Help needed at gym please!

Options
I joined a gym and after a quick induction Ive been left to it.

I cant afford a personal trainer (£25 per hour - outch!!) and im fine using the machines but Im after some advice regarding toning up and using the weights.

Does anyone have any ideas of a 'routine' I could use to help tone my arms and tummy - my worst areas!

They have free weights, bars, ball etc etc so any help (with step by step guides lol) that would be great! Ive kinds messed with them a bit but no idea how many reps I should do and how often or what size weight!

Massive thank you in advance to anyone who can help a total newbie!! xx

Replies

• Spooney45
    Options
    Try 30 mins cardio 4-5 times and weights maybe 2 times a week, make sure they're slightly heavy. make sure you stretch properly. I'm new too but this is the advice I was given for the same things. Add me if you like
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    there are loads of free beginners and more advanced stuff at bodybuilding.com. the site is a bit flashy and busy for my tastes but if you can get past that, there is lots of good advice/programs and a good database of video clips and explanations for loads of exercises, free weights and machines.
    the other big popular one around here is "new rules of lifting for women" (often called NROL4W) which is a book including a 6 month weights program and eating plan. There is a NROL4W group around here with decent crowd of support/advice.

i grabbed a bodybuilding.com set of exercises which i was using before christmas and did a great job of making me more confident in the weights room. & is started NROL4W in the new year and i'm loving it so far :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Do they have a weight machine circuit? You can pretty much just start at one end and move through each machine.
    Jogging on treadmills or regular running is also good for stomach muscles.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    another vote for NROL. Very clear exercise routine. Inexpensive book. Lots of support here.
  • lisahoyle
    Options
    Even my cheap and cheerful gym will offer a bit more support than that - look out for a member of staff who looks friendly and keen and ask them for a bit of advice - or if there isn't one see if there are any friendly punters who are about the same age and build as you but look fitter!
  • charlee_a
    Options
    Thank you for the advice will definately have a look at the site. I just want to make sure that Im doing it right and not causing more injury to my body than helping! x