Gym Aches - Recovery Tips?

Options

Replies

• TiffyC828
    TiffyC828 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would drink alot of water before and after..I take some ibuprophren before hand too...

Maybe add some more warm ups before getting to work?? It could be you're not stretching enough. I have always noticed too, the aching stops when I start my workout again...though I may be sore when I'm done. Hence the ibuprophren :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great advice here! I also sometimes use a heating pad or tiger balm to relieve some of the soreness!
  • almost350
    Options
    Drink plenty of water
    Ice your knees after the session or have a dip in some ice water
    Painkillers
    Deep Heat or Freeze
    Eat Protein within an hour of working out
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    protein and water! Lots of both.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Take a couple Motrin. Lots of H2O
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I agree, with three basic strategies for workout pain:

>>increase lean protein intake -- I shoot for 100g per day -- since you're working out at a gym, see if someone there is qualified to give you a nutrional workshop or session, for overall help.

>> drink plenty of water to decrease the effects of dehydration. As many others have stressed - this is KEY.

>>warm up and active stretching of muscle groups that are sore. I usually have to to this everyday, at home, at work, etc. because the worked muscles get tight from the metabolic chore of rebuilding.

The good news is that your personal traininer will take feedback from you and continue to customize your program. Your muscle groups whould have plenty of time to recover and rebuild the tissue prior to the next time you work them.

The best news is that the soreness definitely gets better over time, and as you get stronger. Stick with it and you'll start to see the results that will really motivate you... and, you'll learn to really "love" that tenderness, because it means you are building up the best tissue to keep you lean and strong.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    after a hard workout i use either a foam roller or the stick and massage the achy areas. this helps flush out the lactic acid build up in your muscles.
    That helps for sure, and feels good - :bigsmile:

Lactic acid is usually flushed from your muscles 30-60 minutes after training anyway, but give it a go.

The soreness is caused by the microtrauma done to the musclefibers. Over the next 24 hours the damaged muscle becomes swollen and pain receptors are notified. You end up having fibers that are fatigued with microscopic tears that are swollen.

The best thing to do is to stretch properly before and during your workout and gradually build up weight throughout your workout. I get a little sore from mine, and so it goes.

What better excuse for a nice massage!
  • kototo
    kototo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would start out training three times a week.. maybe work upper body one day lower body the next? give each a day inbetween. make sure you stretch afterwards, maybe lactic acid build up? Hope it doesnt deter you... keep up the good work
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I kind of hate personal trainers for doing this to people. They know you are going to be really sore but they push you to your limit the first day and then your out of commision. They tried this on me when I joined a gym. Thankfully I have had some previous workouts with P90x so it wasn't bad.

Rest
    Strectch
    Protein
    Water

I find it best to work those muscles a little too. Makes them feel better even though it really hurts. Just do what you can.
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    While I think some soreness is a good sign that you're building strength, being so sore you're afraid to sneeze is not conducive to developing long-term new habits, I don't think. I would be tempted to tone it down just a bit, get it to a manageable level. That said, working through it (although it's a drag at first) seems to definitely make it improve faster. Just not so hard that every movement is agony. Eventually that's going to lead to avoidance.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    stretch more, and add more protein! your muscles are pissed! shut um up with food they desire =) After you workout add 30g of your choice.
  • clairification
    clairification Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    -Epsom Salts!!! It sounds like such an old lady thing to do, but they are seriously great. Pick up a carton at your local drug store ( or online) and add a few cups to a bath. It really helps with muscle soreness, especially if you do it regularly.
    -Be sure you are getting enough potasium, magnesium and calcium. Your body needs them to keep your muscles tip top.
  • luvgreen25
    Options
    I usually try to drink a glass of milk after a workout. Someone once told me that helps repair the small tears in the muscles.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    water, and a casien whey protein mixture and more protein filled foods :-), stretching is huge too
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    A gentle workout can help ease the pain from a brutal one. I like yoga for days when I am really sore. The worst thing to do is sit/stop moving.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    It's really just one of those things you have to grin and bear. It won't be as bad when you get in better shape, I promise. :flowerforyou:
  • FionaNiConnor
    FionaNiConnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been working through some similar issues. The biggest things that help me are:

Water. Then some more. No, don't stop. More water.
    Bananas. I *hate* the taste, though, so I mash one up in milk and cringe the whole time. But the potassium and sugars help.
    Protein. I love me some red meat, but that's often too heavy right around a workout, so I try to have peanuts with me.
    Water.
    Yoga or stretching or a walk with the dogs on my off-days. Walking my dogs can be a little more, um, strenuous for me, as I have two rather exuberant Labradors, but they keep me moving and it's true that the worst thing for muscle pain is to stop moving.

Your muscles hurt because to build them, one must damage the muscle a bit. It's the regeneration process that builds and strengthens muscle tissue. You have to feed it, hydrate it, and soothe it after you've given it a beating.
  • jdcraik
    jdcraik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You note the theme here: pain is good (it's "weakness leaving the body"). Yes, by all means drink more water. If it's still really difficult for you, however, try an ice bath right after you work out. Sounds tough but it works. If you dump a bag of ice in a tub of cold water and sit in it for 5-10 minutes it will help your muscles reduce their inflammation. The first 30 seconds are brutal, but that couple of minutes of cold helps prevent a few days of aches - it works for me after long runs in the dead of winter. Also, the "pain" of ice baths might put the aches of working out in perspective.

Keep up the workouts, though - building muscle is a huge help in weight loss!

Good luck.
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It won't last long honest if you stick to a regular schedule. Try a protein shake at the end.
  • Leesseebee
    Options
    tomato juice has helped me with triathlon over training pain...aaand always stretch!