Hrm Oregon doesn't clock up calories burned

Options
i bought a hrm and it came yesterday, it's a Oregon scientific model se122. Hubby set up all my details and it is showing my heart rate, but it's not clocking up calories burned, does anyone know why ? I have only tried it while doing a ten min aerobics, but my heart rate was in the 120's so surely at least one calorie should have been burned. Any suggestions ?

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I used this website: http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

Assuming a person of 150 lbs who is 42 for 10 min at 120, it should show 107.

Not all HRM show calories, I think - if there is a space for it, then that's strange. You might have to calculate it though.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    i bought a hrm and it came yesterday, it's a Oregon scientific model se122. Hubby set up all my details and it is showing my heart rate, but it's not clocking up calories burned, does anyone know why ? I have only tried it while doing a ten min aerobics, but my heart rate was in the 120's so surely at least one calorie should have been burned. Any suggestions ?
    Is the model one that says it should have that feature?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I looked online and it should do calories, you should probably read the manual that came with it to see how to do this
  • Debx12345
    Debx12345 Posts: 210
    Options
    Yes this model has a feature that clocks up calories burned while exercising, but mine just stays at zero, so either it's not working correct, or I'm not burning calories, which when doing a workout you would hope you are!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Yes this model has a feature that clocks up calories burned while exercising, but mine just stays at zero, so either it's not working correct, or I'm not burning calories, which when doing a workout you would hope you are!
    Good suggestion on rechecking the manual and seeing what tips that has to say on troubleshooting, probably a website/phone numeber to call the company as well if there's an issue.
  • Debx12345
    Options
    Just figured out I need to start the stop watch on it to show calories burned, doesn't mention this in manual though, so can't wait to try it tomorrow!!
  • Debx12345
    Options
    Just figured out I need to start the stop watch on it to show calories burned, doesn't mention this in manual though, so can't wait to try it tomorrow!!
  • loGIJane
    loGIJane Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this as I just got one of these today and couldnt figure it out either. Did you work out how to reset the calories back to 0 for starting a new workout?
  • hzdebo
    hzdebo Posts: 1
    Options
    I just bought one too, used if for the first time this morning on a 2 hr hike ... all my settings are ok, have set upper and lower heart rates and these all flashed at appropriate times, but calories stayed at 0.
    Are you saying that you need to start the stop watch at the begging of your work out and then you can press the KCAL button and calories will then showup?