Vibration Plate

Hi, new to this site. Does anyone know if vibration plates work and do they burn calories?

Replies

• Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Bump. I'd like to know the answer to this also.
  • lisaelainee
    lisaelainee Posts: 248 Member
    I second that
    Bump. I'd like to know the answer to this also.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Some people report inch loss with them but I can't see how they can work. The calorific burn will be very low. I think that 10 mins on a vibration plate versus a 10 mins walk you would burn more on the walk.
  • I'm not sure what a "vibration plate" is exactly but I do believe that unless you are actually exercising then it doesn't work....
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    I had someone at work tell me today that it works all her muscles and she thinks that 10 min on it is the equivalent of an hour long workout?!?? Somehow I don't believe her and I think I would rather use traditional methods of working out that I know will burn lots of calories and build muscle, increase my metabolism for hours to come, and gets me fitter.

I have recently discovered les mills classes and do body pump and body attack, and have nearly completed C25K, and am seeing results from those, and they are lots of fun.

I might add that the person who thought that vibration plate workouts are equivalent to an hour long workout wasn't in a great shape....
  • I have heard that ten mins is the same as an hr in the gym, I think I will continue with my physical activities and add the vibration plate in once or twice a week on top. I have been using it for a week and feel a difference, just wanted to know if calories were burned also. Thanks for the feedback:)
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    i have a vibration plate at home n i was using it a couple of times a day untill i read this article about a study that shows they can actually have a negative effect on ur body. apparently they can hurt ur muscle structure or something from the vigorous shaking..... it suggests if u going to use one then only use it 3 times a week. i haven't used mine since as i'm a little concerned that maybe its true but if u haven't been exercising at all then its better than nothing, right??
    it also said that the caloric burn is no different to the burn u get from just standing on the spot. i can see how it would trim u down a little as u have to engage ur muscles to keep ur balance but it didn't work for me. hope this helps! :happy:
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Hi Leeanneb01,I popped over to Wikipedia and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_body_vibration#Training_effects

Wikipedia themselves note that the article does not provide a neutral view (it is a little too much like an advert) so that makes is all the more interesting that the author does not mention calories at all.

I would say that this is because the calorific burn is either at or around zero of is difficult to accurately measure.

If you enjoy it and feel you get a benefit from it that is great, but unfortunately it looks like you will need to reply on your gym sessions alone for a calorific burn.

noexecuses84: The wikipedia article covers long term use also.
  • Hi Leeanneb01,I popped over to Wikipedia and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_body_vibration#Training_effects

Wikipedia themselves note that the article does not provide a neutral view (it is a little too much like an advert) so that makes is all the more interesting that the author does not mention calories at all.

I would say that this is because the calorific burn is either at or around zero of is difficult to accurately measure.

If you enjoy it and feel you get a benefit from it that is great, but unfortunately it looks like you will need to reply on your gym sessions alone for a calorific burn.

noexecuses84: The wikipedia article covers long term use also.

Thanks I'll have a read
  • Thanks I'll have a read over
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Using a vibration plate does not in itself burn calories. What it can do is add additional core work to any resistance training you do on it. I asked one of the trainers at the gym about adding new core exercises to my routine to improve my running, and she recommended doing my squats, lunges, triceps dips, push-ups and planks etc. on it so I'm challenging my core throughout.

Use the MFP calorie burn for the type of exercise you're doing on it, e.g. calisthenics light or vigorous, or weight training if using dumbbells. Warning, it's not very much and 10 minutes sure as hell won't burn as many calories as an hour on the treadmill!
  • lisaelainee
    lisaelainee Posts: 248 Member
    May I add that wikipedia can be edited by anyone and that I wouldn't trust what it says..