Painful knees

Options
For the past several weeks, I have been using The Firm workout dvds and have ended up with painful knees. Does anyone know of any workout dvds outside of the firm that is not taxing on the knees, but you can still get a good workout?

Replies

• daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I've had two knee surgeries and find that spinning (cycling) is the best cardio exercise with minimal stress on my knees.

Are you taking a day off each week? Do you stretch? Have you been fitted for the correct shoes?
  • Tialove1
    Options
    Yes I have been fitted for the right shoes and I do stretch and to no avail my knees still hurt. I take off at least two days a week, then my knees are okay, but its so painful I can sometimes barely walk afterwards.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If you are having pain, stop and find another activity. Swimming, water aerobics, and biking are low impact on the knees.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It might be worth talking to a physio or other expert to work out exactly what is going on inside to make your knees so painful.
    Strengthening the muscles around the knees can often help, or you might benefit from strapping to provide some support when you exercise. But, without knowing what the problem is, you won't know how to help it.
  • tgbjr1973
    Options
    Not sure about a lower impact workout for you, but Cosamin DS has really helped my knee issues. It is a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement that you take daily and it has made a huge difference for me and other folks that I know who take it.
  • random255
    random255 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've had some knee pain with my hiking. I tried fish oil, which wasn't of any major help. I just recently started trying Osteo BiFlex, not long enough for me yet to know if it will help or not. The reason I'm trying Osteo BiFlex is that my dad's dog was recently diagnosed with arthritis, and the medication the vet prescribed is the animal equivalent of OB, and it works. Yes, I know, it works on a pet isn't the normal reason to try an over the counter medication on a human, but he runs around like a puppy again, and dogs don't have a placebo effect. Anyway, check out some reviews, might be right for you.

If it's the outside of your knee that hurts, you might have an IT Band problem. That's not so bad, it basically means your muscles get used to being in a seated position, to the degree that even when you're standing, they maintain the memory of being seated. There are stretches and exercises meant to deal with this problem in particular.

15991773.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter