Gym Aches - Recovery Tips?

Options
Good Morning All,

Just looking for some advice. I started a gym about 2 weeks ago and the muscle aches are really slowing me down.

I had a session with a Personal Trainer (an hour) last Tuesday and it took me 3 days to feel like I could train again because my muscles were so sore. My rib area ached so badly it hurt to sneeze, my legs were so tender that sitting down to the toilet (TMI? lol) was a tough thing to do and generally I struggled to maintain my normal life schedule, never mind thinking of going back to the gym.

Does anyone have any tips for speedy recovery? I don't think I drink anywhere near enough water, could this be a reason why it took me so long recover?

I was definitely using muscles I haven't used for a long time (if ever, I had never weight trained before!) but we didn't over do it.

I just want to try and maximize my time, I can't have too many more of these days where I want to work out and feel I have the energy but I ache so badly that just climbing my stairs is painful.

I worked out yesterday and today's dull aches are again frustrating... I've been working out 5 times a week, (when not too sore) and I was hoping they would have eased / gone by now.

Thanks in advance,
Laura.

Replies

• Amie_LR
    Amie_LR Posts: 50
    Options
    bump
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Your muscles do need water to recover. Drink more.

If you haven't worked out before, you have to expect it to hurt.

I'd suggest working through the pain. It will get easier.

As long as you feel sore, and not like anything is torn, then you'll be fine.
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    No pain no gain? Just keep at it and the pain with go away. Just warm-up before training again.
  • mrsweigl
    mrsweigl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I started a kickboxing class and felt like a train wreck the next day. What helped me was a lot of stretching and hubby gave me massage, also a hot both and some ibuprofen ;-)
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    And stretching, the aching should be steadily less severe the more you workout/recover
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I dont know of a quick recovery solution but it will get easier once your muscles start getting used to the new strains you put on them.
  • lionwes59
    Options
    you're right about the water. you need to hydrate all the time, but especially when exercising. light stretching and hydration are the best cures. stay with it, your muscle recovery time will get shorter and shorter the more sessions you have in the gym.
  • MelsieK
    MelsieK Posts: 72
    Options
    All of the above plus protein. I always make sure I stretch and cool down after all workouts, drink water and have a protein shake, or some other form of high protein. Also for the legs Skins can help. They are a brand of compression wear, but heaps out there. Also as strange as it sounds, keep moving, it prevents the lactic acid build up and the aches and stiffness.

Mel
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    learn to love the pain!

i love the pain, because I know it's doing me good...
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Increasing water will help up your own fluid levels, which in turn will aid flushing the lactic acid (the natural acid that causes delayed onset muscle soreness: DOMS) from your muscles.

Some people also report increased protein in the diet aids recovery, although I have not personally read any scientific literature to back this up (although there may be some).

Generally keeping your cals up around your recommended level and ensuring that your dietary fat levels are not too low will help with health and recovery times.

But I would also consider treating yourself to a long soak in the bath and/or a session on a foam roller. One is nice and relaxing and the other is as painful as hell short term... but helps clear the lactic acid.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'd say lots and lots of water. A 20 minute soak in epsom or dead sea salts. Yoga. Nothing is better for my sore and tender muscles than a yoga workout.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I work out with a personal trainer for a year now, one hour with him every 2 weeks, and programs he sends me inbetween those sessions.
    It gets easier with time, even though still now (after one year) I still sometimes am sore for 3 days after we work out together :-/
    He told me to never take any medecine to ease that pain, because it would undo all the work that had been done before.

Just remember that you did something for your body, and your body needs time to get used to it. It's a good pain :-)
  • debstein
    Options
    I find stretching before bed (as well as before and afetr your workout) also helps a little with those next day ache and pains.
  • shockedsoshocked
    Options
    Increasing water will help up your own fluid levels, which in turn will aid flushing the lactic acid (the natural acid that causes delayed onset muscle soreness: DOMS) from your muscles.

DOMS is caused by the muscle being eccentrically contracted under load. Under ordinary conditions lactic acid will be resynthesised in the liver pretty much instantaneously and doesn't accumulate in the muscles or the blood.

As people have said, stretching after exercise, maybe a recovery drink, warm baths to increase blood flow to the muscles will all help. The first strength training session is always the hardest! Creatine can also reduce muscle soreness and recovery time. If you're in the gym 5 days a week maybe 5g of Creatine a day may help?
  • sasskin18
    Options
    Hi there

First of all Hydration is the key to muscle repair. Also start to increase your protein intake, this will also aid muscle repair after the workout. Also stretches are good before (While still aching) and afterwards.

If you do an intensive work out, i.e for over 60 mins i.e long run. drink an energy drink which is rich in electrolytes, this will help replace lost essential salts which also helps with recovery.

Im a long distance runner and always make sure I increase my protein intake after a work out and hydrate throughout. This is all essential to injury prevention too I must stress though, if you are experiencing severe pain Stop and rest.

Good luck!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    When I first joined the gym 2 years ago, I was very sore for the first few weeks as well. Keep working hard and make sure to allow yourself some rest days, drink lots, and eat your protein. In time, it really does get better so stick with it!:smile: Oh, and take some ibuprofen if you're very sore!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    REST
    That's really it.
    Yes, drink water, stretch, get a massage and all those other things mentioned; they help.
    Rest is what you need more than anything.
    Just take the time to rest, and as you continue, the recovery time will diminish. Usually, a day between resistance training is enough once you punch past the beginner phase.

You are doing GREAT!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    after a hard workout i use either a foam roller or the stick and massage the achy areas. this helps flush out the lactic acid build up in your muscles.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'd say lots and lots of water. A 20 minute soak in epsom or dead sea salts. Yoga. Nothing is better for my sore and tender muscles than a yoga workout.

This!!!
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You could try L-Glutamine that helps with making your muscles less sore ( helps to reduce the buildup of lactic acid in the muscles). Soreness is a good thing as its breaking your muscle down to rebuild it. Go to a local health store and ask them for advice