if your jaw doesn't pop back into place soon. You may get TMJ if it lasts long enough.
  • anabell31
    Options
    Aww... The Student Health Center closed 20 minutes ago... I've been laying on a heating pad and trying to massage it but nothing's helping yet. I'm pretty sure it's happened before but I don't remember what I did to fix it. Thank you guys for the tips and not letting me starve!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Ensure, or another nutrition drink given to seniors. They are usually high calorie, high protein, high nutritional value. You should probably go to a chiropractor if your jaw doesn't pop back into place soon. You may get TMJ if it lasts long enough.

Ensure does not have that much protein or other nutrients and is high in sugar...........

You would be better off getting a high grade protein and some coconut or almond milk.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yeah, go see your Dr. if problem persists.
  • Pkiddy
    Pkiddy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    definitely see the Dr! Have you recently had any infected injuries? say from a rusty nail or something? Not sure about the "chiropractor", i think a regular Dr should be your first visit. and do it soon!
  • anabell31
    Options
    Pkiddy, I was just joking with somebody about getting lockjaw (not something to joke about, I know). I poked myself with a sewing needle about a week ago and it was really sore and a little red for a few days, but it was a brand new needle so I don't know if I should be worried about tetanus or not
  • Pihjin
    Pihjin Posts: 63
    Options
    Complan can be bought in Tescos and Supervalu etc. (I live in Ireland). Sounds similar to Ensure but with more vitamins etc.

I hope you don't have tetanus!!!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    when i had my wisdom teeth out (and got an infection after) my diet consisted of:

Boost
    applesauce
    cream of wheat
    ice cream (this was before i gave a crap about what i ate)
    soup
    baby food!
  • Pkiddy
    Pkiddy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i doubt a new needle would do that, the wound would probably have grown redder and then gotten really infected looking. How are you doing today? did you see the dr??