It's so hard getting started again!

Options
My last major weight loss of over 100 lb is now starting to fade into distant memory. I was at an adult lifetime low weight of 79.8 kg back at the beginning of 2007 - about 5 years ago. That was after a two year low-calorie diet. Then the rebound began and I gained almost all of it back.

At the beginning of 2010 I tried again and was able to stay on my diet for about 6 months, and lost over 15 kg. Then during and after a trip to the U.S. in late summer it started rebounding.

And here I am on the last day of January, 2012. 55 years old. 130 kg. Fat and very miserable. And I can't seem to get back on track.

In between I've tried various non-calorie-counting diets: low-carb, vegan low-fat, WW "simply filling" - anything just to try not to count calories. But they all fail. Because I always eat too much relative to my activity.

I know, for me, there is only one tried and true way of losing weight: journaling all food and exercise and making sure to have a calorie deficit so I can lose 1~2 lb per week.

But it's hard getting on track again.

And I've lost 100+ lb so many times just to see it all come back again. It's very very discouraging.

Tomorrow is February 1st. I would very much like to start again in the morning and hopefully, after 6 months or so, get down to a weight where I feel comfortable traveling and visit my mother and sister in the U.S. in the summer for the first time in two years.

So my goal is to try again, journal, limit calories and increase exercise. You know - the common sense, normal things I know will help me lose weight again.

But I don't have much confidence.

Anyway, I'm going to try.

I sort of prefer my own pen-and-notebook journaling, but myfitnesspal is convenient because I can log via my iPhone too. I just wish it would let me do quick calorie entries *with* a short, optional description (a feature I've begged for for the last couple of years) so I can enter something quick like "dinner out with Dave, 452 calories".

And I really wish there was an easy way of "starting over" and getting rid of all my old data!

I considered deleting this account and/or creating a new one. But I do have some friends here so I won't do that.

Anyway, words of encouragement, as usual, are always welcome. I know what I need to do if I can just do it!

doug

Replies

• sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hello Doug :happy:

Im the same as youut I hadnt lost 100lbs I have for 22 years yoyoed weightloss of 12-60lbs to regain over and over and have tried everything.
    In 2010 I lost 57lbs changed my life started exercising and lost it in 8 months,hurt my knee stopped exercising on doctors orders went away christmas and got back couldnt restart and in 2011 I gained 42ls Id lost.
    Im new to counting calories Ive tried twice in 20 years my mum used to do it when i was little.
    I need support dont have any at home so I have joined several forums in the past but this is so different always someone here who actually seems to care and help.
    I was the same as you last week Im on day 8 but I still feel the same as you that niggle in the back of my mind Im going to regain but it can be done we can lose this and maintain ther maintaners on here,now we have to change us.Im not to hung up on not being able to have this and that I have what I fancy but try and stay inline with total carb/protein/fats Im confused with alot of it and I do intend to start exercising more than walking but I will do this like this until Im ready.

If you want a buddy Im here I have to be and so will many others be here for you this is a journey and one you know you do extremely well the other one at the end the new unknown journey we both have to do is maintaince and itis hard but not as mentally hard as starting over again hey :)
    heres to your weeks 1 and just think how quick a year goes :bigsmile:
  • random255
    random255 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey Doug. Sounds like you were on a good path, at least for the short to medium term. That's good news! The downside, as you pointed out, is that you eventually regained much of your hard-fought weight loss. That's nothing to be ashamed about. In fact, you're here, posting about it, asking about it. You're already on your way to doing even better, because you're staying self-aware and trying to learn about your patterns.

What factors contributed to you regaining the weight? Did you track your calories last time? Just remember, you've put these pounds off before, you can do it again. Might even be easier this time around. A large portion is mindset. You can do this.
  • douglernerold
    Options
    Sandown,

Thanks for your note. It does sound like we have been in similar situations, those yours less extreme than mine.

What's amazing is that even though I feel so much better when I lose wait (e.g. I can sit in an airport waiting lounge and I actually have a lap for my laptop!) for some reason I start the regain.

You are right. Time goes by quickly. I'd be happy to be a support buddy.

I'm basically ignoring carbs and proteins except for the knowledge that certain carbs trigger hunger, and proteins seem to be more filling for me. But it's the overall calories which determine whether we actually lose weight or not.

Congratulations on being on day 8. I'd love to be able to stay on a diet at least 8 days again!

doug
  • douglernerold
    Options
    Random,

Thanks for your message.

I did track calories. I don't know why I regain exactly. But for some reason once I really get going I find I can stay on a diet for about 700 days, about 2 years, and then I just slowly start falling off of it, rationalizing that something with more calories has less, watching the weight creep up but not being able to pull myself back from the brink. It's like watching a horrible accident in slow motion.

doug