Getting started - for REAL.

Options
NS81
NS81 Posts: 192 Member
How did you get started/how many "attempts" did it take you to REALLY start? I will have the best intentions, then out of convenience, I will eat something terrible, then tell myself I'll start "tomorrow" - It seems like no matter how hard I try for this to not be the case... it ends up that way often. I "started" MFP a LONG time ago, and now have started again. I've cut what I eat for the last 2 weeks, and while most days I am coming in very close to my calorie limit, I am aware that the choices themselves haven't been the best. Starting now, I am going to change that - but I'm getting discouraged, and it's my own fault! Lifestyle change is HARD.

Replies

• karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    You have answered your own question which we so often do. Lifestyle change IS hard and there is no real shortcut to getting around the suckiness of the initial "stick to it until it becomes real" part. My best suggestion is to make some friends on here who are serious about their own lifestyle change so you can encourage one another. This has helped me a lot.

Just today is one of those days I feel hungry, tired and blah. Didn't want to exercise (but I did) and really want to dive head first into the fridge. Instead, I am sitting here with a tall mug of hot green tea and checking in with my MFP peeps and holding out my *kitten* for them to kick (nicely) so I don't give in. Otherwise, I would have ingested a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches and be awash with self pity guilt when I finally arose from my junk food induced stupor.

Someone posted on our Fit for Life group (facebook version of MFP) a Nike poster that said it for me:

Every Damn Day Just Do It.
  • NS81
    Options
    I have to do this - I know it's not easy... just frustrated with myself - Thank you!
  • renu74
    renu74 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like you reply Karen. You are right! I guess we all feel that way sometimes. NS81, at least started back on instead of giving it up completely. I have to exercise today and I don't know how, when, but I have to. It might be 9 at night before I hit the gym, but I will try to do it. Also, recently I used to just eat only looking at the carbs (yes, I did the dreadful Atkins diet), today I realized when I went to grab a bag of peanuts for a snack and realized it was 330 calories...I didn't want to enter that amount see the calories for dinner go down...so I chose to eat the cucumber for a snack...23calories is better than 330 calories. This is a good place to eat better and in a balanced way. It is going to be hard, but we all are there for each other to support. Hang in there and you can do it. Good Luck!
  • LOVEJAMIE08
    Options
    I have the exact same story. I started myfitnesspal over 3 months ago but stopped using it because I kept saying "I'll start tomorrow" after eating fast food or something convenient. I've attempted over 5 times to start a diet and exercise plan but today I started FOR REAL! I've done everything from slim fast. Atkins, Jenny Craig, weightwatcher and so on but I never followed through.. I'm ready today.. So far this site is amazing and has great people and a good plan. Keep positive and motivated and look towards people for support. Good luck in your journey! I hope we both succeed:)
  • NS81
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ashtonalayna
    Options
    Hello I hope you will be able to stick with your plan this time around. Don't worry we all hav done the 'I'll start tomorrow thing' I have found that if I hav a couple friends here on MFP I'll do lots better since I don't want 2 b the only one not posting weight loss and having an unhealthy food diary. You can add me as a friend if you think this would help you too.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Seems like there comes a point where something changes inside of you. I said all last year that I was going to start. I hadn't found MFP but I did a number of things off and on and managed to gain another 20 lbs. Lovely! then last November one day, something snapped and I determined to start. Funny thing was that it was a Tuesday in the middle of the day, mid month and not at a good point in my cycle. Normally, I am all about starting on Monday...first of the month...best time in my cycle...etc, etc. I do know all about starting "tomorrow." One day tomorrow will finally come. I wish I knew a good trick to make it happen. But something will (like a particularly horrible picture on facebook). and suddenly instead of making excuses, you will be finding solutions. I wish I could have done it sooner myself. Just don't give up. You are worth the trouble!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I found that the best way to start was not to worry too much about calories initially, but make a comittment to myself to log all my food.
    As soon as I started writing down what I was eating, it made me more aware of which were better choices and my calories started to come down.
    Or, try to change one thing at a time - make sure you have a healthy breakfast every day for example, or swap a sugar-laden coffee drink for a long black and a gentle stroll.
    Don't be too hard on yourself to get started - I initially set up my goals with just a 1/2pound a week loss and found that once I got going I lose weight much faster than this, but because I was being realistic, it made it easier to get started and keep on going.
    That was over a year (and 22kg) ago!
  • NS81
    Options
    I appreciate the encouragement - and as much as I wish it could be easier for everyone to reach their goals, it helps to hear that other people have had to struggle too - it means it isn't just me (which is how I feel once in a while with this!) Thank you all!