What to do wth my best friend??Help??

Options
Joe74
Joe74 Posts: 35 Member
Ok, so I've finally go the point where I need to change up my whole routine and I'm starting to weight lift heavy monster weight and my friend can't spot me on the stuff I'm lifting, like chest pressing 110lb dumbbells. I love lifting heavy free weight like that with everything like legs,chest,back...etc... He's 180lbs and I'm 225lbs. I don't expect him to lift my weight but damn atleast give me the drive and support I give you!! When I pick up the weight he says "Dude, your on your own!" and backs up and gives no support! WTF!!!!! That pisses me off to no end!!! I know there's alot of machines I can use that I don't need a spot, but like I said, I use alot of core muscles to stabilize the weight doin free weight lifting. So the question is what do I tell him?!?! Should I workout by myself or what???

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,132 Member
    Options
    You still need a spotter.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's afraid he can't catch the weight if you drop it. You just said he can't life the weights you can. Why would you WANT him to spot you??? That sounds kind of dangerous.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Learn the safe ways of lifting without a spotter.

Don't do your 1RM lifts without a spotter.
    Don't lift to failure.
    Squat in the squat/power rack, the bars will catch a dumped bar.
    Deadlifts won't need a spotter...

Too much to list right now, but you should get the idea.
  • estjames
    Options
    If you are at a gym you can often ask one of the employees to be your spotter since that is what they are there for.
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hey tricky question. Best friend may get insulted when you replace him w/ another spotter, but your ultimate concern is SAFETY.
    So, try to find someone else to tag along, or just tell your friend that you need more help than he can provide at this time. Good Luck!
  • crystalnovara
    Options
    I would tell him that since he doesn't feel he can help you when it comes to your spotting you are going to ask someone else to help you out when it comes to that. It doesn't mean you can't workout together. I really don't think he would be offended since he knows he can't lift what you can.
  • Joe74
    Joe74 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! all of your comments helped! Thanks again!