Advice on how to get more calories in...

Options
Valtishia
Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
I am used to eating around 1200-1300 calories and was told recently that when I exercise that isn't enough. I have found I am able to get higher calories in but seems at the cost of some of my fruits and veggies. I don't like the feeling of being too full and I have no idea how to up my intake without feeling like I have to substitute a few of my fruits and veggies on days I burn alot of calories.
The other thing making my food choices difficult is that I watch my sodium as its the only way to keep my blood pressure in the normal ranges so there are alot of foods that are higher in calories for small amounts but not so great on the sodium... pasta and rice for example.
Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• lauraaww
    lauraaww Posts: 1
    Options
    Try getting in extra calories by the drinks you choose. Substitute water with meals for 2milk or 100% fruit juice. That way you won't get too full off it and will still be able to eat the same fruits and veggies.
  • Valtishia
    Options
    Thanks for the advice about choosing different drinks.

I think I just had an ah-ha moment too. I had been staying away from potatoes cause I was limiting my starches until more recently... and after looking it up found it is high in calories which I need, high in carbs which I have lots of room when I exercise alot and very low sodium :)
    I am going to get some potatoes next time we do groceries. In the meantime any other ideas you all have would be welcomed
  • expressbug
    expressbug Posts: 100
    Options
    Eat a tablespoon of peanut butter on celery or apple...yum
  • reedman
    reedman Posts: 35
    Options
    Have you considered trying Shakeology? I drink it once or twice a day with my meals
  • amysjd
    amysjd Posts: 7
    Options
    i have the same problem! but the idea for drinks...thank you =)
  • Valtishia
    Options
    Have you considered trying Shakeology? I drink it once or twice a day with my meals

that sounds great.. any good recipes?