Going over on sugar

Options
Is anyone else going over on daily sugar recommendations because of fruits? I'm allotted 37 g of sugar, and the daily banana I've been having is 19! If I have cherries and bananas, I go over for the day.

Replies

• JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ashley5704
    Ashley5704 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've gone over on sugar every single day. Fruits have the natural sugar in them, so its easy to go over. :/
  • alltacht
    alltacht Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Same here :/ blueberries and strawberries with my porrdige... So should we be cutting back on fruit or is natural sugar not as harmful to weightloss? Still better than refined sugars I guess!
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I go over just about every day.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I read on another site that sugar should only be in the low 20 grams a day. And fat no more than 30gr/day. No wonder I havne't been losing weight despite working out 4 times a week!
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    Me too, I was looking on the message boards for the first time today and this was my exact question. We need the nurtrients in fruits, but man alive do they pack in the sugars. But I am assuming that these sugars burn off easier than say, Snickers sugars? Or are they one in the same?
  • debbiestine
    Options
    I read on another site that we should only be eating 22grams of sugar a day!
    I thought I was doing so well eating greek chobani yogurt- but that has 19grams of sugar per serving. Also I read almond milk is better than soy milk- but just noticed my vanilla flavored has 15g sugar. I'll be switching to plain greek yogurt and lite milk :)
  • shrdlicka23
    Options
    I only count added sugars for my daily sugar intake. I only eat 1 maybe 2 servings of fruit a day. So whatever my recommended sugar intake is, I only count added sugar like in almond milk, coconut milk yogurt(20g...yikes!) and juices(unless its fresh squeezed by you) for example.
  • nmj1988
    nmj1988 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    How can we get all the benefits from fruit, when basically were only able to have 1 serving due to the sugar levels, it does not make sense to me
  • debbiestine
    Options
    I just googled it and it says not to count sugar from raw fruits-whew!
  • ziggy9802
    Options
    Thanks for checking on it debbiestine. I was floored when looking at my sugar numbers and didn't have a chance to hop online until now.
  • callingbatonrouge
    callingbatonrouge Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I made a carrot and lentil soup today which pshed my sugar way over - just the carrots alone did that ! Sad but true!

BTW can anyone explain why some people just write BUMP???
  • bagogal
    bagogal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had that problem when I started ...always going over my sugars because of all the fruit I was eating. Through a friend of mine I discovered , eating fruit with less sugar such as berries and water melon rather than bananas and grapes which are high in sugar makees a difference....when I did this I saw better results with my weight loss
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I never worry about sugar if it comes from natural sources. I actually totally disregard my sugar intake figures on MFP.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Believe me you can lose weight even when you are over by a bunch every day.
  • fabulousby45
    Options
    bump means to keep your eye on it and it actually saves under "my topics" so you can look at it later!! :flowerforyou:
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    While raw fruit and veggie sugar is BETTER, it still means a higher amount of carbs and sugar in the body. While I don't specifically worry about it, I have read that you should keep it lower - ie, eat a big bowl of spinach instead of an apple if your sugar is getting high for the day.
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    While raw fruit and veggie sugar is BETTER, it still means a higher amount of carbs and sugar in the body. While I don't specifically worry about it, I have read that you should keep it lower - ie, eat a big bowl of spinach instead of an apple if your sugar is getting high for the day.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Even though banana's are nutritious, if you eat them all day it's killing you on card load and sugars!