Exercise and mood

Options
I've heard so many people saying that exercise increases endorphin production which makes you happy, etc. etc.

but every time I exercise, I just feel frustrated/angry/sad. I'm starting o really hate it. I think the worst bit is that I've been on MFP since October, lost 5-6kg (13lbs), but I can't see ANY difference at all. And it just feels like all this eating healthy and exercise is for nothing. It leaves me in a terrible mood all day and I don't think I can cope with this.

does anyone have any advice? Or has anyone gone through a similar thing? I'm about ready to just go and devour huge amounts of chocolate to make myself feel better, grrr.

Replies

• choccay
    choccay Posts: 32
    Options
    just me, then?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing? And how are you fuelling your body before and after?
  • choccay
    choccay Posts: 32
    Options
    at the moment all i'm doing is the 30 day shred. I don't usually eat immediately before or after doing it, because I don't feel hungry at those times.. I mostly stick to 3 meals a day and sometimes a snack
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    well. 3 months and you aren't seeing anything? You may want to rethink this whole thing then. You need to focus on long term, to change habits and make new ones. Nothing is going to change overnight unfortunately, I wish it would. I've been on a weight loss plateau for over two years and sure there have been times I've been frustrated but the way I see it now is that I'm doing this for my long-term health and fitness. The weight will come off when other things align (like getting enough sleep in my case).

So yeah, my opinion is that you may need to think it over differently. No amount of refueling is going to make you feel happy about exercise if you are only doing it to see immediate results.
  • chanson104
    Options
    I frequently feel like I cannot "see" a difference, but then I look at my measurements and know that there obviously is one. Maybe it would encourage you if you at least measured your waist every couple weeks. I also tell myself to just keep doing what I'm doing (exercising, eating well), and the end result has to be weight loss and better health regardless as to how I feel.

I wonder if you need to try a different exercise. I started out hating exercise, but now I really enjoy it. Try different things; give each thing a week or two and see what you like best. I also do better if there is a goal involved in the exercise outside of weight loss i.e. completing the C25K -- and then participating in a 5K or completing the 30 day shred. Start out taking it one week at a time -- this week I will complete week 1 of C25K or do level 1 of 30 day shred five times. It feels good to meet a goal and then the weight loss becomes a bonus to that.
  • cottonball77
    Options
    I think the food question is a good one. I wonder if you are eating enough calories? Too few calories might explain feeling so bad. Also, think about your sleep- are you getting enough? It's amazing how important sleep is to mood, cognition, and tons of other stuff. If you aren't sleeping well or enough, then expending tons of energy on the 30DS probably isn't helping

You might also want to take a look at what else is going on in your life and see if there are other stressors could be adding to your negative feelings...

Good luck and don't give up!!!!!!
  • AliG69
    AliG69 Posts: 12
    Options
    One thing I find is that because I'm so busy I don't always realise how I'm feeling underneath all the distractions of every day life. Exercise gives me a moment to check in - and if I am a bit down I'll really notice it. Do you know why you are feeling frustrated? If it's about the exercise itself are you breaking down you big goals into small managable steps and celebrating each bit of progress? If it's about something else is there anything you can do about it?

As for feeling different - every single moment you look after yourself by eating well and taking exercise is something to be proud of. you're worth looking after. And if you take a step backwards from time to time and reach for the chocolate - forgive yourself, and just start looking after yourself again as soon as you can.

Most of all - keep the faith, hang in there!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Do you love 30DS? If not, why are you doing it? Forget comparing calorie burns, the best exercise is the one you do and you'll only stick with it if you love it.

I promise there'll be something out there that will make you feel great about your body and get the results you're looking for, whether it's running, Zumba, or weight training etc.

I'm training for a Marathon which means some of the sessions I have to do when I'm really not in the mood. Sometimes I hate every step, other times I come back yelling, "I LOVE RUNNING!!!"

