LENTILS

Options
Whats everyones opinion on lentils? I'd like to know if they're good when dieting and how big should the portions be? If anyone knows any tasty recipes, please let me know :)

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I eat a a great amount of vegetarian foods and lentils are a big part of my diet.

1 cup of cooked lentils is around 200 calories and 17 g protein

I have been known to cook them with a package of Lipton french onion soup mix, but now I will try to make them with vegetable stock and freeze dried onions.

I typically do not eat them as my main meal but as a side, so I typically have around 1/2 cup serving.
  • MoogieOh
    MoogieOh Posts: 141
    Options
    So say if I was going to make a soup to serve 3 people, I could add in half a cup of cooked lentils and have it only be 33 calories? that doesn't seem right :P they seem so fatty
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmm lentils!!

We eat them every week! My kids love them and they are super healthy and eay to make.

My fave way to make them:

In a large pot boil water & "bunch" of cilantro. Once that is boiling for 20 min or so, add the lentils. Cook until soft. Once soft, add seasoning, a can of chile chipotle (I usually make a smaller pot and don't add the actual chiles in this one, but still add the chile sauce since it will be too spicy for the kids), chicken buillion. mmmmmmmmmmmmm
    it's also good if you drop a few whole eggs in there at the end. just crack them up and drop them in. they will cook like a boiled egg (sort of) and it's really yummy!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    So say if I was going to make a soup to serve 3 people, I could add in half a cup of cooked lentils and have it only be 33 calories? that doesn't seem right :P they seem so fatty

actually that sounds about right. it's going to depend on what all you put in them. if you are just cooking them by themselves they are pretty low-calorie
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are correct, that would be .33 calories for 3 people to share 1/2 cup. And they are not fatty, at all as a matter of fact they have .1 g saturated per cup. Lentils are super good for you.
  • Julia6633
    Julia6633 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Lentils are high in carbs..but they also have a ton of dietary fiber, so I don't think its bad. I made Lentil Soup last week and it was delicious and filling! Here's the recipe:

1 lb green lentil
    1 quart vegetable broth
    4 cups water
    4 celery ribs , diced
    4 carrots , peeled and diced
    1 onion , diced
    6 -8 garlic cloves , minced
    1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    3 sprigs fresh thyme
    2 bay leaves
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper
    1/2 lb baby spinach , roughly chopped

Directions:
    1. Combine all ingredients except spinach in crock pot. Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours, or until lentils have cooked and soup has thickened.
    2. Stir in spinach and let sit, covered, a few minutes until spinach has completely wilted.

Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Vegetarian Lentil Soup
    Serving Size: 1 (318 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    % Daily Value
    Calories 234.6

Calories from Fat 8
    56%
    Total Fat 0.9 g
    1%
    Saturated Fat 0.1 g
    0%
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    0%
    Sodium 69.7 mg
    2%
    Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
    13%
    Dietary Fiber 19.5 g
    78%
    Sugars 4.9 g
    19%
    Protein 16.1 g
    32%

Source: http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-vegetarian-lentil-soup-294219#ixzz1l2rR6eM6
  • flash2009
    flash2009 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian on a budget, so I live off of beans and lentils pretty much. I tend to use green rather than red as they stay firmer for me. Most often I make lentil burgers; lentils with couscous, cauliflower, and toasted almonds; and lentils and rice with caramelized onions. I could dig up recipes for any of these if they sound tasty to you. One that I tried recently was this root veg casserole from here --> http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1364/spicy-root-and-lentil-casserole It was quite nice! As for portions... I think 1 cup cooked is the norm one the food diary if you're eating them by themselves.
  • MoogieOh
    MoogieOh Posts: 141
    Options
    That sounds awesome! Thanks guys! I might do a yummy vegi lentil soup tomorrow night for dinner :D if anyone else has any info/ideas let me know :D
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I made this last week and it was so awesome. I also froze the leftovers and ate a bowl yesterday, so I know it freezes well. From skinnytaste.com

Lentil And Chicken Soup
    Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups • Points: 2 pts
    Calories: 126.3 • Fat: 0.8 g • Protein: 15.8 g • Carb: 14.1 g • Fiber: 5.0 g

1 lb dried lentils
    3 small chicken breast halves on the bone, skin and fat removed
    2 chicken bullion (I like Maggi)
    1 packet Sazon (in Latin section)
    1 small onion
    4 scallions
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tomato
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
    8 cups water

In a large pot combine lentils, chicken, water and chicken bullion. Boil, covered over medium-low heat until chicken is cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove chicken from the bone and shred, return to pot.

Meanwhile, in a mini chopper, finely chop onions, scallions, cilantro, garlic, and tomato. Add to the lentils with sazon and cook 15 more minutes, or until lentils are soft. (Add more water if needed)

Note: Sazon is found in the Latino or Mexican aisle. The seasoning is used on meats, fish, poultry, beans and even to flavor soups and stews. Typical ingredients include cilantro, corriander, annatto, azafran, achiote, garlic, onion or salt. Some brands contain MSG so check labels. I buy Badia Sazon Tropical because it has no MSG.
  • kayleighfred
    Options
    I'm cooking a chicken and lentil curry right now! Its worked out at 225 cals per portion,430 with half a bag of boil-in-the-bag rice.

I used 100g (dry weight) of lentils for 4 portions,so 25g for one serving,and it makes it so much more substantial for not very many calories :-)

Xx
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Lentils are awesome, but there are a TON of different types. My favorite are toor dal, but they require a pressure cooker to make. Delicious though!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I LOVE lentils! If u are watching ur sodium, then u won't want to cook them like I do. All I do is put seasoning salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper. Simple and delish!
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I LOVE lentils...I eat them every day during the week. I make a four bean salad with lentils, kidney beans, pinto beans, and baby lima beans, cooked from dry with garlic and thyme, then tossed with a garlic infused olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. Yum! Serving size is a half cup, with around 180 calories. That and two homemade meatballs, and I'm full and happy at lunch time. Lentil soup is also amazing. The thing I like about lentils is that they have a really easy flavor, so you can throw them into just about anything.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I want to marry lentils. They are so versatile and a great source for potassium. My favorite is to cook them with crushed tomato and black beans with vindaloo curry seasoning.