THE MIRACLE NOODLES

Options

Replies

• SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    OMG I AM IN LOVE WITH SHIRATAKI TOFU NOODLES

* made of naturally water soluble fiber with no fat, sugar, or starch.
    * contain zero net carbohydrates and zero calories, no gluten -made of a healthy natural fiber called Glucomannan.
    * wheat & gluten free and kosher.
    * Easily absorbs the flavors of any soup, dish, or sauce.
    * are instant and come in a variety of styles
    * have shown beneficial effects backed by medical studies for Type II Diabetes, Constipation, Obesity, and Cholesterol!

Here's a question for you: What good are the benefits you mentioned, if the item you are eating [soy] is toxic to the body?

soy is toxic to the body??

yes it is. The asian ancestors ate FERMENTED soy, because they somehow figured out that there were toxins in it. The soy we are talking about nowadays is not good for us, despite the fact that everybody thinks the opposite... look it up, there is so much info about that
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

* contain zero net carbohydrates and zero calories, no gluten -made of a healthy natural fiber called Glucomannan.
    * have shown beneficial effects backed by medical studies for Type II Diabetes, Constipation, Obesity, and Cholesterol!

Here's a question for you: What good are the benefits you mentioned, if the item you are eating [soy] is toxic to the body?

yes it is. The asian ancestors ate FERMENTED soy, because they somehow figured out that there were toxins in it. The soy we are talking about nowadays is not good for us, despite the fact that everybody thinks the opposite... look it up, there is so much info about that

No, they ate fermented soy because there was no other way to store it for long periods of time. Given the choice of eating putrid fermented soy, or starving to death, the soy started to look pretty good.

Again, how much of that information has a genuine scientific source which can be cited, and how much of it is, what I affectionately refer to as "derp."
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options

No, they ate fermented soy because there was no other way to store it for long periods of time. Given the choice of eating putrid fermented soy, or starving to death, the soy started to look pretty good.

Again, how much of that information has a genuine scientific source which can be cited, and how much of it is, what I affectionately refer to as "derp."

alright, listen. If you need the research, go and do your research. Im not going to waste my time. I told you what i know from reading educational books. I can find my sources just like that, but it's not in my interest. let google scholar your friend.
  • ltowns11
    ltowns11 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Woww..that looked sooo yummy!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I wish I like them, but I will stick to pasta.
    I can't get past the smell and texture.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options

Do you have a citation for that?

So far as I know soy is not toxic to the human body. However it does contain phytoestrogens which can affect the human body in large doses - that's why soy based formulas are supposed to be a last ditch effort to get nutrition into a baby after all non-soy formulas have failed. The extra estrogen can have a hard impact.

Adults would have to eat an extremely large amount of soy to see any sort of issue (granted if you eat a lot of processed foods, this isn't out of the question since almost everything uses soy as a filler).
    Yes and for the most part the problem lies with liquid preperations of soy like milk not so much with the tofu.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    WHERE!? I must have.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options

AGREE! This website explains everything: http://www.optimumchoices.com/Soy.htm

I checked out the studies referenced by the book at the site linked http://www.westonaprice.org/images/pdfs/fdasoyreferences.pdf and apparently all the studies mentioned are not FDA approved.
    FDA Poisonous Plant Database
    March 2006 Revision
    This database contains references to the scientific literature
    describing studies of the toxic properties and effects of plants and plant parts.
    DISCLAIMER
    The information in this database is intended only for scientific exchange. [t has not
    been approved by the United States Food and Drug Admini stration for publication
    nor does it have any official status. The information is continually increasing and
    being modified; it is neither error-free nor comprehensive. Information herein is in
    the public domain. Any copyrighted or privately owned material inadvertently
    included will be removed as soon as possible.

However, I wouldn't discount there may be a possible danger. When I have time, I'll probably take a deeper look at some of these articles, and see if they were conducted in an unbiased, proper way.

I do consume soy on a regular basis, as did my family for centuries. It is shown that Japanese and Korean people inhabiting those countries have the longest life spans, historically. We consume soy in a multiple of sources including soy sauce, tofu, soy beans, and soy milk. I would say, growing up, I would have soy at least 5 times a week. My mother does have thyroid problems, as well as a bunch of other problems, but this may be attributed to multiple factors, such as the fact that my grandparents were old when they birthed her, and she ate an unusual diet for an Asian, because she didn't like rice. Her diet consisted mainly of fatty pastries and meats.
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I had those noodles a few weeks ago, and I wasn't impressed. I tried using them for spaghetti and it was kinda gross (in my opinion). I'm thinking of trying them again, I have some Hungry Girl recipes i'd like to try but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try them again.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Made with soy! No thank you.

