Gym Dread

Options
I just started eating better, and I know if I want to keep losing weight, I'm eventually going to HAVE to go to the gym...The thing is, I don't have a gym buddy and I feel incredibly awkward in gym clothes. I'm a pretty awkward person in general and I don't really like going out as it is, but the idea of going to the gym makes me particularly nervous... I guess, because I feel like I'm being judged there.

Has anyone else had this problem? :[

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    I have not had that problem, even back in the days when I went to a gym. Through my weight loss, I have never went to a gym. I have used the Tae-bo DVDs, Insanity, and workout programs from Bodyweightcoach.com and Turbulence Training workouts. I'm probably forgetting something at that. You do no need to go to a gym to have a good workout.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There are lots of workouts you could do at home, so many good DVDs or online videos - is that an option for you?

I haven't been to a gym in years - it's not in our budget to join one, but if I did, I know I'd feel awkward and out of place, at least at first. But it would be intimidating for me, for sure!
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I find the gym to be a positive place overall. Intimidating? Yeah for sure, but once you get to meet a few people, you will see that everyone is there to reach similar goals and will help you along the way. I usually keep to myself at the gym to prevent chatting and wasting time but whenever I make conversation or someone comes to me, it is usually about some workout or fitness related.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't like working out in front of people either. I also don't really have the extra money for a gym membership and with 3 kids and a job finding time to go seems difficult. I have gotten around these obstacles by finding things I enjoy that I can do at home. I love riding my exercise bike and playing the wii (great to do with the family :) I do my "wii Active 2", "wii fit", "Walk It Out" and "Just Dance" (kids love the last one). I also take walks around my neighborhood.

I have found that I'm more likely to do something that I enjoy and feel less self-conscious about. I hope this helps. Good luck in your journey.
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well, I live with my mother, and working out at home isn't really an option because she has borderline personality disorder. It's a difficult living situation only made bearable by the fact that my bedroom door has a lock on it. :(
  • lilyflor
    lilyflor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes! I did! I joined the gym last september and couldn't bring myself to go there alone :( but finally two weeks ago one of my cousins came with me, and after that I was able to see that I had nothing to be afraid of, you just go, everyone there minds their own business, so no need to afraid. Maybe schedule a tour and a fitness training so you now how to use all the equipment and don't feel awkward, also ask when is the gym less crowded maybe and try to go on those hours etc. After the first day you go you will feel comfortable! At least it was for me and I wish I didn't wasted all those months not going!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    So many first time gym-goers feel intimidated. I have seen people walk in, look around, get that deer-in-the-headlights look, and walk out. I always try to say hi to new members, whether I am at the gym I work at or the gym where I meet my husband.

If you join a gym, ask for an initial complimentary training session. The trainer will get some health history info and walk you through some exercises that you can then do on your own. That will give you a starting point.

There are so many different kinds of people at the gym, and if you pick a certaint ime to go, you will end up seeing the same people a lot of the time.

Enjoy!
  • JenniferInNY
    JenniferInNY Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If your gym offers beginner classes (like beginner aerobics or something), I think that can be good for nervous gym-goers because there's someone telling you what to do the whole time. You don't have to figure out how to operate the machines or how to design your workout. Maybe ask if there are classes they'd recommend for beginners?

There's also the option of walking outside, interspersed with brief periods (30 sec) of jogging.

Sorry to hear about the difficult living situation.
  • PapaDawgDan
    PapaDawgDan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try to find a gym that is not a meat market, but a gym where you see all types of people. I found that of the two gyms in our little town the one I go to seems to be more of people who are goal orinted toward some fitness program not a look at me or whats your number kinda place. I find that when I look around the gym and see people at all levels I tend to feel more comfortable and it helps me to focus on why I am there. I wish you success and remember you are going for you not those around you.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I also find - that the YMCA has many people of different weight sizes and ages. I have tried many different gyms. Some carter to the younger crowd (and yes, that is great if you are younger). However, when I went to that gym...many were pencil thin.

Just my opinion.

