Low-Carb?

Options
Anyone having any great success with low-carb? I've been doing it for a couple of weeks and can already tell a difference in my stomach - just wondered if anyone's had any real long-term success with it...

Replies

• fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i have...well only 3 weeks and already i can tell a huge difference. I'm following the 17 day diet principles but sort of adopted my own diet and it is really working for me. I cut out completely breads, pastas, rice, sugar, red meat, potatoes, and pop...but i eat lots of fruits/veggies, low fat yogurt, low fat dairy, lean meat, nuts, eggs and egg whites and allow myself to have oatmeal. This week i'm going to switch to allowing myself to have two serving of carbs two times a day every other day! this has worked for me...good luck!
  • 1resolute
    Options
    I did the Adkins diet once for 21 days and lost 21 pounds. But I have always preferred carbs over meat, and thus I couldn't keep it up. I missed pasta and once those carbs went back in my mouth they tasted like heaven on earth. If you can keep it up it seems to work great, but can you really sign off on carbs for life? Good luck and I hope you can keep it up!
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem as 1resolute; I love carbs.

Yes, I lost weight on a low carb diet, but I had no energy for my workouts (even after two months), and I gained everything back and more -- and FAST when I started incorporating carbs back into my diet.

My suggestion is to adopt an eating plan you can maintain for the rest of your life. I'd rather lose fat at a slower pace while feeling like I'm barely on a "diet" and actually maintain my loss long-term. So far, I haven't felt even slightly deprived, and I'm losing fat and inches; "everything in moderation" is something I can maintain -- and with very little effort.

Best of luck to you!
  • gardengals
    gardengals Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    hello and good job! I have been doing lo carb for the last year and it is exactly the right thing for my body. I seem to react to the sugars and now when I eat something super carby I feel totally gross and nauseas. Be sure to read up on it so that you are informed. I also use the glycemic index when selecting my fruits and vegies.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    How many carbs do you aim for a day? I aim for 50g a day (I don't calculate net carbs etc) and find I lose weight easily, my moods swings have gone, brain fog has gone and I have more energy than I had before and plenty of energy and strength for weight training sessions at the gym. This level of carbs seems to suit me - less than 30g a day and I feel really deprived, over 60 a day and I gain weight even on a 1200 calorie diet. I do need to plan ahead for meals (can't just grab a sandwich) but it's a small sacrifice for weight loss especially when it's a way of eating I really enjoy. I just make sure I don't crazy with Aitkins induction style eating - a good balance of meat, eggs, veges and a little dairy and fruit.
    All the best with your journey!
  • maxime7
    maxime7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins in 2003 - lost 80 lb and felt great! No stomach issues (I have always tended to have some reflux), no cravings once you get past the induction, and a food plan I could follow because there were no "portions of this" and "so much of that." It was plain and simple...I just COULD NOT eat certain things. Now, I realize that in the long run, you are supposed to be able to add some (but probably never all) of these items back into your way of eating, but I never got that far. I got greedy - I never felt like I could get enough off. I was still around 175 when I gave up...it was like I just woke up one morning and could not eat another piece of meat to save my soul. And the pounds came on...not one by one but two by two or more...and before I knew it I was back up above my start weight. It didn't happen overnight, but I assure you that it went back on just as quickly as it came off. And believe me, it came off fast!

So, here's my take on it...and this is just my own personal opinion: I know that there is this "secret" of low carb...this way that I could lose it all if I had to. I would just have to do it, and commit to a lifestyle that I'm not ready to commit to, yet. I would have to know that this life would mean feeling good, looking great, but always struggling to tow the line, find food I can eat, pay exorbitant prices for an airport or fast food sandwich only to request it without the bun or the other "fixings" and of course nothing to accompany it, always look for that salad with a piece of meat on it and pray they have REGULAR dressing and not low fat (which often has added sugars or carbs), always feel like a pain when my husband wants to go out to dinner because I "can't eat certain things." I travel for work, so this may not be as difficult for some folks as it is for others. I look back and I can't believe that I did it for as long as I did (well over a year).

I know a lot of people will agree that this is the way to go and many will say that a balanced diet is healthier. In the end, I say that what works for me is the healthiest for ME, because for me it has to be better than being obese. And the way my mind and body work is that if you tell me I just can't have something...at all...then I do better than if you tell me I can have a half cup of it.
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am following 17 day diet ~ started november 1st and have been 100% faithful to it. 50 pound loss in 3 months - its working for me.
  • jessica36340
    Options
    I did but I fell back into old habits and gained back all I lost but do have several friends it worked for and they have been successful at maintaining the life style. Like anything else it has to be a life style change it will work if u stay focused and don't fall into old habits.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I eat roughly 100 carbs per day and it has helped me tremendously
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I think many people going on a low-carb plan make a few key mistakes which greatly over-complicate things.

#1. You only stay very low carb (20 grams/day) for two weeks. That's it. Then you add in 5 grams/day for a week, then another 5 grams, etc., until you find the sweet spot where you still lose weight without feeling deprived. Everybody will find a different level that works for them. For many of us, we can get up to a fairly decent carb level without a problem which makes it much easier to eat out and eat foods that were previously off-limits. Especially if they do #2.

#2. Exercise. So many people have the impression that they can do Atkins without exercising. Not so. It's specifically required in the Atkins books I have read (although I haven't read any of the versions since his passing so they may have changed that). But, look, if your body has problems with carbs, exercise if the most important thing you can do to help your body process carbs better. Not to mention all the other things that exercise does for you.

#3. Once you reach your goal weight, you move even further up the carb ladder by, again, adding in 5 grams/carb for a week, see how that goes and, if you don't gain, add in another 5 grams/day that week, and so on.

I currently like to keep my carbs in the 80-100/day range because I feel best that way and can continue to lose. But if I plan it right and eat the carbs right before or after a very intense workout session, I can easily eat that much in a single meal without any long-term negative impact. I don't do this every day but I do it at least once a week. Yes, I eat pizza or lasagna or cinnamon rolls or whatever at least once a week and then I just hop right on the lower-carb train and ride it for another week or so. I sometimes do this more than once a week if I'm in a situation where lower-carb foods are difficult to find but I do think it's better to keep it to once a week.

This is the way you make lower-carb eating a sustainable lifestyle choice without feeling deprived. And without feeling a need to gorge yourself on carbs once you have a taste of them.

Sure, my weight loss is slower than some folks who keep more strictly to low-carb but this isn't a race, it's a lifestyle change and I'm confident that I'll keep my weight off because I really can't imagine eating any differently than I am now when I'm at goal.

I should add that, in the past, I did try to stay at induction levels and I felt very deprived and would gorge on higher-carb foods once in awhile and make myself feel like crap. Once I got it into my head that this was not following the Atkin's plan as he designed it, and that perfection is not required, I began to really enjoy this way of eating and my occasionally splurges without any guilt or bad effects.

Hope this helps a bit.
  • visvesh
    Options
    Hi,

I am an Indian. Can any body suggest a low carb food recipe which can be made like Chapati or Dosai etc.

Because having only vegetable and fruits have some practical difficulty. If you can suggest an easy home made low carb recipe i can get it cooked from my mother.

Having something solid will also fill our stomach and we will not feel hunger for some time. Kindly suggest.

Thanks for all your support.

Visvesh
  • psychRN83
    psychRN83 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I really like the Primal Blueprint way of life which is lower carb and is similar to what people call the " caveman" diet. I have problems feeling sluggish so when limit my carbs i feel a lot better and do not need to nap during the day . I have also finally started to lose weight again. I modify it to basically eat lean protein, veggies, nuts, fruits, and seeds. I also allow myself dairy and oatmeal.
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 weeks into a Primal diet that kicked off because of a bad bout of food poisoning. I lost almost 20 lbs that week, and felt it would be foolish to throw that kick start away and go back to my old eating habits. So far I've lost a total of 28 lbs. I'm trying to keep my carbs to 10% of my diet. I've cut out all sugars, wheat, gluten, etc.

Seems to be working great for me so far!

Good luck all!
  • juen59
    juen59 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have had success with low carb. I am a protein person-if I eat protein, I have more energy. Carbs make a slug out of me. But I still LOVE the carbs and I can't do without them totally. I have found that if I plan my day out, I can have my carbs and lose weight too. I
    try to keep my carb count to < 100 a day. So if I want a certain food with high carb count, I plan for it and make low carb choices for the other meals on that day. I found that since I am not denying myself totally, I can have a few bites of the carb/comfort food and be totally satisfied.
  • Angiehankins77
    Options
    I have switched over to low Carb after another person in here suggested I watch fathead, its a movie and it really enlightened me!
    I try to keep my carbs under 50, some days 20's, and losing weight. About 1-4 pounds a week. I love this way of eating because I can make it a lifestyle change. Way more energy too, I exercise 3-4 x a week.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im under medical advice to follow a low-carbohydrate intake, but due to food allergies/sensitivities, I had no choice but to rid myself of the common high-carb ridden foods: pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, corn, majority of flours - my body just does not digest them well, in fact my insulin production does not shut off very well. Damn near had me hospitalized many years ago...

I could EASILY live this lifestyle permanently...
  • htalexander
    Options
    I think this is great advise. This is basically going to be my plan of attac=)
  • Poetic_
    Poetic_ Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've been on low carb since the 1st of the year and love it. I'll probably modify it greatly once I get down to where I want to go, but slowly.
  • Chubby_Bunny10
    Options
    I have had a good experience! Many people tell me that you will only gain the weight back with a low carb diet. However 2 years ago I lost a good 12lbs with the 1st phase of the south beach diet and have kept that weight off. Even though I fell off of a healthy diet for over a year I was still able to keep the weight off. However I did exercise alot. I think low carb is a great diet to keep and maintain healthy as long as you are getting in good carbs in the morning and staying away from carbs in the afternoon and at night. It is also good to have cheat meals here and there! hope this helps! =)
  • Louisa1979
    Louisa1979 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have been the Dukan diet and its the first diet I've been on that I haven't felt hungry on. For me it really works as its lean protein (not high fat) and after the intial Attack stage you can have veg and salad. Quite tough but really works if you stick to it.