Not a single day under my 1200 goal yet!

Options
I'm finding this site useful so far, to see where the calories add up so much. I've not yet stayed at 1200 or under yet, usually around 1600 and often up to 2000 calories in a day. I'm picking the wrong things to eat, and yes too much red wine in there too, doesn't help.

Did some exercise though yesterday and used the report for that, and it's encouraging to see the calories going the other way suddenly. Maybe that is my hope! I'm not so good at cutting down the calories, but don't mind exercise.

Replies

• daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    1200 is so hard to stay at (at least it is for me). I am absolutely starving at 1200.
  • mlmcquinn
    Options
    Everyone has their own path. Right now with the nasty weather, I am having issues getting my exercise in since I started in the summer and was doing it 100% outdoors, but I am keeping vigilant with my food.
    You have to lose weight your own way, or you won't lose at all. That is why there are so many methods.
    Good Luck!
  • Noel1114
    Noel1114 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Keep up the exercise, it really helps for the calories and just strta reducing the red wine, one glass less initially.
    I:ve managed to still drink some guinness and still lose weight. So keep going you;ll get used to it.
  • Jacquibennett
    Jacquibennett Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.
    Exercise is definitely the way to go, but you do need to choose healthy food choices as well. As has been said just make one small change at a time and before you know it everything will fall into place :smile:

Good luck x
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm finding this site useful so far, to see where the calories add up so much. I've not yet stayed at 1200 or under yet, usually around 1600 and often up to 2000 calories in a day. I'm picking the wrong things to eat, and yes too much red wine in there too, doesn't help.

Did some exercise though yesterday and used the report for that, and it's encouraging to see the calories going the other way suddenly. Maybe that is my hope! I'm not so good at cutting down the calories, but don't mind exercise.
    Maybe I am wrong, but it sounds like you are over reaching to go for 1200, especially if you are exercising regularly.
    When we restrict calories too much, the weight loss is neither healthy nor permanent.
    Usually, when I hear "1200", alarm bells go off.

Just a thought...:flowerforyou:
  • Fififantastic
    Options
    Well done for making the step towards a new, healthier you. The calorie goals are a great guide to see where all the calories are coming from and its great to see them go when you exercise. Keep tracking your food, every single thing you eat, and use the guides to help educate yourself and make healthier choices. After a little while it all starts to make sense and gets easier as you go along. If you go over your calorie goals dont stress, just learn from it and keep going. You will find great friendships and inspiration from the people here. Dont be afraid to ask questions, the people here are more than happy to help. Best of luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :flowerforyou:

Perhaps you should go for something more like 1500? 1200 is low in my opinion. We are almost the same age (I'm 43) and I don't know how much you have to lose but you might have an easier go at 1500? Then you can plan your wines or exercise on the days that you have them? Just an idea.
  • Louisa1979
    Louisa1979 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eating more lean protein may help. I've been doing the Dukan diet and have the opposite problem of trying to make sure I do eat 1200 as I am full all the time.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I agree with others that 1200 sounds too low to be realistic. Esp for the long haul. I too find exercising easier than eating less. One is fun, the other is not. But the draggy truth is you can't out-train a bad diet. Make small, consistent changes and you can do it.
  • kaz60
    kaz60 Posts: 9
    Options
    seeing as 2000 cals is the average for a women and you show a reduction at the end of the day i am thinking what with exercise you will lose weiaght and get toned up hope i am right .