To get me through the bad items, I allow myself fun days when I just do what I feel like, whether it's a lunchtime walk round London tourist sites, a gentle swim, a class like Zumba or Body Pump with others to motivate me or an exercise DVD. Yesterday I just wanted to watch TV so I did - but pedalling my exercise bike!

Exercise isn't there to beat yourself up with. Find something you love, end even then you don;t have to stick with it, just mix it up as the mood takes you!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many people saying that exercise increases endorphin production which makes you happy, etc. etc.

but every time I exercise, I just feel frustrated/angry/sad. I'm starting o really hate it. I think the worst bit is that I've been on MFP since October, lost 5-6kg (13lbs), but I can't see ANY difference at all. And it just feels like all this eating healthy and exercise is for nothing. It leaves me in a terrible mood all day and I don't think I can cope with this.

does anyone have any advice? Or has anyone gone through a similar thing? I'm about ready to just go and devour huge amounts of chocolate to make myself feel better, grrr.

What exercise are you doing?

Be really careful you do not push yourself too hard, all that does is leave you frustrated and angry, because basically you get too tired to care.

Ensure also, that the training you are doing is not boring the pants off you, there is nothing worse than that, it can be soul-destroying! Some people love running, others detest it, the ones that hate it would be wasting their time doing running as their training, they would begin to dread every session see. The same with your training, what is it you are doing, swimming, running, walking or what?
  • Fififantastic
    Options
    Congratulations!! 6 kilos is a great loss. What kind of exercise are you doing? If you dont like it then maybe find something that you do like. It will make it much easier to do and you wont feel so angry/sad etc. Is there a sport you could get involved in? do you like dancing? bike riding? walking? yoga? It doesnt matter what it is, as long as you enjoy it, and it gets your body moving and your heart pumping, then it doesnt feel so much like exercise and more like fun. Also, have you taken measurements? 6 kilos is alot and you should be able to see inches/cms lost. Maybe a before and after photo? Keep up the good work, you've done so well to get this far and hopefully, soon you will see the results of all your hard work. :smile:
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I know it can be frustrating but I would encourage you to not give up. You're about halfway to your goal based on your ticker and as we get closer to our goal weight it is harder to lose. I agree with taking measurements or compare pictures if you didn't take any measurements at the beginning. Also take a good look at what your eating and how much, are you eating enough to fuel your body? Are you eating balanced meals or empty calories? I'm not trying to judge you, just give you things to think about. Also maybe shake up your exercise routine, try a different video or go for walks if you can. If you don't have them yet, get a set of handweights and do some strength training. You might not still see the weight 'fall off' but as you build lean muscle you'll burn more calories all the time and be able to tighten up what you do have. Good Luck, I know it can be discouraging but it is well worth it when you are healthier. I started my journey in Oct 2009 (and I'm not done yet) so sometimes it does take time and commitment.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that exercise changes my mood for the better every time I do it. I am the type that will dread doing it and then after, I am almost high. I never regret getting my exercise.

I also will state that I try to see the brighter side of life and choose to be a positive person. I find that many people that have a negative outlook on life have the ability to not see the benefits from exercise because they are not focused on the positive, but what they do not feel. Not that this is your case, but it is something you may want to think about.

Today I have the choice if I am going to be happy about doing this whole healthy thing or be mad about it. I choose to be happy because getting sad does nothing for me but make me fat.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I loathe running. Convinced by all the 'everyone can run and love it' that seems to be everywhere, I took it up after having my second son and stuck with it for at least 6 months, running every day and got to the point I could do 10k. I have no regrets in that given I hated it building up to 10k was really quite an achievement, but funnily enough I never grew to like something I had loathed from the start.

Exercise should and can make you feel good, I think you need to keep experimenting to find something that works for you. I now use exercise DVDs, I don't love it every single time and definitely (like now!!) sometimes think I can't be bothered, but have see massive changes in my physique, plus I do usually enjoy it once I get going so this has given me the willpower to keep going.