water, water, water

Options
lisa28115
lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
:sick: I hate the taste of plain water!!!

trying to get my water in with a big glass, lots of ice and a straw

i use crystal light packets or Great Value drink mix packets that are totally sugar free
I love sweet tea but have learned to use splenda

no carbonated drinks anymore :bigsmile:

Replies

• HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of water as well. So much it gives me a headache.

What I do is I get a bottle (20oz) fill it up and chug it. That's 2.5 cups in less than 10 seconds. I do that about three times a day to reach my water goal.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I used to hate the taste of plain water too.

Now though I do a lot of running and exercise - and just need it. So I have learnt to drink it. I have a large refillable sports bottle - it holds 1 litre - I try and get through two bottles throughout the day whether I exercise or not.

I don't mind it anymore. It has to be better than drinking all that stuff with artificial sweeteners etc.

And it is free out of the tap!
  • lisa28115
    Options

What I do is I get a bottle (20oz) fill it up and chug it. That's 2.5 cups in less than 10 seconds. I do that about three times a day to reach my water goal.

Oh my!!!
    I don't think I could do that, plain water literally makes me sick to my stomach
    I think it has something to do withmy sinus drainage, but it is also good for your sinus...go figure:huh:
  • lisa28115
    Options
    I used to hate the taste of plain water too.

Now though I do a lot of running and exercise - and just need it. So I have learnt to drink it. I have a large refillable sports bottle - it holds 1 litre - I try and get through two bottles throughout the day whether I exercise or not.

I don't mind it anymore. It has to be better than drinking all that stuff with artificial sweeteners etc.

And it is free out of the tap!

not ready to give up artifical sweetners:bigsmile:
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Try adding lemons, raspberries, oranges and limes. Infuse your water with flavor. Google making your own flavored water and there is a lot of stuff out there to help.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

i use crystal light packets or Great Value drink mix packets that are totally sugar free

You DO know you don't have to actually have plain water at all, right?
  • lisa28115
    Options

You DO know you don't have to actually have plain water at all, right?
    ...but people tell me all the think plain is best:noway:
    and i don't
  • lwalters5
    lwalters5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The problem with artificial sweetners is that they cause the same insulin reaction in your body as regular sugar. So, it may not have the amount of calories, but it is still doing the same thing inside of you. And that is all that is known so far. Artificial sweetners haven't been around long enough for the real ramifications to be seen yet.

The bottom line is that our bodies are mostly water. So we require A LOT of water. It is a societal addiction to sugary drinks that make people dislike "plain" water.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Have you ever tried with a good water filter? A lot of times, if your water actually has a taste to it, it's because of the minerals and chemicals that are in most tap water (both from what the water company puts in, and what the water picks up as it travels to your house). Even the bottled water often has minerals added, and may pick up the taste of the plastic it's stored in.

Pure water actually doesn't have taste at all. To be fair, some people don't like that, either, but it might be worth a try if you can get a hold of a good filter or at least a glass of well-filtered water (reverse osmosis filters rock).

Short of that, Mio, Crystal Light, and regular tea are your friends. You don't need to drink just plain water for it to count. Technically, even things like soda and milk count, but the calories make them a poor "all the time" choice, obviously.
  • Queenb62303
    Options
    i to am NOT a fan of water... i fill up a big cup and drink through a straw during the day when im at work..ive found that helps, and i drink more that way too.
  • stewybr
    stewybr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have also found that just a squeeze or two of lemon juice goes a long way. And lemons are supposed to speed up your metabolism too.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    add some fresh mint to your water-its delish
  • Kona54
    Kona54 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    water is water..everything else is a beverage..try lemons/limes
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I love love love the "taste" of water. Nothing more refreshing after a good workout. Except maybe a beer...
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    DragonWolf, that's my problem. I can't stand tap water or water out of the fridge. My roommate and I have a HUGE pitcher with a filter in it that we drink from. But the water from the tap in our apartment reacts to vinegar (gets bubbly and fizzy like baking soda does) so I'm terrified to drink it straight anyway...
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan either, unless I'm exercising when I love the taste because I simply need it! But i'm not afraid to just whack a bit of squash in mine, it means I still drink plenty of it but it doesn't taste so bland. and the more water I drink, the less I eat so a bit of squash doesn't seem too bad!
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all I drink is water and I am terrible at that. I swear I must be part camel.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options

The chugging is most likely giving you the headache...not the water.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    The problem with artificial sweetners is that they cause the same insulin reaction in your body as regular sugar. So, it may not have the amount of calories, but it is still doing the same thing inside of you. And that is all that is known so far. Artificial sweetners haven't been around long enough for the real ramifications to be seen yet.

The bottom line is that our bodies are mostly water. So we require A LOT of water. It is a societal addiction to sugary drinks that make people dislike "plain" water.

Um...where did you learn that artifical sweeteners cause the same insulin reaction?

Most artificial sweeteners are considered to be "safe" foods with regards to insulin/blood sugar. That's why sweet food for diabetics are made with them.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/AN00348

At best, there are a handful of studies that suggest that there MIGHT be an effect, but for every study that says there is, there's at least one that says there isn't.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners-insulin/#axzz1l2mKYuSO

I won't argue your point about the other effects of artificial sweeteners, or that the other effects haven't been studied well, as I agree with those, but you are incorrect about the insulin reaction.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    DragonWolf, that's my problem. I can't stand tap water or water out of the fridge. My roommate and I have a HUGE pitcher with a filter in it that we drink from. But the water from the tap in our apartment reacts to vinegar (gets bubbly and fizzy like baking soda does) so I'm terrified to drink it straight anyway...

Hah, I've been there. Our water, sans filtering, has so much iron in it, it turns plastics orange (including our dishwasher). We had Culligan come out and test it and found it basically undrinkable and insanely hard (I kid you not, they use a solution that measures hardness by the number of drops required to make it react; "hard" is something like 8, ours measured 15). Suffice to say, we have a softener system and a reverse osmosis system.

It might be a good idea to get your water tested and see about a filtering system or having your renter do something. Even if you still don't drink it straight, whatever is in your water could be leeching onto your dishes and into your food, which is a problem unto itself.