Bye Bye Sugar High- Breakfast

Options
Hi everyone!
I seem to be going over in sugar on a regular basis, and I have determined the culprit is breakfast. I am looking for quick, cheap breakfast ideas that are lower in sugar.

I am a college student, but I have a full kitchen. I need something that will generally take less than 15 min from start to finish. My breakfasts of choice right now are: Special K with red berries and light soy milk, Chobani yogurt with granola, or oatmeal, all of which i pair with a banana or apple.

Thanks in advance for all of your help/support.

Replies

• irisheyes42us
    Options
    :flowerforyou: how about Thomas Bagel thins for 110 calories and fat free or low fat cream cheese?kashi cinnamon harvest shredded wheats, or old fashioned oats with some raisins?
  • tawnabanana
    tawnabanana Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    We have scrambled eggs with cheese and sausage just about every morning. We eat low carb and get most of our sugar from fruits and veggies. We buy the precooked sausage crumbles and you can just throw them in or buy a pkg and crumble and cook it up yourself in advance to save a bit of money. It's usually cooked and eaten within 15 minutes. Our kids feel full enough that they don't feel the need to eat breakfast again at school and I find that I usually feel satisfied until lunch at 12:30 and we usually eat between 6:30 and 7 am.
  • Onetwo_bre
    Onetwo_bre Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas. I went to the market this evening and bought eggs and salsa. I think I will try to eat more protein in the morning, as I notice the sugary breakfast foods just burns off so fast, even if they are "healthy". I try to make it as long as possible as I am stuck at school for such a long time, so I try to pack snacks and a low maintenance lunch.

I think I will try making an omelet with salsa and bacon, and see how I do with that. I have a little more time tomorrow morning, so it will be a good test day.

Thanks again!!!
  • vilardip1
    Options
    for something quick...i either do the eggs with salsa or some sort of topping (because i HATE eggs) or I have an Emerald Nuts 100 calorie pack (cocoa roast almonds are incredible) and a string cheese...but then again im a low-carber (<30 net per day) so that is what works for me
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I seem to be going over in sugar on a regular basis, and I have determined the culprit is breakfast. I am looking for quick, cheap breakfast ideas that are lower in sugar.

I am a college student, but I have a full kitchen. I need something that will generally take less than 15 min from start to finish. My breakfasts of choice right now are: Special K with red berries and light soy milk, Chobani yogurt with granola, or oatmeal, all of which i pair with a banana or apple.

Thanks in advance for all of your help/support.

Is there something wrong with sugar? If you're healthy, you're really shouldn't worry about sugar as long as you can hit your macronutrient goals for the day and your diet has micro-nutrient sufficiency.
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    We have scrambled eggs with cheese and sausage just about every morning. We eat low carb and get most of our sugar from fruits and veggies. We buy the precooked sausage crumbles and you can just throw them in or buy a pkg and crumble and cook it up yourself in advance to save a bit of money. It's usually cooked and eaten within 15 minutes. Our kids feel full enough that they don't feel the need to eat breakfast again at school and I find that I usually feel satisfied until lunch at 12:30 and we usually eat between 6:30 and 7 am.

^^^ I agree with the above - Usually on Sundays, I hardboil about 5-6 eggs and they'll last about a week in the fridge. On super-fast mornings, they are easy to grab and you can even eat them in the car. If I have a few more minutes, I will quick-scramble them with veggies and salsa and a little cheese - yum!

I actually found that when I switched from Special K and instant oatmeal (even the "low sugar" kind) and eat an egg or two for breakfast, I wasn't hungry as early in the morning as I was with cereal.

Good luck!
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi! Also keep an eye on your food labels. You would be surprised at how much hidden sugar is in stuff. I have started to scrutinize my food labels and see things like "High Fructose Corn Syrup" "Corn Syrup" and even "Sugar" besides the ones masked as artificial sweeteners...some of your unwanted sugar may come from these things.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, and have two almost every day, along with a slice of 80 cal whole wheat toast. Sometimes I add salsa and a 1/4 of an avocado if I've got one. With a wee bit of butter on my toast, and my cup of black coffee, breakfast comes in a 297 calories, 17 carbs, 14 grams of fat & 20 grams of protein.
  • beasley87
    beasley87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love making breakfast burritos with low carb tortillas (I found some for 50 calories each)
    As a spread I either use hummus (eggplant hummus is only 35 cals per 2tbsp) or half an avocado.
    I then put a scrambled egg (or just egg white) on top and roll it up. So good.
    You can mix some veggies in your eggs too.
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I find that there is def different types of sugar too. So long as most of your sugar is coming from raw fruits it is much better than if they are coming from refined sugar such as in soda or in candy. Still no need to over do the fruit, keep up the good work!