Marcy
  • TiffanyDawn79
    TiffanyDawn79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yep all the time ( and that's really sad because I worked in a gym 5 years ago ), you are not alone! You just have to push yourself to DO IT, put your head phones on get on your machine and do your thing. One day at a time.
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Ugh I have the same issue of Gym Dread :(

After some convincing from a friend, I signed up for a membership in 2010 - well, I was under the impression that we could motivate each other & have some fun. Unfortunately, after the 1st mth of attending classes (eg. yoga, pilates... etc.), her enthusiasm fizzled out and so did mine... so much so that there were months that I didn't go down at all, despite continuning to pay the instalments (it's a 4 year non-transferable contract).

The membership didn't come cheap, it's almost S$100/mth & I am annoyed with myself for not utilising it as much as I can.

I'd love to go down more often, but I feel so awkward attending those classes alone! Especially when I am unable to do a certain exercise (my balancing sucks and my flexibility is terrible) when everyone around me can. I've managed to drag myself down a little more & attended a few classes this month though. But I wish I can get rid of that dreadful feeling I still have. As for using the machines in the gym, I still can't bring myself to do it. Am worried that I'll not know how to operate the machine & end up looking totally stupid standing there. =X
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I suffer from social phobia and I love the gym - the trick is to a) make sure you know what you're doing on the machines / where you're going and b) take your music player!

Regarding point A. Make sure you go for your gym induction so somebody can show you around the machines. This will probably make you feel awkward for the whole half hour - one hour or so, but it will save you feeling like you're using the machines wrong / feel like everybody is *watching* you use the machines wrong! Definitely take the gym tour so you know where everything is too (toilets, changing rooms etc.).

Regarding point B - what I do is as soon as I leave the changing room / enter the gym, put on my music. Make a playlist that makes you feel comfortable and you'll soon be too busy concentrating on yourself and your music to notice anybody else - and that's the secret - most people at the gym are too busy focusing on their own lives to be looking at you ;)
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Have you considered just walking outside in your regular clothes and sneakers? Even an hour a day is pretty good exercise. That way, you only need to go to the gym for weight training.
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i felt the same when i started the gym in november, infact sometimes i still feel very awkward going in and working out but i program some really good tunes into my phone and listen whilst i workout and i forget everyone else there.

i'm having an issue right now about using the free weights, i cant seem to get the courage to go use them so i've asked my pt to set aside some time and give me a free weight routine because if i've got a program to follow its not quite so daunting
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I also have worked out at home to loose weight. I used to have a gym membership, but I didn't like going either. It always seemed that there were clicks and people judging me. I always felt uncomfortable. I love working out at home it saves time, money and stress.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Listen go out buy something new to wear. Whatever you feel comfortable in. Walk into the gym with your head held high.
    Guess what there are all kinds of people at the gym and basically no one is probably looking at you. so you go get them.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. I didn't go to the gym for years because I was afraid of the judgement.

Then I met my husband and he told me that people are there to be/get in shape, so they are most likely too concerned with their own thoughts to even notice I'm there.
    He said whenever he saw a heafty out of shape person at the gym he felt happy to see someone wanting to make a change in their life.

When I go now, if I feel like someone might be giving me a judgemental look, I just tell myself "**** em. I'm here for ME not them!"
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I work at a gym, you will not be judged by the people who are there to help you. If you feel like you are find a new gym! I live in the middle of farm country and there are 4 gyms within a 20 min drive from me. Take a tour of all the ones that are in you budget. Take a look at what they have to offer and take a look at the staff and how they are interacting with the people working out. Are they chatting, helping, or standing around looking buff. I work for a Y so I know it is different then high pressure gyms but we really are there to help you, and myself and at least half of my co workers have been in your shoes, struggling with weight loss. The first day I worked out I asked the trainer how to turn on the treadmill. Yes the machine that you push a green button and start walking, I was afraid I would hurt myself or get thrown off the back so I sheepishly asked how to get started on it.

Don't let fear stand in your way.
  • swilkie1961
    swilkie1961 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    People at the gym are pretty friendly. I remember when I first started, I was trying to use one of the machine. After reading the instruction on the side, I was trying to start my workout, when the guy next to me stopped me. Apparently even after reading the instruction, I got it wrong. I was facing the wrong way! I was very grateful for his help! I was still a little embrassed!:blushing: