Do I need to lift weights?

Options
Hi all, after opinions on this. Ive started doing boot camp group fitness 4-5 times per week 45 min sessions. This involves lots of back to basic type exercises like push ups, skipping, squats, lunges, sit ups etc. So no equipment, only body weight resistance. I definately feel my muscles have been working afterwards!

Before starting boot camp I was lifting weights at the gym several times per week using machines and free weights. Do you think I need to continue doing this or do you think the boot camp exercises are enough replacement?

Thanks

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and body fat % reduction.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options

So you want to drop muscle mass and body fat%? strange goal, but if you want to drop both definitely don't lift, do more cardio.

I suggest you figure out what your real goal is since the way you worded it makes it seem like you want to look like someone from Auschwitz.
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should lift weights twice a week. Thats what my trainer has me doing. I am doing intense cardio to drop pounds, and lifting weights to build muscle so that I will burn more calories.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Addison, really?

I understand your goal. Yes, lifting weights is a very effective way to do this. Read New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's very structured. A lot of us here do it and love it.

And check out Staci. (cuz I haven't posted her all day.) http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Febgirl
    Options
    There is no need to be rude, I want to lose around 10kg (weight loss) to bring me into healthy BMI instead of overweight, and reduce my body fat% from existing 28% to 23-25% range. Seems like a perfectly normal goal to me.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I understand what you are trying to say. You want to lose weight in the form of fat, right? Listen to your body. If you can handle both without overdoing it then go for it, but don't burn out and quit both. You are getting strength training with the exercises just using your own body weight. Those are the best kinds of exercises I have found, but after a while you'll hit the ceiling with those and need to add more weight. Just think about it. I learn best from trial and error. Nobody in the world can tell you what is gonna work for you. You just kinda have to figure out how your body works and go with it. Just don't get discouraged.
  • Febgirl
    Options
    Thanks for the other non pedantic comments, the trainer running the boot camp claims that it's a full body workout so no need for other forms of gym work - will see how I feel after another week and may add in some separate weight sessions if I feel I'm not getting the same muscle workout I do from weights.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    It depends on the bootcamp. if it's mainly just bodyweight stuff, I'd add in a day of lifting and see how you feel.