Rewarding yourself!

Options
My husband and I are starting on our weightloss journey, and are working on a list of rewards to give ourselves when we hit a certain milestone! Each reward gets better the closer we get to our goal, and it's super exciting to think about hitting each reward and being that much closer to focusing on maintaining instead of losing! We have small ones to start with, such as new paintbrushes for me when i loose 5 lbs, and new work gloves for him once he looses 5.... then as we loose more the prizes get better... massages and new swimsuits for me, a new carhart and wheels for his car, etc.... exciting! We are going on a cruise in December, and i'd love to be at my goal by then, or at least close enough to be comfortable! :happy:

My question is .... what do you all reward yourselves with when you've hit a mini-goal on your road to being healthy??

Replies

• MandeeSue
    MandeeSue Posts: 153
    Options
    Well I chaged my 1st goal lol..I said when I hit 10 lbs I was going to get my nails done..But the gym where I take MMA classes made new shirts that I feel in love with so I said I would order one of those a LARGE :) instead..So Im really excited to do that..I think goals and rewards are great. Makes you work that much harder to reach that point ! Good luck and can't wait till you start getting your rewards !!
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    thanks!! that sounds like a great reward! i have a dress i can't wait to wear again hanging up in my bedroom and i see it every day!! :)
  • kandire
    kandire Posts: 87
    Options
    We will find out tomorrow if i can schedule my tattoo!!! I know you're sick of hearing about it, but I'm so pumped! LOL.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Clothes. A necessary treat every 25 pounds or so.
  • stubbornmm
    Options
    I'm getting myself a "big green egg" smoker when I hit my goal. It's a pretty pricey cooking toy, but I know I will use it PLUS it's healthy. :) I'm gonna smoke salmon, chicken, veggies, and all kinds of good stuff in that sucker!

I love the picture kandire. What's your tattoo gonna be?

MM
  • latinahada
    Options
    Shopping...I can always find something I "need." . When I hit 25#'s lost I bought a new outfit & I really did need that, as my clothes were all getting too big, especially my jeans. Anyway, when I hit my ultimate goal I plan to get a breast augmentation and then buying a new wardrobe!! Good luck on your journey!! I think it's fabulous that you and hubby are doing it together!
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm personally saving $5 for every pound I lose and for every 50 pounds I lose (I'm planning on losing 150) I'm going to buy myself new clothes since I know that my current ones won't fit that well 50 pounds from now. I'm considering getting pedicures done at 25 pounds though since my feet are just naturally rough (thanks, Mom! ~ oh the sarcasm) and all of the walking/jogging/running that I do on the treadmill isn't easy on them. Although I rather like kandire's idea about a tattoo. I might consider getting one when I'm done with my journey. No clue what I would want it to be though.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I set NO intermediate goals.
    It was ALL or NOTHING.
    I reached my goal in November, but haven't yet honed my calorie intake to a maintenance level.
    I'm close -- been 2# under, 3# over since then, so technically, I'm not finished with my project.
    Why reward partial success?
    Reaching my goal weight AND maintaining that weight is what I want.
    Then, and only then, will I reward myself with a steak dinner at a fabulous steakhouse that's located about 90 miles away.
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Start small with pedicaures, clothes, movies, night out with the honey, and in March a full 2 weel trip to Japan. I know I won't be at my goal, but Im working pretty darn hard right now to do my best at whatever i can get done by then! I will enjoy it reguardless..
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My goal for my first 35lbs was got a game for Wii (ea active 2) . Next goal is at 50 lbs new pair of sneaker but also add to that goal is my first 1 mile fun run/walk. The date of the race is a year to the day of first starting MFP.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    My reward would be to go to London and watch my daughter lift at the Olympics But I will never be able to go. Oh well one can dream
  • michmill98
    Options
    shoes (preferably the fun ones vs the need for work ones)
    a new book
    a single Godiva dark chocolate truffle (I'm a self-proclaimed chocolate addict and I found that I can't give it up completely :happy: )
    spa visits
    clothes
    a new lipstick
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I set NO intermediate goals.
    It was ALL or NOTHING.
    I reached my goal in November, but haven't yet honed my calorie intake to a maintenance level.
    I'm close -- been 2# under, 3# over since then, so technically, I'm not finished with my project.
    Why reward partial success?
    Reaching my goal weight AND maintaining that weight is what I want.
    Then, and only then, will I reward myself with a steak dinner at a fabulous steakhouse that's located about 90 miles away.

I respect your view, but in response to your question ..... of "Why reward partial success" .... it's more of a little boost of motivation to keep on the right track. After all, the final reward is being healthy and happy!! Many people (myself included) sometimes want to cheat here and there, and eventually fall off of the wagon. Sometimes these rewards may only be a pound or two away, and keeping that in mind may motivate us to put down that pack of crackers, skip the sweets, and exercise instead! :smile:

My final reward is a new swimsuit from Victoria Secret to show off my new body in! I never spend very much on myself as far as clothing or swimwear or anything of that sort goes. I have maybe 7 or 8 outfits i wear weekly because i don't like to shop for myself now. Once i'm feeling better i'm rewarding myself with new clothes that can give me a great boost of confidence, and a swimsuit to strut my stuff in on my vacation cruise this December! :glasses:
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options

I respect your view, but in response to your question ..... of "Why reward partial success" .... it's more of a little boost of motivation to keep on the right track. After all, the final reward is being healthy and happy!! Many people (myself included) sometimes want to cheat here and there, and eventually fall off of the wagon. Sometimes these rewards may only be a pound or two away, and keeping that in mind may motivate us to put down that pack of crackers, skip the sweets, and exercise instead! :smile:

My final reward is a new swimsuit from Victoria Secret to show off my new body in! I never spend very much on myself as far as clothing or swimwear or anything of that sort goes. I have maybe 7 or 8 outfits i wear weekly because i don't like to shop for myself now. Once i'm feeling better i'm rewarding myself with new clothes that can give me a great boost of confidence, and a swimsuit to strut my stuff in on my vacation cruise this December! :glasses:
    Whatever works for YOU. As you said, we are all here for the same reason -- to become healthier.

A sports analogy of my reasoning:
    A quarterback might set a record for throwing touchdown passes in a championship game, but the defense is less than spectacular, and the team fails to win the trophy. Yes, he'll have his name in a book of records somewhere, but the overall quest was a failure. So, his reaching an 'intermediate goal' was meaningless in his quest for the big ring on his finger.
  • danner24
    Options
    i just joined today and you guys are great BTW..as for rewards..i get a mani pedi at 10lbs and a massage/spa at 20..we will work on the rest after that ;) EVERYONE needs a pat on the back sometmes..wether it be 1lb or 10..