Looking for a Sugar Free or Very Low Sugar Granola Recipe

Options
AdrienneKaren
AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
I really like granola, but I rarely eat it because it's got so much sugar. Does anyone have a recipe that is really low in sugar or am I wishing for something impossible?

Replies

• th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for granola bars whihc uses brown sugar & honey. Its very healthy. Let me know if you would like the recipe.
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/23/copycat-nature-valley-granola-bars/

this one looks good, but maybe you can sub the agave with Xylotol?

Xylotol is diabetic safe and taste JUST like sugar! You can also use it in all recipes just like you would use sugar.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I make my own using applesauce, a little honey and cinnamon and vanilla. MMM....now I want to go make more, lol. Oh and I add some almonds towards the end of the baking too.
  • kd80538
    kd80538 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Could you post the recipe for this one?
  • luvgreen25
    Options
    I make my own using applesauce, a little honey and cinnamon and vanilla. MMM....now I want to go make more, lol. Oh and I add some almonds towards the end of the baking too.

Can you post this recipe? Sounds yummy!
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Here is the healthy granola bars which I found on web. They are filling.

2 cups rolled oats (I’ve upped it to 2 1/2 cups for another batch and they turned out great)
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    1/4 cup ground flax
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I think it was called “soft” flour)*
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/4 cherry-flavoured cranberriesOr chocolate chips
    3/4 teaspoon sea salt
    1/2 cup honey
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 cup canola oil (I might try substituting some of the oil with apple sauce next time)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * I picked up a lot of these ingredients at the bulk food store. I’ve also made a batch with sunflower seeds and whole flax seeds. They were just as great! I find that if I add raisins and cranberries the bars become sweeter and chewier. You’ll have to experiment and figure out what you like best.
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 x 13 baking pan.
    2. In large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, flax, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the centre, pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well. Pat the mixture evenly into the pan.
    3. Bake for about 30 minutes, but watch the baking time. If you leave them in too long they’ll be dry. I like mine a bit chewier. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars or squares. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting or they will be too hard to cut.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't realize there were requests. :)

Here's my recipe:

3.5 cups rolled oats (I need gluten-free so if you do too, make sure they're marked gluten-free)
    2 tsp cinnamon

Toss oats and cinnamon in large bowl.

In smaller separate bowl combine:

1 cup applesauce (no sugar added is best)
    2 tsp vanilla
    1-2 Tbsp honey or agave nectar (depends on your taste preference)

Pour applesauce mixture over oats and mix until all the oats are coated. If this wasn't enough (sorry going from memory) make another smaller batch of mixture.

Line baking dish or cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread mixture out evenly, leaving small clumps. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until oats are starting to get golden brown. Take it out and using a spatula or spoon turn granola over and return to oven for another 10-15 minutes. If desire, I add almonds at this point otherwise they get too soft. Let granola cool and store in airtight container.

*I put this into the recipe calculator and I get about 12 1/2 cup servings and they are 173 calories each. I eat mine with greek yogurt. :)
  • Cindylouhenriques
    Options
    Just what I was looking for! I knew there was a way to make it with apple sauce!
  • sazzet
    sazzet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Mine is:
    150 grams oats
    100 grams each of various nuts, including chopped almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, chopped walnuts
    some flax seeds if you want
    cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

And then add whatever sweetener you fancy, whether agave or maple syrup (I use pommagranate molassas). I only use 2 or 3 tablespoons and drizzle it lightly over.

Stir it up well so the sweetener is evenly spread,then toast it in the oven for about 45 mins, but stop and stir it every 10-15 minutes.
  • cr21
    cr21 Posts: 22
    Options
    bump