Soy is a phytoestrogen, which means it messes with your estrogen levels.
    Too much soy every day can cause infertility, thyroid problems and other health issues.
  • sera6
    sera6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try the actual shirataki noodles, not the tofu version. The tofu version has added calories. Also, they come packaged in fishy smelling water, so you have to really rinse them in warm water, let them soak, and put them in the microwave for 20 secs before adding them to any recipe to reduce the rubbery texture... Otherwise, a good choice I like to put in stirfry. They're also really common in Japanese dishes, so they give you a chance to try out new recipes!
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    anyone know if/where you can get these in Aussie?
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    yeah, i keep forgetting to drop by japanese groceries shop to buy it. :tongue:
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options

So far as I know soy is not toxic to the human body. However it does contain phytoestrogens which can affect the human body in large doses - that's why soy based formulas are supposed to be a last ditch effort to get nutrition into a baby after all non-soy formulas have failed. The extra estrogen can have a hard impact.

Adults would have to eat an extremely large amount of soy to see any sort of issue (granted if you eat a lot of processed foods, this isn't out of the question since almost everything uses soy as a filler).

Soy IS Toxic..

The only time of soy that is not toxic is fermented.
    The 3 most prevalent/common (easiest to find) types of fermented soy are: Soy sauce, Tempeh and Miso.

They do make fermented tofu, but you have to look for it.

Unfermented Soy contains phyto estrogens and cause cancer, reproductive issues, inhibit thyroid function, etc.

Traditionally, asian people eat very little soy - and typically only eat fermented soy.

"It’s only common sense. No one argues, for example, that a leading cause of breast cancer, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, infertility, and low libido is unopposed estrogen, or estrogen dominance. Why, then, would anyone argue that we should consume more of a food high in estrogen?"

"An infant taking the recommended amount of soy formula is consuming a hormone load equivalent of 4 birth control pills a day! Is it any wonder we’ve seen such a dramatic rise in precocious puberty with young girls starting their periods at 6 and 7?"

There's actually a particular length of time for soy detoxing. A while back i read that it was 1 month for every year you were a soy-consumer (ie: 20 years = 20 months). I don't know how true THAT is, but soy is bad news.

"
    Another common fallacy is that soy foods couldn't possibly have a downside because Asian cultures eat large quantities of soy every day and consequently remain free of most western diseases. In reality, the people of China, Japan and other Asian countries eat very little soy. The soy industry's own figures show that soy consumption in China, Indonesia, Korea, Japan and Taiwan ranges from 10 to 90 grams per day. That is grams of soy food, not grams of soy protein alone. Compare this with a cup of tofu (250 grams) or soy milk (240 grams). Many Americans and Australians today would be consuming a cup of tofu and a couple of glasses of soy milk every day. They might also add veggie burgers to this, thinking they are getting their much needed protein intake. Infants on soy formula are probably the most disadvantaged, as that is their main source of nutrition and they ingest large amounts of soy relative to their body weight. Often the side effects are not noticed but, as they are growing up, runny noses, frequent colds, irritability, severe sugar cravings and food intolerance develop.

The summary below outlines the adverse effects of unfermented soy products:

* Trypsin inhibitors in soy interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders. In test animals soy containing trypsin inhibitors caused stunted growth.

* Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women.

* Soy phytoestrogens are potent anti-thyroid agents that cause hypothyroidism and may cause thyroid cancer. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.
    Vitamin B12 analogs in soy are not absorbed and actually increase the body's requirement for B12.
    Soy foods increase the body's requirement for vitamin D.

* Fragile proteins are denatured during high temperature processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein.

* Free glutamic acid or MSG, a potent neurotoxin, is formed during soy food processing and additional amounts are added to many soy foods.

* Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum which is toxic to the nervous system and the kidneys.
    Source: (www.westonaprice.org)

In contrast, consuming organic fermented soy products is quite beneficial. Consuming even small amounts of unfermented soy on a regular basis could cause some adverse effects in our body. Next time you consider drinking soy milk; perhaps instead consider oat milk, coconut milk or goat's milk. Some people who are allergic to dairy can tolerate goat milk and goat cheese products in small quantities. Replacing soy and regular milk with these alternatives allow us to enjoy our beverages and cereals without harming our health."

Gotta LOVE that soy.

Uhh.. phytoestrogens can also be found in linseed (flax), sesame seeds, wheatberries, fenugreek, oats, barley, dried beans, lentils, yams, rice, alfalfa, mung beans, apples, carrots, pomegranates,wheat germ, rice bran, ginseng, hops, bourbon, beer, fennel and anise.

Moderation anyone?

Stop trying to scare people with your exaggerated, misconstrued information. People read things and flip out way too often....

If soy was really that harmful, asian countries would be having serious health issues...

thanks for making some sense. i'm over the bro-science around here.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    sounds yummy will give them a try! :flowerforyou: thanks for the idea
  • shenitamo
    shenitamo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have issues with texture, but I am willing to try anything! Thanks guys!
  • DevanEve
    DevanEve Posts: 130
    Options
    Going to try it. Thanks for the heads up! :wink:
  • jennifershoo
    Options

Soy IS Toxic..

The only time of soy that is not toxic is fermented.
    The 3 most prevalent/common (easiest to find) types of fermented soy are: Soy sauce, Tempeh and Miso.

