3 Surprising Reasons to Give Up Soda

Options
Yahoo! Health
http://bit.ly/ydgyL2

Extracted from there:

Shocking Soda Fact #1:
Soda fattens up your organs
A recent Danish study revealed that drinking non-diet soda leads to dramatic increases in dangerous hard-to-detect fats.
... And don’t think switching to diet varieties will save you from harm: Artificial sweeteners and food dyes have been linked to brain cell damage and hyperactivity, and research has shown that people who drink diet soda have a higher risk of developing diabetes

Shocking Soda Fact #2:
Soda contains flame retardants
Some popular soda brands, including Mountain Dew, use brominated vegetable oil—a toxic flame retardant—to keep the artificial flavoring from separating from the rest of the liquid.

Shocking Soda Fact #3:
Drinking soda makes you a lab rat
Many American soda brands are sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, a heart-harming man-made compound derived mainly from genetically engineered corn. The problem? Genetically engineered ingredients have only been in our food chain since the 1990s, and we don't know their long-term health impacts because the corporations that developed the crops never had to test them for long-term safety.

Replies

• thesameas
    thesameas Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm glad I quit drinking soft drink in september! Thanks for the info.
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks, was craving a diet coke, don't feel like it now, I think i'll have a water, Cheers i really needed that post.
  • cscheiern
    Options
    Great info - no one needs to drink soda anyway but here some reasons to quit now!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Alarmist bull**** with no basis in science.
  • musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Wow, more reason to not drink soda hardly ever anymore. I do admit that I drink it like once a month but that's about it. It's not good for your teeth anyway. Not to mention just not good for you in general lol.
  • Tabimiller417
    Tabimiller417 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Ive been trying to wean myself off my diet sodas & I found that the more I work out the more I crave water anyways.. Plus Ive read that caffeine (in sodas, tea, coffee, etc) make you crave sweets & I am addicted to chocolate. Studies have also shown that when people drink diet sodas they are more likely to eat more &/or overindulge.

I am definately not a huge fan of water but Im slowly making myself get in the habit of converting bc its healthiest option for my family & I.
  • TEDtheWolf
    Options
    Makes me glad I quit drinking soda for this diet! :happy:
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yahoo! Health
    http://bit.ly/ydgyL2

Extracted from there:

Shocking Soda Fact #1:
    Soda fattens up your organs
    A recent Danish study revealed that drinking non-diet soda leads to dramatic increases in dangerous hard-to-detect fats.
    ... And don’t think switching to diet varieties will save you from harm: Artificial sweeteners and food dyes have been linked to brain cell damage and hyperactivity, and research has shown that people who drink diet soda have a higher risk of developing diabetes

Shocking Soda Fact #2:
    Soda contains flame retardants
    Some popular soda brands, including Mountain Dew, use brominated vegetable oil—a toxic flame retardant—to keep the artificial flavoring from separating from the rest of the liquid.

Shocking Soda Fact #3:
    Drinking soda makes you a lab rat
    Many American soda brands are sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, a heart-harming man-made compound derived mainly from genetically engineered corn. The problem? Genetically engineered ingredients have only been in our food chain since the 1990s, and we don't know their long-term health impacts because the corporations that developed the crops never had to test them for long-term safety.

thank you for this. I quit soda while ago but occasionally i fall off the wagon. whenever i am tempted i can think of this.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Alarmist bull**** with no basis in science.

funny part is...swanson would say such a thing!