Daily Nutrient Goals... Important or Not?

Options
Quick question for anyone here... How important is it for one to not only stay under their daily calorie limit, but their daily nutrient goals as well? I have a feeling that maintaing each of those little goals is just as effective and crucial for legitimate weight loss. It's always a bit discouraging at the end of the day to of achieved my calorie goal, but to see several nutrient categories that I've went over it (Most commonly that being sugar, sodium and protein) I've lost 20 pounds this month so far (goal says 10 but I was 230 when I created my account and then 240 when i began on the 1st on January) so I'd hate to change my routine, but if it really helps lose easier, I'm game! Thoughts?

Replies

• Barbie1125
    Options
    Ya thanks for asking the question Im interested to.. I changed my nutrient goals to by suggestion of another member because I wanted higher protein and a bit lower carb , I find the sugar is hard cause of eating fruit. Im looking forward to the responses to your question cause I wasn't sure about the nutrient goals. I think the sodium is way high! but thats just me.
  • Barbie1125
    Options
    Bump?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how long you have been at this and what your goals are.

If your main goal is weight loss and you are just getting started, then getting the calories down without worrying too much about macros seems to me to be a good place to start. There is no point in making this so complicated that you don't want to keep going.

Once you have a handle of where the calories are coming from, you can start playing around with macronutrient ratios.... but the thing is that you will read conflicting advice about what those ratios should be. Many people say the MFP sets protein too low and carbs too high, but other sources I read tally more with MFPs numbers.
    It's also worth having a look at where those numbers are coming from - if I'm over sugar from eating fruit I don't worry, but if it is from eating too much chocolate then I know it's not a great day.
    I don't get bothered by sodium because I'm healthy, no problems with blood pressure or any other reason to monitor this - and it's so damn not when I run at the moment, I think I probably could use some extra sodium to balance things out.

If you are successfully losing weight (sounds like you are being VERY successful!) and feeling good and meeting your fitness goals I wouldn't worry too much about it at this time... but that's just my opinion (as a carb-eating runner) - I'm sure others will have different goals and different ideas to me!).
  • fuzzimama
    Options
    I'm not a low-carber, and I eat lots of fruit (probably about 4 serves per day on average) and I'm rarely over my carbs limit, and I rarely make 60% of my sodium limit.

Do you eat lots of salty meats or pre-prepared food? I'm just wondering where the sodium is coming from. I'm typically over on fibre and protein (just a little on both) and under on the rest. Very occasionally I'll be 5 - 10% over on carbs, but that will be on a stodgy carb day, rather than a normal fruit-eating day (with a little stodgy carbs included).

Probably depends on how much you're over on sodium whether you want to worry about it or not. I try to stick closer to the 1500 recommended by these guys, rather than the more commonly seen 2500mg daily limit.

http://www.sodium101.ca/less-than-1500mg/adults/

If you are considerably over the 2500 then MFP makes it easy to see where your salt is coming from, and maybe you can make some simple adjustments. Perhaps swapping some plain chicken or fish for saltier varieties etc. Sorry I haven't looked at your diary, so not sure whether you even eat those things, but they are just an example.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Quick question for anyone here... How important is it for one to not only stay under their daily calorie limit, but their daily nutrient goals as well? I have a feeling that maintaing each of those little goals is just as effective and crucial for legitimate weight loss. It's always a bit discouraging at the end of the day to of achieved my calorie goal, but to see several nutrient categories that I've went over it (Most commonly that being sugar, sodium and protein) I've lost 20 pounds this month so far (goal says 10 but I was 230 when I created my account and then 240 when i began on the 1st on January) so I'd hate to change my routine, but if it really helps lose easier, I'm game! Thoughts?

For me, it is vitally important that I stay as close to my daily calorie allotment as possible. Regarding the nutrients themselves, although I can see the protein, carbs, fats, fiber and Potassium, I don't really look at any of them (except Protein for curiosity purposes), mainly because I have cut out all crap foods, am eating fruit, veg, eggs and meat like chicken and also including tuna or salmon, that the nutrients have to be balanced.

If any of the nutrients go over into the red, it is usually Protein, of which I am not at all concerned, as Protein on MFP is low anyway.
  • beachbumant_man
    beachbumant_man Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    its all important, if your not under your calorie intake that you want to be at, due to food intake being high in sugar then you need to change... if your under your calorie intake and sugar is still high, sugar that isn't used up in the blood stream will convert to fat so yea:P

keeping sodium low.. sodium and heart attack and hypertension is a good factor...keep that low and u be all smiles:)
  • ajd8663
    Options
    This article suggests that losing weight is all about the math initially (calories in vs. out). Everything else will become more important when you really start to look at body composition. However, if you first goal is just to lose weight, go with a plan that works for you. Once you have the calories under control, then you can change macronutrient ratios to mix up your diet. Also, these ratios do not need to stay the same each day. I cycle carbs and calories depending on the workout for that day. Days with tougher workouts get more carbs, then days without workouts or low intensity ones get less carbs and more of your fats. Protein doesn't need to change much. Again, this is what works for me. Everyone is different.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/29/us-calories-idUSTRE80S0PF20120129
  • Timdad
    Options
    1. If you're talking MICROnutrient, like vitamin C, your nutrient bioavailability averages out from your eating over period of several days. If you're at all concerned you can take a multivitamin, for the insurance value. They are not as bioavailable as real food but it gets your numbers and thus for the cost of a Flintstone chewable, gets you where you're wanting to be.

