Row Machine

Options
When you work out on the row machine, in what muscle areas do you "feel the burn?" I used it for the first time Sunday, and I was really only sore in the thigh area. Just wondering if I did it correctly?

Replies

• seehawkmomma
    Options
    I feel it in my chest
  • tonialeem
    Options
    I've done it a couple of time but only ever felt it on my arms and back.....I didn't feel like I was doing it properly though it's an awkward
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If you're sore in the thighs then it means you were using your legs more than your arms (it's ok). Make sure you pull the machine all the way to your chest so your back muscles and your arms get a workout too.

To answer your question though, my thighs, and back typically are sore after a good row machine workout.

Great job. ;)
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I thought it was supposed to work my core as well, but I felt nothing, so I thought maybe my form was wrong.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    As a former rower, you should be sore in your legs. You may also feel it in your arms, but most of the work should be done by your legs. One thing I recommend is to slow the legs down when you move forward. It makes you work a little hard because your momentum doesn't carry you forward.

If your back hurts, you are doing something wrong. You may feel a little bit of core work, but you have to go all the way up and kind of twist to one side. It's hard to describe it to someone unless they've been in a boat.
  • swilkie1961
    swilkie1961 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just read that you should be using your leg muscle to move the majority of way, then pull with your arms. So I would think you would feel most of the burn in your thigh.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    If you're sore in the thighs then it means you were using your legs more than your arms (it's ok). Make sure you pull the machine all the way to your chest so your back muscles and your arms get a workout too.

Ok, I know I wasn't pulling it all the way to my chest. Going to try again today, and maybe I will raise the resistance a little. Thanks!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Keep your core tight throughout and you'll feel a total body workout:

There are four phases to rowing:
    1.The Catch
    2.The Drive
    3.The Finish
    4.The Recovery

Start
    Sit on the seat, strap your feet into the foot pads and grab the handles with an overhand grip.
    Extend your arms straight toward the flywheel, and keep your wrists flat.
    Slide forward on the seat until your shins are vertical.
    Lean forward slightly at the hips.

Drive
    Begin the drive by extending your legs and pushing off against the foot pads.
    Keep your core tight, arms straight and back firm as you transfer power to the handles.
    As your knees straighten, gradually bend your arms and lean your upper body back. Finish with a slight backward lean.

Finish
    Bend your elbows and pull the handle into your abdomen.
    Extend your legs.
    Lean back slightly at the hips.

Recovery
    Extend your arms by straightening your elbows and returning the handle toward the flywheel.
    Lean your upper body forward at the hips to follow the arms.
    Gradually bend you knees and slide forward on the seat to the start position.

Catch
    Similar to the start position, extend your arms straight toward the flywheel and keep your wrists flat.
    You are ready to take the next stroke.

Common mistakes:

Leaning too far back at the Finish Position
    Leaning too far forward in the Catch Postion
    Jerking the handle back with the arms
    Starting the Drive with the low back instead of the legs

Hope that helps! I love my Concept II!
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    If your back hurts, you are doing something wrong. You may feel a little bit of core work, but you have to go all the way up and kind of twist to one side. It's hard to describe it to someone unless they've been in a boat.

I felt nothing in my back or my core. I'm going to focus on keeping my core firm while I do it this afternoon, and maybe that will help with feeling it there.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    Keep your core tight throughout and you'll feel a total body workout:

There are four phases to rowing:
    1.The Catch
    2.The Drive
    3.The Finish
    4.The Recovery

Start
    Sit on the seat, strap your feet into the foot pads and grab the handles with an overhand grip.
    Extend your arms straight toward the flywheel, and keep your wrists flat.

Drive
    Begin the drive by extending your legs and pushing off against the foot pads.
    Keep your core tight, arms straight and back firm as you transfer power to the handles.
    As your knees straighten, gradually bend your arms and lean your upper body back. Finish with a slight backward lean.

Finish
    Bend your elbows and pull the handle into your abdomen.
    Extend your legs.
    Lean back slightly at the hips.

Recovery
    Extend your arms by straightening your elbows and returning the handle toward the flywheel.
    Lean your upper body forward at the hips to follow the arms.
    Gradually bend you knees and slide forward on the seat to the start position.

Catch
    Similar to the start position, extend your arms straight toward the flywheel and keep your wrists flat.
    You are ready to take the next stroke.

Common mistakes:

Leaning too far back at the Finish Position
    Leaning too far forward in the Catch Postion
    Jerking the handle back with the arms
    Starting the Drive with the low back instead of the legs

Hope that helps! I love my Concept II!

Thanks so much!!!
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    you'll feel it in your core if you pull your fists all the way to your chest, and then lean back some (your core will work to hold you in place and prevent you from falling all the way back). In my experience, the rowing machine will only be an effective full-body workout if your form is right. is there anyone at the gym you can ask about proper technique?
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    is there anyone at the gym you can ask about proper technique?

Not really. I go to a 24 hour gym, and the majority of the people who work there are basically just there to run the counter, etc. I think I will just watch for another person who looks like she knows what she's doing on it, and ask her to critique me. :smile:
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This. Perfect answer. Thank you.
    As a former rower, you should be sore in your legs. You may also feel it in your arms, but most of the work should be done by your legs. One thing I recommend is to slow the legs down when you move forward. It makes you work a little hard because your momentum doesn't carry you forward.

• Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Depending on the time I spend on the machine, the workouts I had the previous days and the workouts I plan after it, I will feel the burn in the abs, the chest, the arms or the legs. I usually put most efforts on the one I want to while all muscle groups come to support it. I certainly try to keep my back straight and my abs tight during the entire workouts. I always use it at first to warm up and would stop if I felt a little tension in my neck or my back (every now and then).

Please note that I am autodidacte and you should consider a professional advice (there should be a trainer in your fitness club) rather than mine.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I should also point out, when I say "chest" I really mean the solar plexus, where the abdomen connects to the sternum. Don't pull up too high. Aim for the solar plexus.