Low Glycemic Diet...Has anyone tried it?

Options
Hey Everyone,

I've been hearing a lot about the low glycemic diet helping with PCOS (which I have) and weight loss. I was just wondering if anyone on here has tried it and what you thought of it. Any recommendations or tips?

Thanks!

Replies

• mander1621
    Options
    Or even the South Beach Diet? Considering that one as well.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Or even the South Beach Diet? Considering that one as well.

I follow South Beach because I want to do what I can to prevent diabetes and heart disease. I see weight loss as a bonus here. The best part is that after the first 2 week I lost my cravings for sweets and starches. Feel free to view my diary and "friend" me.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have great success eating Paleo. It is low glycemic, since it is grain, starch and dairy free.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    i had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy. I did low GI when I was pregnant. Being that my favorite food group is breads with sugar on them, I am glad I didn't have to do it forever, but, really it wasn't *terrible*. I have lots of Type 1 diabetes (hereditary) in my family, I am used to someone always watching their sugars and carbs.

I hope you get more PCOS-geared responses, because I have fortunately never had to deal with that.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Following this way of eating will help a lot. In doing this you might also find cutting out gluten is helpful. One step at a time
  • mkitts2011
    Options
    To preface my reply, I am significantly overweight and have been diagnosed insulin resistant since I was 9, although I think I have been my entire life.

I've tried South Beach and it worked great for me. I lost 44 lbs in about 3-4 months by eating their recommended diet (lots of veggies, lean meat, FF dairy, and some fruit, nuts and whole grains in combination with working out 6X a week. I felt amazing. However, it was too restrictive for my lifestyle (I was in college at the time, living on a meal plan) and I got bored eating the same things. I ended up gaining all the weight + 35 lbs back after about a year.

Since being on MFP I have being doing a combination of Paleo, South Beach and moderation eating and it's worked great! I do need to work on eating more vegetables but for the most part I eat pretty dang well. I plan my meals based on their GI impact along with the timing of my day. For example, if I am laying around the house being inactive I will have protein shakes, nuts, meat and low-GI veggies. I try to restrict my grains/starches/higher GI foods for after workouts or long periods of activity and I ALWAYS eat them in combination with some kind of fat/protein to slow down how quickly they're digested.

Since I have insulin problems, this method has greatly helped me control my hunger and lose weight. It also helped me bring my inulin tolerance down from a 39 to 25 in one month, >17 being healthy. Be sure to include exercise as part of your lifestyle. It increases insulin sensitivity and helps to keep your body out of a fat storage cycle.

Here is an amazing article on low GI eating and how it aids in weight loss and heart health: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/#axzz1kmebe5xz

ETA: I have PCOS too. After I did South Beach for 4 months I had one natural cycle on my own. They stopped again when I went back to my old habits. Metformin will also help. Recommended dosage is 1500-2000 for cysters. It is very helpful to see a reproductive endocrinologist.
  • patch06
    Options
    I too am looking for a low glycemic diet as i suffer from PCOD. It causes me to be very lazy and it takes forever to lose weight. This totally kills my motivation. Diet plays a big role and since my body behaves like its resistant to insulin, please help me out with an easy diet i could follow!
  • mander1621
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! :D I'm thinking of doing a combination of South Beach & Low GI...I haven't had a natural cycle in about 3 years...I took Metformin 1500mg for about 2 years but, it really didn't do anything. I stopped taking it about a year ago but, when I go for my checkup later this week, I'm thinking of asking about going back on it and maybe working up to a higher dose. I'm hoping that the higher dose Metformin with the new diet and exercise (I REALLY have to get motivated on that!) will help me get back to normal (or at least somewhat normal).

Do you guys have any snack ideas? That's always where I have the hardest time on diets. Meals I can do but when it comes to snacks, it's always a struggle.
  • issyfit
    Options
    Do you guys have any snack ideas? That's always where I have the hardest time on diets. Meals I can do but when it comes to snacks, it's always a struggle.

For snacks I like: nuts, veggies and dip, pork rinds, Kashi or South Beach granola bars, devilled eggs, popcorn, sweet potato chips (but I have trouble controlling quantities with these so not very often), Carbmaster yogurt.
  • rochelly_belly
    rochelly_belly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    great advice from issyfit

I too have PCOS and IR. I found South Beach worked great for me, I lost about 30 lbs. I started working on low GI as well and made some simple swaps. I can really tell the difference in my mood and energy when I eat like this. Also, my face started clearing up. I find that on days when I feel really great, I will check my bs levels a few times just to see, and they are coasting in that good range, never getting too high or too low. I never realized how often I was having low blood sugar issues while dieting, and how sabotaging that could be.

I didn't like MET, lost some weight on it that stayed off but after I hit a certain amount I didn't lose anymore, even increasing it.

Good Luck, and I agree that if you can see an endocrinologist, great!
  • seahorsewahine
    seahorsewahine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started a group for all of us PCOS ladies that are trying low glycemic lifestyles! Come on over a join me...

