Do you ever feel like you're just a number?

Options
I feel like most of the people that add me, add me to boost their number of friends. I get no support from them what-so-ever. I'm fairly new here (week 2). Just wondering if this is the norm?

I cleaned out my "friends" today which got me thinking.

Replies

• ionlyhavesporx
    Options
    I have to agree... I generally add people for a couple weeks. If I don't see that they've commented on anything, I delete them.
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I try not to take it too personally. I'm not the type who needs constant attention. I'm happy doing my own thing. some of my friends are more "supportive" than others but I'm happy to have all of them.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    This is what I did today, but generally, most of my friends comment on my stuff at some point or another, so it wasn't TOO bad!
  • bugs5697
    Options
    Agree and double agree.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    I try not to take it too personally. I'm not the type who needs constant attention. I'm happy doing my own thing. some of my friends are more "supportive" than others but I'm happy to have all of them.

I don't know that it's a "need for constant attention" but when someone adds you because they want to be "support" shouldn't they at least do that?
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i enjoy the support, and i enjoy supporting others, some times its just hard to keep track of everyone. there are some days that some of my friends get neglected.. however i do agree i have 1 person in particular that i can think of at the moment, that i ALWAYS support yet ive never gotten any support back. its crazy i feel like it should be a two way street!!
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree. It doesnt help that I'm feeling rather invisible today. If you've seen my pic you'll know that's quite an accomplishment.
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. If I haven't heard from a "friend" in over a month, they are gone.
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    Ah!! I totally agree with this! I think it's a two way street! You can add me if you'd like, I usally log on once or twice a day :)
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Yup! I get friend requests from people who have like 800+ friends. Um, no? You have enough friends. Support your own before you look for more than you can handle.
  • sassycassy
    sassycassy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you! I personally think some people just like to be nosey too!
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't add people with the intention of giving or getting support, to be honest. I've added people who tend to have interesting topic posts or are knowledgable and I like to be able to follow all of their posts. Not trying to be cheeky, just giving another perspective. :drinker:
  • Bexx435
    Bexx435 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have to agree... I generally add people for a couple weeks. If I don't see that they've commented on anything, I delete them.

Ditto. If I was looking to have a bunch of friends who aren't really friends I'd be on Facebook right now.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I post on a few of my friend's comments every day, but not each one every day. I add people who have a similar profession, or are close to my weight loss goals, or who have interesting perspectives to see what neat things they are up to, or who are close to my age/stage of life. There's a wide range of reasons to add new friends. I have only unfriended one person. They seemed interesting, but posted on everything and everyone CONSTANTLY so all my other friend's comments got lost.
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options

I don't know that it's a "need for constant attention" but when someone adds you because they want to be "support" shouldn't they at least do that?

yes they should.-- otherwise what is the point. ALSO I didn't mean to imply that you need constant attention. after rereading that it kinda sounded that way. sorry
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    no not a number i just well feel... "invisible"
  • TracyP111
    Options
    I've had the same issue. But in all honesty, there's only so many times you can tell someone "Way to go" for being under calories. I usually only look for responses when there's a weight loss or if I make a comment on the friends list. At least that's how I tend to do my posts.
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    I use to feel like a number on someone else's friends list when I was a member here in 2010. In fact I use to think it was my "friends" on MFP to be responsible for boosting me up everyday. Then I got over my temper tantrum, my 30 pound weight gain while I was away, and over my ego. Honestly, I've learned only I can keep my spirits up and my motivation to loose weight going and gain a new life. I have to do these things for my well being, so therefore I decided when I rejoined in November 2011, I would not pay attention who praised my gains as I tried to reach my goal. THOSE comments are wonderful, but they are not the reason I am here. :smile:

Add me as your friend if you wish; I won't guarantee I'll reply on your every post, but I will be a loyal friend on MFP and will encourage you weekly to do your best.:flowerforyou:
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    SO gad I'm not the only one!! lol
  • EbonyK
    EbonyK Posts: 92
    Options
    Yeah I feel the same way. People who have added me hardly give me encouragement or support. I try my best to give support to everyone on my friends list.