Losing to Run, not running to lose

Options
Did that make sense? :huh: I'm a mostly short distance runner and am planning three half marathons this year. I've been stuck at 145 for the past 12 years but this year I'm going the distance. I don't want joint problems with any extra poundage so I'm aiming to lose about 10-15lbs or about 7-10%. As far as muscle mass, I have none to very little. I'm using this sight to keep track of strength training as well. I've liked a lot of the posts saying that with strengthening you'll gain more muscle weight, so the scale may say one thing, but your pants might say something else!

I look forward to reading everyone's advice on this forum from anything from nutrition to exercises! Thanks!

Replies

• Tamuril
    Options
    Hi JaneyLoses,
    That made perfect sense to me! I am on a similar mission, to become lighter and run farther. In fact, I used to play soccer and run sprints in track, so my muscles were mostly fast-twitch, so I have been trying to slim everything down for distance running. One thing that has helped me is to use my strength training as cardio by switching weights and machines quickly and doing fast, low-weight reps.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • connie9860
    Options
    Hi JaneyLoses
    Have you run any marathons before?
    I just want to say that "Losing to run, not running to lose" is how it is for me also.
    I lost 45 lbs about 3 years ago and started runnng. I ran a full marathon and then 2 halfs. I am planning to run 2 halfs again this year. I have taken the last 2 months off from running and gained back 15 pounds but my primary goal for weight loss is to improve my time and also, as you say, protect my joints etc. from a health perspective.
    I'll send you a friend request.
    Connie 9860
  • ivanaaaaaaaaa
    Options
    welcome! your title makes perfect sense. growing up, i loved to walk but hated running. for the last couple of years i've really been wanting to get into running. everyone i know who runs started off hating it, but ended up making it something they can't live without. i admire all runners.. ok, i'll admit, there may be a bit of envy, too. :happy:

good luck reaching your goals and becoming an inspiration to others! :wink:
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi JaneyLoses,
    That made perfect sense to me! I am on a similar mission, to become lighter and run farther. In fact, I used to play soccer and run sprints in track, so my muscles were mostly fast-twitch, so I have been trying to slim everything down for distance running. One thing that has helped me is to use my strength training as cardio by switching weights and machines quickly and doing fast, low-weight reps.
    Good luck on your journey!

Good to know! I've been doing max weights until muscle failure. It would make more sense to do fast low weight for both the cardio and strengthening. Thanks!
  • 987Runner
    Options
    Hi JaneyLoses
    Have you run any marathons before?
    I just want to say that "Losing to run, not running to lose" is how it is for me also.
    I lost 45 lbs about 3 years ago and started runnng. I ran a full marathon and then 2 halfs. I am planning to run 2 halfs again this year. I have taken the last 2 months off from running and gained back 15 pounds but my primary goal for weight loss is to improve my time and also, as you say, protect my joints etc. from a health perspective.
    I'll send you a friend request.
    Connie 9860

No, I've never run a half-marathon. I've done a few road races that are about 7.5 miles. I look forward to shaping up for the longer runs though. What an accomplishment that must feel like!
  • 987Runner
    Options
    welcome! your title makes perfect sense. growing up, i loved to walk but hated running. for the last couple of years i've really been wanting to get into running. everyone i know who runs started off hating it, but ended up making it something they can't live without. i admire all runners.. ok, i'll admit, there may be a bit of envy, too. :happy:

good luck reaching your goals and becoming an inspiration to others! :wink:

I've always been a runner, I do consider myself lucky. But ask me to bike or swim for my life and I"d probably die! I've never liked distance biking though I sure wish I did. As for swimming, I enjoy floating more. :laugh: