Sandwich Condiments/Spreads

Options
Are there any condiments or spreads that are great for sandwiches but will not kill my points/numbers in my food calculations? I love mayo but you know how that goes. I'm also trying to stay away from all processed food so I guess ham salad in a container at the grocery store is not an option either. Thankfully, I like fresh coldcuts and I think that will be an option. I totally bypassed ANY sandwich stuff on my first grocery shopping trip for the diet...too afraid.

Replies

• TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Once you stop eating mayo for a couple of months, you totally stop liking the taste. Even if they came out with a 0 calorie mayo now it would be disgusting to me..

Mustard has 0 calories
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I totally love mayo! I could eat it with a spoon. That sounds disgusting, but its true. I have to buy the light versions and only let myself have 1 tbsp and then if I need more I use mustard.
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    I don't usually eat sandwiches, and when I do it's usually loaded with veggies.

For condiments I skip it's only mayo. I still keep ketchup, dijon mustard, and normal relish instead of sweet. 1 tablespoon is usually less than 10calories. I also use siracha (or tabasco) on everything I eat or mix it with equal portion of ketchup. Make your own honey mustard by mixing real honey with mustard?

As for salads, I like tuna.
  • Rhian_81
    Rhian_81 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Could try hummous, I make my own. I haven't for a while, now theres a thought :o)
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Mustard has 5-10 calories per tbsp. I personally put that or honey mustard (20 cals/tbsp) on almost everything. And I never even use anything close to the serving size, so I don't usually log it.
  • psuedoitch
    Options
    Hummus is good, I like to use guacamole or just avacado. :)
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Flavored hummus is a GREAT substitute, and the one I have at home is a roasted tomato and garlic flavor, and for 70 calories per 2 tablespoons, I'm not a complainer :)

If I really need "mayo", I use Light Miracle Whip. If I'm correct, it's 20 calories a tablespoon.
  • tiddy1
    tiddy1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just had a ham sandwich with a small amount of light mayo and spicy grain mustard. Sure wakes up the tastebuds!!!!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love having guacamole on turkey sandwiches/turkey burgers!

I make mine by mashing 1 avocado, then adding

- 1 tsp lime juice
    - dash salt, garlic powder, and chili powder

This usually makes enough for 4-5 sandwiches, and is around 45 calories/serving
  • j3nn14er
    Options
    i could eat red wine vinaigrette on everything! (my favorite is with a turkey sandwich)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    i could eat red wine vinaigrette on everything! (my favorite is with a turkey sandwich)

Yep.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Spicy mustard! Nom Nom!
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use mustard....for a small amount, you get a great flavor!! I also love oil & vinegar =)
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Since you said processed foods isn't an option (an mustard is technically processed) you could try making your own with mustard seeds. There's recipes online and I heard it's great. You could also make a roasted red pepper spread, pesto (light on the olive oil), or homemade ketchup.
  • murfstroo
    Options
    Dijonnaise has 5 calories.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Banana peppers.....I could eat them on every sandwich I make and those alone. Heck...I put them on anything I think will go good....lol
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Mustard has 5-10 calories per tbsp. I personally put that or honey mustard (20 cals/tbsp) on almost everything. And I never even use anything close to the serving size, so I don't usually log it.

I like flavored mustard too---southwest chipotle(6/thsp) right now. The Kroger brand is my fave.
  • KerryB1977
    KerryB1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yellow mustard is my sandwich topper-ZERO CALORIES!!!!! But i've heard if you miss mayo use sliced avocado as a replacement. Good luck:happy:
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    mustard has like 5 calories. Hot sauce has zero calories. other than that I would pick juicy vegetables, tomatoes, avocado, onion..mmmm
  • Lollliiipopzzzz
    Options
    Stay away from sandwiches all together. Cold cuts have a LOT of sodium in them. Numerous studies also showed that processed mean (like cold cuts) lead to stomach cancer. You basically have 2 carbs with a bunch of sodium and carcinogens inside with maybe a slice of tomato and lettuce in the middle.

Instead of cold cuts, bake chicken with no salt added. Use spices such as paprika instead.

Or

Take low sugar, or diet, bbq sauce.. Mix it with Smucker's sugar free preserves. Coat diced chicken with the mixture. Cook it on a skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Take Arnold's whole wheat sandwich thins and you can make a tasty chicken sandwich this way. Or you can have the chicken with a side of quinoa or brown rice with the veggie of your choice.