Tips to keep greens fresh?

Options
So my fridge sucks. We are going to buy a new one sometime soon (maybe this summer?) but in the mean time I am left with a fridge that is either lukewarm or freezes my greens. I have tried different drawers etc and none of it makes any difference..which means that if I want salad then I have to go to the store right when I want it and pretty much have to ditch anything that is leftover...

Are there any tricks I should know about? Any kind of greens that are more tolerant of crappy fridges? I had salad for the first time in forever last night because my MIL brought it over for dinner and it was yum...I would like more of it.

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Is buying a minifridge just for delicate produce an option? You can find decent ones for a hundred bucks or so.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You know...we have a dorm fridge in the basement from college days...I wonder if that would work any better? The only trouble is finding a place to put it and plug it in...hmmmm.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    You know...we have a dorm fridge in the basement from college days...I wonder if that would work any better? The only trouble is finding a place to put it and plug it in...hmmmm.

I think this is a good solution until you replace your big fridge :)
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    I don't know if it would work since your fridge is wonky, but I put my salad in glass mason jars and it stays good for weeks. I saw it on Pinterest and tried it. My shredded lettuce was just as good 3 weeks after putting it in the jar as it was the day I bought it.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Spinach is the only green that goes bad quick in my fridge...have tried many things to prevent moisture formation but nothing works. any tips for spinach?