New, and in need of some good vibes

Options
Hello all, I have been logging off and on for quite some time, but this is my first foray into the myfitnesspal community. I am reaching out because I have just come to terms with the fact that I am a compulsive binge eater, and this has been affecting my quality of life for far too long. I have made some commitments to myself that I will become healthier by eating right and abandoning the crash diets that have only exacerbated this problem so far. Most of all, I want to start loving myself and loving life!
This is the first time I have ever voiced my issues with binge eating, as it is a subject of shame for me and I have done everything I can to hide it. I am hoping that by talking openly about binge eating, I will really be able to overcome this and develop some normal eating habits. Is there anyone else out there with a similar experience? I'd love to hear your story, any motivation will really help!!

Replies

• scrappingramof3
    Options
    Hi Leonna,
    I am also a binge eater. I am trying this a a suggestion from a friend. I am diabetic and am having trouble controlling my eating and blood sugar. It is very hard for me too. I have just begun to go to Overeaters Anonymous. It is a very good program based on Alcoholics Anonymous' 12 Step Program. We have a disease and we must treat it so and do what it takes to keep us healthy. I have seen people loose alot of weight, I hope it works for me.
  • leonna125
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the steps towards making positive changes in your life! It really is a disease, and I truly feel that it is comparable to a drug or alcohol addiction. I think being able to accept it as such is a huge step forward, and it sounds like you're moving in the right direction. Thanks for sharing your story, and best of luck with your journey!
  • ivanaaaaaaaaa
    Options
    welcome to you both! congratulations for taking the first step. :smile:
    now, i'm no pro at this, but i do know that when i'm too hard on myself, i usually end up feeling overwhelmed and end up giving up. it's good to admit to having a problem and reaching out, but try to be realistic about setting your goals and giving yourself enough time to reach them. not saying you should slack off, you should definitely push yourself.. keep in mind that it took a while to develop bad habits and gain weight, and it will take some time to break those habits and lose the weight.
    again, i'm not a pro, just speaking from my own experience. communities like these will help you get excited and motivated about wanting to eat healthier and working out. read some posts, interact, make friends... you'll find all kinds of great advice and people who share your troubles. we are all here to help and support each other. :wink:
    good luck!