They do make fermented tofu, but you have to look for it.

Unfermented Soy contains phyto estrogens and cause cancer, reproductive issues, inhibit thyroid function, etc.

Traditionally, asian people eat very little soy - and typically only eat fermented soy.

"It’s only common sense. No one argues, for example, that a leading cause of breast cancer, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, infertility, and low libido is unopposed estrogen, or estrogen dominance. Why, then, would anyone argue that we should consume more of a food high in estrogen?"

"An infant taking the recommended amount of soy formula is consuming a hormone load equivalent of 4 birth control pills a day! Is it any wonder we’ve seen such a dramatic rise in precocious puberty with young girls starting their periods at 6 and 7?"

There's actually a particular length of time for soy detoxing. A while back i read that it was 1 month for every year you were a soy-consumer (ie: 20 years = 20 months). I don't know how true THAT is, but soy is bad news.

"
    Another common fallacy is that soy foods couldn't possibly have a downside because Asian cultures eat large quantities of soy every day and consequently remain free of most western diseases. In reality, the people of China, Japan and other Asian countries eat very little soy. The soy industry's own figures show that soy consumption in China, Indonesia, Korea, Japan and Taiwan ranges from 10 to 90 grams per day. That is grams of soy food, not grams of soy protein alone. Compare this with a cup of tofu (250 grams) or soy milk (240 grams). Many Americans and Australians today would be consuming a cup of tofu and a couple of glasses of soy milk every day. They might also add veggie burgers to this, thinking they are getting their much needed protein intake. Infants on soy formula are probably the most disadvantaged, as that is their main source of nutrition and they ingest large amounts of soy relative to their body weight. Often the side effects are not noticed but, as they are growing up, runny noses, frequent colds, irritability, severe sugar cravings and food intolerance develop.

The summary below outlines the adverse effects of unfermented soy products:

* Trypsin inhibitors in soy interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders. In test animals soy containing trypsin inhibitors caused stunted growth.

* Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women.

* Soy phytoestrogens are potent anti-thyroid agents that cause hypothyroidism and may cause thyroid cancer. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.
    Vitamin B12 analogs in soy are not absorbed and actually increase the body's requirement for B12.
    Soy foods increase the body's requirement for vitamin D.

* Fragile proteins are denatured during high temperature processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein.

* Free glutamic acid or MSG, a potent neurotoxin, is formed during soy food processing and additional amounts are added to many soy foods.

* Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum which is toxic to the nervous system and the kidneys.
    Source: (www.westonaprice.org)

In contrast, consuming organic fermented soy products is quite beneficial. Consuming even small amounts of unfermented soy on a regular basis could cause some adverse effects in our body. Next time you consider drinking soy milk; perhaps instead consider oat milk, coconut milk or goat's milk. Some people who are allergic to dairy can tolerate goat milk and goat cheese products in small quantities. Replacing soy and regular milk with these alternatives allow us to enjoy our beverages and cereals without harming our health."

Gotta LOVE that soy.

Can you provide an academic source for this information?
    I'm not trying to disagree with you, but if soy was known to cause all of these issues there would be a major epidemic of problems sweeping the nation given the amount of times that soy or its byproducts are used as a filler.

I do agree that phytoestrogens cause issues, but its also important to remember that the are NOT human estrogen. They cause some issues, but saying it can cause all of the issues as extra estrogen in the body is misleading.

It's also important to note that most of these issues are only when soy is consumed in extremely large amounts. I don't think anyone is saying to eat an entire pallet's worth of tofu noodles.

Hello!!!! There IS an epidemic of problems. Theere are so many people with thyroid issues and soooooo many infertile women. Secondary infertility is also a huge problem (women who have a kid and try to conceive another one without success over several month or years). If you've never researched the subject, don't misinform people.
    You don't even seem to know what is a phytoestogen. It means it's not the same exact molecule as estradiol but it acts like it as it binds to the estrogen receptors. It tricks the body into thinking that your body has more estrogen that it actually does. Your body is then low in estrogen which results in a bunch of symptoms and physical and mental conditions.

The dosage needed to experience those symptoms is not that high. 60g of soy protein is approximately 45 mg of isoflavones (phytoestrogen). Usually, a daily dosage of 40 mg of isoflavone is recommended to menopausal women to relieve their symptoms such as hot flashes and night sweats. Menopausal women have low estrogen.
    If you consume a couple of soy noodles once in a while, you might be fine, but it's definitely worth mentioning.
    If you drink soy milk, eat soy noodles and eat tofu on a regular basis, then you're probably consuming a lot more phytoestrogen then you think.
  • jennifershoo
    Options

It IS proven. There are a lot genuine scientific sources out there.
    I'm not gonna bother to post links. Why would I? People who are truly open-minded about learning on the topic will do their own research.
    People who are simply stuck with the idea that soy is perfectly fine, won't even bother reading those research and/or will dismiss them.