It is called:

PCOS and Low Glycemic Eating
  • stephenson6
    Options
    Hi,

I am following the Metabolism Miracle and I think it would be described as a low glycemic eating plan. It's a 3 step program, where you rest, reset, and reprogram your body to release the proper amount of insulin. The most carb controlling step only lasts 8 weeks, and then after that, you slowly and systematically add most lower/mid glycemic foods back into your diet. What's great is that it is not restrictive at all, and when you add the carbs back in, you continue to lose weight.
    It is different from Atkins or South Beach because they are very restrictive and once you stop, you put the weight back on. This plan is a lifestyle and each step allows more freedom and choices.
    Though I do not personally have PCOS, it is helped on this plan. I do, though, have type 2 and I've lost 50 pounds of fat and have been able to eliminate my cholesterol and BP med and decrease metformin by 50%. I joined MFP a couple months after starting this plan, as I like to keep track of what I eat, but it's not required.
    Check it out. The author, Diane Kress, is a certified diabetes educator and registered dietician.
    Http://www.themetabolismmiracle.com
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    It is different from Atkins or South Beach because they are very restrictive and once you stop, you put the weight back on. This plan is a lifestyle and each step allows more freedom and choices.

Please don't spread misinformation. I don't know much about South Beach but this is not true of Atkins. Atkins is only restrictive for the first two weeks and then you gradually add back in more carbs (5 carbs/day each week) until you hit your sweet spot where you still lose, still feel good, and continue to lose weight. Depending on how people respond, some people are able to get up to 100 grams/carb daily, some even more. Of course, some less. However, you do not regain the weight unless you go back to old, bad eating habits just as you would with any eating plan. I know way too many people who have kept the weight off for years after losing it with the Atkins plan to believe otherwise.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I have PCOS too and a low glycemic diet really helped me lose what I've lost. It wasn't overnight and it's no miracle diet but it's highly recommended for PCOSers and it works well if you stick to it.
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have seen a couple of dieticians (one who is a friend and another my doctor referred me to) and they have both recommended low GI, low fat and low sugar but to also ensure that I do not cut the carbs down too low.

Plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, controlled protein, low sodium and carbs (ensuring that there are a good portion from whole grains). Also ensure that you are eating at regular intervals (I now eat every 2-3 hours)

The idea is that this sort of lifestyle change is the least restrictive and will provide long term sustainable results.

Low GI provides you with a more balanced release to avoid the ups and downs.

I am now never hungry - sticking to the 5 "meals" - feel like I have more energy, waking up easier and no longer having the cravings for sugar.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options

For snacks I like: nuts, veggies and dip, pork rinds, Kashi or South Beach granola bars, devilled eggs, popcorn, sweet potato chips (but I have trouble controlling quantities with these so not very often), Carbmaster yogurt.

I am very confused about if popcorn is actually low GI or now. I've read that it's medium, low, but usually I read that it's high. Even the air popped kind. You get so much of it for so few calories it seems like an okay option.
  • issyfit
    Options
    I am very confused about if popcorn is actually low GI or now. I've read that it's medium, low, but usually I read that it's high. Even the air popped kind. You get so much of it for so few calories it seems like an okay option.

I don't know the GI of popcorn but on South Beach we are allowed up to 2 cups a day and it counts as a starch serving like any other whole grain. We have a microwave popper that doesn't require oil and it comes out delicious.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I am following the Metabolism Miracle and I think it would be described as a low glycemic eating plan. It's a 3 step program, where you rest, reset, and reprogram your body to release the proper amount of insulin. The most carb controlling step only lasts 8 weeks, and then after that, you slowly and systematically add most lower/mid glycemic foods back into your diet. What's great is that it is not restrictive at all, and when you add the carbs back in, you continue to lose weight.

Your plan sounds a lot like Atkins, nothing wrong with that because I think Atkins is a perfectly legit diet. I don't get why people always criticize Atkins as if people only regain weight on Atkins, but in reality all diets will fail if the person doesn't stick to them for a lifetime in some maintenance phase. Even simple calorie restriction...once you hit your goal weight, if you don't keep on top of it, you will slowly revert back to your old eating habits and gain weight.
  • Hmarbury9
    Options
    I have thought about the LOW GI diet being that i have PCOS too, but when i looked int he PCOS Diet cookbook i dont find very many user friendly receipes and i cant cook :/ Let me know how it works out for you! :)
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and a low glycemic diet really helped me lose what I've lost. It wasn't overnight and it's no miracle diet but it's highly recommended for PCOSers and it works well if you stick to it.

I agree. As soon as I started eating a low glycemic diet, I lost 35-40 lbs in a matter of months. It was insane what that kind of diet can do for you. And I have spent YEARS of not being able to lose. I have a TON of recipes if anyone wants some ideas. Also a few sites I use a lot. Hope this helps!