Pedometer calories burnt v MFP calculation

Options
Hi, Just wondered if anyone can help - when I go for a walk or a run - the pedometer reading of calories burnt is way below that which MFP calculates - I have been going by MFP on the basis that it knows my stats and the pedometer doesnt have that function - but I then had a panic attack and thought "What if it's wrong and I have to do more!!!!" :noway:

Any thoughts?

Replies

• fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If your pedometer doesn't know your age, weight, etc then it is using an average. If you are heavier than average you will be burning more calories than the pedometer says.
  • ctriston
    ctriston Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello Flumpy!!!

I think that the only way to be sure is with a heart rate monitor.....xx But for example on the wii, that knows weight heart etc....but I am always a bit cautious and don;t eat all the extra calories just in case..
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    MFP highballs things a bit, for me. For example, on yesterdays run my heart rate monitor showed about 20 calories lower than MFP.

If the effort I put in is big (it always is for a run) I go with MFP. But for other things--like spin, I spin at least 4 times a week so I'm very efficient at it and know I don't have as big of a burn as someone who is new to it--I either use my heart rate monitor number of I just lower the time in MFP to compensate. My last spin session was 45 minutes, I logged it as 30.

I think about my effort...if it's really high I go with MFP, if it's not I correct time to lowball the number.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I would say neither are very accurate. MFP vastly over estimates my calorie burn and your pedometer not knowing your stats will only be able to give you a very rough guideline.
    I would either invest in a HRM for the most accurate calculation or chose a calorie burn in the middle of MFP's and the pedometers.
  • heleflump
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone - will look into a HRM (although I really like MFP's estimation - I too think it may be a little high)