2. If you're talking MACROnutrients (protein, carb, fat) that's of more interest in weight loss, but there's not any one set % that works for everybody.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I second what Rubybelle says, it depends on what your goals are and where you're at in your cycle.

My initial weight loss was quite effective and rapid but I plateaued a few kg out from my initial goal weight - while I was always under calorie goals thanks to heaps of exercise, I couldn't move the kg.

The nutritional breakdown showed me I was eating far too much sugar, and swapping a couple of things around (soy instead of cow's milk, vegetables instead of fruit, sweetener instead of sugar) made an immediate difference.

But I wouldn't recommend it if you're at the start of your weight loss as incremental changes are more habit-forming than sweeping changes across the board. Cutting back sugar at day 0 would've exploded my head.
  • SunriseSidhe
    SunriseSidhe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to see my nutrient goals :( All of my friends use the IPhone app for MFP but I can only use the online version and I can't find what they have on here... Am I just missing it?
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This article suggests that losing weight is all about the math initially (calories in vs. out). Everything else will become more important when you really start to look at body composition. However, if you first goal is just to lose weight, go with a plan that works for you. Once you have the calories under control, then you can change macronutrient ratios to mix up your diet. Also, these ratios do not need to stay the same each day. I cycle carbs and calories depending on the workout for that day. Days with tougher workouts get more carbs, then days without workouts or low intensity ones get less carbs and more of your fats. Protein doesn't need to change much. Again, this is what works for me. Everyone is different.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/29/us-calories-idUSTRE80S0PF20120129

Thank you for the article, very interesting.

I agree, if you just want to reduce weight, the calorie source is not important.

But I do watch the other ingredients, for health purposes.
    For example, no trans-fat should be in my diet. And I try to limit my cholesterol intake; not doing a great job at sodium, but I do watch it and have reduced. Protein, etc I really don't watch.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I don't usually go over my nutrient intake, however sometimes dietry fibre & sugars go over, but only slightly over so I am not worried. I am more worried about the fact that I have HEAPS of nutrient stats left over and I wonder how that is effecting me.

Also, I heard that it is better to eat protein than carbs or sugars as protein keeps you fuller for longer & also makes your body work harder to break it down - therefore burning more calories during this breaking down process. There's some food for thought - literally!
  • belladonna_3k
    Options
    I plan my meals out to stay under or as close as possible to my set nutrients. I am vegan (as of the beginning of the new year) and do not eat much processed food at all, so I know where my sugars and sodium come from (I still try to keep them both at minimum levels). I have to make sure I get plenty of protien though, so I like to look at that. I agree that just starting out, some people may get overwelmed trying to monitor everything and stay under/at calories, but if your entire day of calories is below or at the set level and you have eaten nothing but high fat, sugary, processed junk... you're defeating your purpose I think.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I just try to get close - not going to be a Nazi about it.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I try to HIT protein, fat, and fiber, but stay under or close to my goal for carbs, sugar, and sodium.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    if you're weight lifting, raise your protein levels by a good amount. either way, raise your protein levels. only 70% of protein can be converted and stored as fat. and notice that carbs and protein do the same thing when there is an excess: they are stored as fat. and some excess protein is even excreted by the body.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    if your under your calorie intake and sugar is still high, sugar that isn't used up in the blood stream will convert to fat so yea:P

In the short term even if this does happen it is irrelevant in the context of a caloric deficit because over the course of time fat oxidation will exceed fat storage, regardless of sugar intake.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Keeping the macronutrients in check is vital not only for weight management but also for your health. Now, calculating the necessary grams for each macronutrient is another story.
    Here is everything you need to know.
    Good luck.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
  • Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    its all important, if your not under your calorie intake that you want to be at, due to food intake being high in sugar then you need to change... if your under your calorie intake and sugar is still high, sugar that isn't used up in the blood stream will convert to fat so yea:P

keeping sodium low.. sodium and heart attack and hypertension is a good factor...keep that low and u be all smiles:)

I agree with this person as I hit plateau 4 months back and was so so frustrated as even though I was under my calorie goal almost 99% times and kept on zigzagging my calories and workout I could not break and then I opened my diary for everyone and it was observed that my food was high on carbs and sugar almost every day and I didnt pay attention to it. I have made conscious effort to keep track of it since yesterday and hope to see the change..I personally believe that the purpose of having those nutrient break up is put for us to see where are food is heading or else MFP should have just given us the total calorie counter and not break ups.