WW for a year = only 8 lbs. lost. What's up with that?

Options
2»

Replies

• indigochilds
    indigochilds Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I did WW 2 years ago. I think I did it 2 times.. But it took me a full year to lose 10 lbs. and I think I was given 22 pts every day.
    I'm 5 feet tall and was 27 at the time. Even though I loved the meetings. I realized the program wasn't for me. how ever I learned alot of things which I am very thankful for.

But when I first joined MFP. in January 2011 to manage to lose 10 lbs in 2 months eating at a NET of 1200. The second time, January 2012 I lost 10 lbs in one month. netting at 850 - 1200 range.

So I would say stick with MFP for at least a month or so and see how it works for you. If you manage to drop the 10 within 2 or 3 months compared to a whole year. Then you have your answer.
  • fredab5
    fredab5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm inspired by some of your stories. There's hope for me yet. Thanks everyone!
  • ElisaMarie82
    Options
    Sounds like you're one of the unfortunate people like myself who can't eat their exercise calories back! I get very upset when people tell me that I'm not eating enough because I don't eat my exercise calories! One thing those people need to know is, "What works for some, may not work for others"! Stick with your same exercise routine as you usually do, and shoot for 1,100- 1,200 calories a day, and give yourself a little cheat day of Saturday to boost that metabolism! (I also take 20 mg's of Lexapro:) Good luck! I hope you find what works for you! :smile:
  • ElisaMarie82
    Options
    You should definately have your Thyroid levels checked.

Comments like this upset me! When I weighed 198 pounds I swore I had thyrhiod issues or something medically was causing my weight gain. I spent over $700 in blood tests, and multiple doctor visits for the doctor to tell me that I have nothing wrong with me. I always hear "Thyroid problems", "Medications", "Fast Food" and all sorts of other excuses for being overweight. WAKE UP PEOPLE! Hold yourself accountable! Do not make my embarrassing pricey mistake by crawling to the doctor in hopes for him to give you a reason as to why you're fat! (Of course not calling anyone here fat, just saying, learn by my mistake!:)
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    HI, I am 47 years old and 30 lbs. overweight. I was on WW for a year (May 2010-May 2011) and followed it very closely. I exercised 3-4 times a week by walking 2 miles/day. I ate my extra 35 points and my earned exercise points. It was very slow going, but in 4 months I lost 8 lbs. A friend noticed my weight loss and joined up. The next 8 months I would lose 1/4 lb. one week, then gain 1/2 lb. the next week, and so on. Meanwhile, my friend lost 27 lbs. in 4 months. She's a few years older than me and didn't even exercise, yet in the same amount of time (4 months) she lost 27 lbs. while I only lost 8! GRRRR!!! While I was truly happy for her, I became so frustrated I quit and now, 7 months later, have gained those 8 lbs. back. Could someone please give me an opinion on WHY I can't seem to lose weight? I am on a low dose of Lexapro and with Dr.'s consent cut my dosage in half, but it hasn't helped. Maybe it's my age or slower metabolism? :sad:

I also had trouble losing on WW a couple of years ago. Even though I was staying on plan and working out with a PT I just couldn't seem to lose more than a fraction of a pound one week and then gain a bigger fraction the next week. Very frustrating. I quit going and my weight really started to climb. Through trial and error and a lot of journalling I discovered that I had an intolerence to wheat. Now I avoid as much wheat as possible and have lost 20 pounds so far.

I joined WW again a month ago but now that I have found MFP I will most likely give up my WW membership. I really like MFP. It has all the tools I need, some really great people willing to give some great advice, and lots of support. And the best part is that it is FREE!
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm a WW refugee, the new plan is ridiculous and if I stick to it religiously I gain weight. The reason? If you eat just the points given you will be on 1000 to 1200 calories a day. When you add in fruit and vegetables, your weekly points and exercise points you are probably over 1800 a day. I don't lose at that level - I have a sedentary job, commute for 3 hours a day and am in my 50's ( and permanently knackered). I and a lot of others have posted on WW website numerous times pointing this out and they have now adjusted the plan slightly. It's still not going to work for many of their customers though.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    HI, I am 47 years old and 30 lbs. overweight. I was on WW for a year (May 2010-May 2011) and followed it very closely. I exercised 3-4 times a week by walking 2 miles/day. I ate my extra 35 points and my earned exercise points. It was very slow going, but in 4 months I lost 8 lbs. A friend noticed my weight loss and joined up. The next 8 months I would lose 1/4 lb. one week, then gain 1/2 lb. the next week, and so on. Meanwhile, my friend lost 27 lbs. in 4 months. She's a few years older than me and didn't even exercise, yet in the same amount of time (4 months) she lost 27 lbs. while I only lost 8! GRRRR!!! While I was truly happy for her, I became so frustrated I quit and now, 7 months later, have gained those 8 lbs. back. Could someone please give me an opinion on WHY I can't seem to lose weight? I am on a low dose of Lexapro and with Dr.'s consent cut my dosage in half, but it hasn't helped. Maybe it's my age or slower metabolism? :sad:

WW do not count fruit do they?

Did you used to eat a lot of fruit? If so, that may have been part of the problem, fruit has calories and may have been pushing you up high. Although WW lets you eat as much fruit as you wish, fruit still contains calories - banana approx 70, apples approx 60, oranges approx 70 etc. Eat say five or six pieces per day and it wouldn't take long for that calorie amount to go above 400 - even though WW do not count fruit!

If a food or drink has calories, count it, all of it and only then can you see exactly what you are consuming.

Calories in -v- Calories out - be at a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • snookybear
    Options
    Hi Freda I am 50 and struggling to lose 50lbs more, (only 9 so far) I think the trick is not to "eat" the extra calories
    "earned" by exercise unless it's really intense. (eg not just walking or weights).
    And as another "December child" agree watch the fruit intake!.
    Best of luck
    Joy
  • aniwani
    aniwani Posts: 110
    Options
    Make sure you are exercising smart ... do strength training ... women tend to stray off the weights for fear of bulking up, but if you are over weight and eating at a calorie deficit , you wont bulk, and you will burn three times as many calories as cardio. Make sure you are mixing up your routines, usually gyms have a free personal training session when you join. If you can buy a session or take advantage of a free one, ask someone to show you a proper routine. Make sure you are working major muscle groups ie. your back, shoulders, triceps, biceps, butt, but and thighs. you will be shocked how sore your abs will be the next day with out touching them directly. Remember this website is based off a life style I recommend you set yours to sedentary so if you miss a day or too you are still looking at accurate numbers. Make sure you are eating lots of fiber, and lean meat. Avoid carbs as much as possible. We all tend to go run on the treadmill or elliptical and go grab a carb heavy meal after. Unfortunately we are eating back our calories, because the body is not repairing muscle and continuously burning calories. I used to work so hard at the gym and get so discouraged because nothing was happening, but since I started lifting, I have lost a huge amount of weight and despite my worst fears I didn't bulk at all. Getting a physical is also never a bad thing, tell you doc your goals and they might actually be able to advise you on some body supports while you continue your journey. Don't get discouraged you'll make it happen!
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    i always lost with ww in 2010 old plan I lost 11lbs in 4 weeks then 57lbs in 8 months I never eat my exercise calories on ww and always weighed and measure and tracked everything.
    Some plans dont work for some slimming world doesnt for me too high carbs or rosemary conerly thats calorie counting but low and no eating any exercise cals although the class is an aerobics class each time so i think that I was having too little calories with 3 classes a week.
    Always try different plans thn see which works we are all different :) x