Worried about not working out

Options
Ok so please no criticism, I know the reasons calorie and body wise I just need support that if I don't work out it'll be ok. Yesterday I didn't net enough calories and now I'm really tired and half a slight headache. I've ate plenty today and drank plenty of water but I don't feel like I have the energy to work out. But I also feel like if I don't work out I'm going to slip back to not working out and not eating right and I don't want that. So to work out or not? And why?

Replies

• Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find that the days I don't feel like working out, I feel better afterwards and am glad I did it. Other days, I try and force myself and have a crap workout. Which is almost worse than no workout at all (emotionally, at least, for me).

That being said, as long as you ate good today, and didn't go over, I say if you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it. The first time I lost 24 pounds it was more by eating right than exercising.

There's always tomorrow :-)
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Unfortunately I did go over today, but I was so far under yesterday do it kind of works out. I'm not over nearly as much as I was under though
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    maybe drink some caffeine to get you going
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you aren't feeling well and don't want to work out..don't. Your deficit is built in already by MFP NOT taking exercise into account. You're weight loss will not be affected if you miss a work out today. It sounds like you're beginning to have a borderline unhealthy relationship with exercise. It's not the end of the world if you don't work out one day..lots of people lose weight barely exercising at all. I'm not saying it's not a good idea...working out will get you there faster, and is very good for your body...just don't panic if you don't get a session in here or there. If it's that big of a worry, just do an extra hard workout whenever you're feeling better!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    Options
    I just got back into working out so I'm afraid to lose my 'routine' that I'm trying to start. That's all
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think you're good. Do you have the energy for maybe some light stretching in front of the tv or something? I always feel like a good stretch, whether I need it or not, feels good. Then there's no need to go to the gym or exert a ton of energy.
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You seem like you want this pretty badly, so I think you'll be fine. You know you want a routine...tomorrow is a new day, start again! Also let this serve as a reminder to hit your calorie goals...if you didn't under eat yesterday, you probably wouldn't feel so crappy today. You gotta eat to lose!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I might do something little but nothing big. I never realized how much not hitting my count affected me until I actually paid attention to my body today.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    If my calorie intake is too low that day I skip my workout. It won't hurt and you'll get right back into it tomorrow.
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    Ya know Has, I believe that we ALL go through that feeling; trick is to reconize that you are in that slump....(and you have). Even Mr Arnold Swartz......(spelling), himself speaks of those feelings and slumps. Its cool. Your writing about it in this blog THEREFORE you know that its an issue and choosing not to ignore that feeling by venting. You'll come around! We're here for you!
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Try doing at least half of the usual workout...bet you will end up doing it all!
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    Alibi-

**by slump, I mean your caloric intake balance; not eating the amount and balancing it out with workouts.
  • Lollliiipopzzzz
    Options
    do a short 15-20 minute workout or just go for a walk. Once you start doing it, you'll want to do more.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've been having really severe headaches lately, so I've been doing more yoga because my usual workouts are too much for me. I totally understand the feeling you're having, though. I did yoga this morning, and though I didn't burn a lot of calories, I felt better because I did it.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I would go for a short walk. Once u get going you'll feel better that u did. But if u dont you will not hurt your weight loss
  • gbers
    gbers Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    maybe change up your routine and work out first thing in the morning so you get it done before the day begins
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I hardly work out at all at the moment due to various problems and have still lost 26 pounds. Of course it is better if you can excercise to tone and strengthen but it is mostly diet for fat loss I believe.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your body is telling you that you need to rest- recovery is a really important part of any training program. Missing one day at the gym won't hurt you. If it is simply a motivational issue, just do what you can- 20 minutes of walking or stationary bike is better than nothing- often times once you start you'll want to keep going. A recovery stretch workout can be good too.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • chaubner008
    chaubner008 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sometimes these days yeild the best workouts, if I know my energy level is a bit low (and I know why) then I go into the workout thinking...Ok take it easy, you are doing it more for the formation of the habit at that point and not so much for the burn (Not every workout has to be super intense, if you are exhausted take it easy and enjoy the process)...So relax, breath a bit deeper, enjoy the movement of your body more instead of worrying about getting that intense (slightly/moderately uncomfortable) burn and do something a bit more 'zen'...I love Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown for this. You will be surprised what you are capable of sometimes if you go in thinking 'I'm not gonna kill myself in this workout today...This one is to keep me steady...It's about the big picture at this point" Good luck, hope it helps...Now move that body