I need some good, healthy recipes... Please!

Options
2»

Replies

• firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    there are some really greak cook books you can get, otherwise anything that is more simplier made will reduce the calories :-). Yogurt, granola, fruit, and chocolate sauce is a good ice cream subsitiute.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've found that one easy way of loosing calories in basically every meal is to replace carbs with more vegetables. Cause most meals are a meat, vegetables, potatoes/rice/pasta. If you replace the potato/rice/pasta with vegetables it really cuts down on the calories.
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help! I'm feeling a lot less hopeless! It's hard enough cooking for everyone (one won't eat mushrooms, one won't eat anything without some form of tomato sauce, unless I trick him into it...) but trying to integrate healthy eating into it seemed really daunting!

I guess it would have been helpful to mention that the red meat I eat is either venison or antelope... both VERY low in fat and I just substitute it for beef in my recipes. My kiddos will eat veggies if I don't cook them too much, and they're little fruit hogs...

I will definitely be looking at those websites, and thanks to those who gave me their own recipes. Those sound great! I'm motivated again! =D
  • kmfolkins
    Options
    I think you will love this website.
    www.skinnytaste.com

Thanks for posting this site, it's great!
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    S-L-O-W-L-Y wean yourself and your family away from the red meat. You can get iron in green leafy vegetables instead of eating red meat more than 2 times a week. My family is/was a die hard carnivore red meat eating family with a huge side of starch like potatoes and very little vegetables until Mom decided (that's me) we all needed to change our eating habits. My kids are 16 and 18 years old, very physically active and by their looks don't need to change their diet. However after explaining to them that mom and dad are the size and girth they are after not watching the amount and type of food and drink we consume all of our adult life. Think *YOU too can look like this at (insert age here)* type of talk with your kids. You and they don't need to radically change anything...just substitute a little here and there. Try one meatless dinner a week. Get out a package of cards to size up how much a serving of steak should be on your plate. Measure serving sizes. This alone has stopped me from sitting down with a bag of chips and it also has given me a rude wake up call on what I use to consider a serving size.

So, for the red meat in your freezer: Take a recipe and cut the serving of meat in half, replace it with vegi's, legumes or starch such as rice or potato. Try one new food item a week, just at dinner. Have you ever thought about trying cauliflower mashed potatoes or sweet potato baked fries?

Also, sign yourself up to Hungrygirl.com and Relish.com. Have recipes and ideas (low calorie) about food items delivered to your in box daily. Search for and keep any dinners that are at or below 500 calories a serving. Make a huge salad once a week that can be available for at least 2-3 meals a week. Make sure to drink 16 oz. of water as you are preparing dinner. This one thing alone helps curb your appetite. Before pulling anything out, pour yourself that water. Here is my week's dinner menu. I *try* my best to spend at least an hour a week just planning for dinners. This way I am less likely to fix a heavy meal or call for take out!

Dinners:

1. Ground turkey tacos, (one for me) with yellow rice, red beans (I prepared a package of dried red beans last week and froze 1 cup serving sizes to get in more legumes in our meals), salsa and a serving size of chips (I ate 1/2 serving size)

2. Atheana fish ( tilapia) 1 pint cherry tomatoes, 1 cucumber, 3/4 cup diced onion, 1 tsp minced garlic, greek salad dressing, 1/4 cup white wine, 14oz artichoke hearts, Greek seasoning.

The cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, salad dressing seasoning and salt to taste make a vegetable salad. The fish is pan saute' finished, seasoned with Greek seasoning, salt and pepper, diced onion and garlic.

Calories per serving:140, Fat:11g, Sodium: 520mg, Carbs: 31g, Fiber 2g, Protein 1 g, Vit A 15%, Vit C 20%, Calcium 2%, Iron 2%

3. Root Vegetable Pie: Any root vegetables, I use leeks, spinach, carrots, potato, onion, turnips, dried and reconstituted mushrooms. 1/4 cup cooking sherry. Dice into 1 inch pieces, saute' with cooking sherry, salt and pepper to taste. Make a white roux gravy. I use about 1/2 cup milk product (your choice), mushroom water, a splash of sherry, 1/2 chicken bouillon cube. Heat together, add flour or corn starch to thicken. Use a prepared pie crust dough, mix white gravy and vegi's together, pour into pie crust. Top with second crust or do without. Bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees. Serve with a salad.

4. Grandma's Chicken with Salad and pre-packaged noodle mix.

Ingredients

8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    1 egg
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
    1 cup bread crumbs
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
    Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    In a shallow bowl, beat the egg with salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. In a separate dish, mix bread crumbs with 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
    Mix together the melted butter and lemon juice. Pour about 2/3 of the butter mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Tilt pan to coat the bottom. Spread mushrooms in an even layer in the bottom of the dish. Dip each chicken breast into the egg mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture. Place on top of the mushrooms. Drizzle remaining butter over the chicken, and sprinkle with parsley.
    Bake uncovered for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear.
    Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 281 | Total Fat: 11.6g | Cholesterol: 113mg

5. Tofu Spicy P-nut Noodles (I am using tofu for the first time this week)

Linguine (8oz)
    1/3 cup low fat creamy peanut butter
    1 1/2 tbs rice wine vinegar
    2 tbs. low sodium soy sauce
    1 -2 tsp. chili paste
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 med. size red bell pepper
    3/4 cup chopped cucumber
    3 green onion slice diagonally
    2 tbs chopped cilantro
    4 lime wedges (1 lime)

per serving: 234 calories, 9g protein, 8g fat, Sodium 270mg, 33g Carbs, 3g fiber

I serve this with a pre-packaged pork egg roll.

5. Bratwurst and french fries (not healthy or low in calories, but I will adjust my other meals to allow for this)

6. Peas and cheese tortillini - Pre-packaged tortillini, a small bag of frozen peas, 5 green onions sliced, 2 tbls. flour, 1 2/3 milk product (your choice), 1/3 grated parmigiana. Serve with a salad or slice tomatoes and fresh basil. Also serve with cheese toasts; small slices of bread topped with minced garlic, a little olive oil and a very small amount of parm. cheese toasted.

7. Chicken Verde Salsa Casserole - 2 tblsp. oil (I use olive in almost every meal if it calls for it), 2 lbs chicken, skinless, boneless, cooked and diced, 1 16 oz jar of salsa verde, 1 can (15oz) kidney or red beans (I used a serving of red beans made earlier in the week) , 1 onion diced, 3 cups tortilla chips, 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese. The original recipe calls for 1/2lb of chicken, another 16 oz jar of verde salsa and sour cream. Also 8oz bag of cheese. I reduce when I can the 'bad' stuff! Place all in a casserole dish and bake 30 minutes at 375 degrees.

8. Balsamic Pork Chops with tomato, basil wide noodles and green beans

4 pork chops (your call on type or thickness), 1/2 cup green onions sliced, 1 green bell pepper chopped, 1/2 diced piminentos drained, 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 1 cup chicken broth. Saute' flour dusted pork chops several minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate (I tuck into a warm oven) Add pimientos, onions, cook 3-4 minutes, add vinegar and broth, reduce broth to thicken. Add pork chops to pan and coat with vinegar mixture.

Tomato -Basil Noodles

No Yolk wide noodles ~ cooked per package directions
    fresh basil
    tomato finishing butter or phildelphia cream basil and tomato cream mixture, to taste (I wouldn't use a whole container ~ just enough to taste) 1/4 cup grated parm. cheese

Steam fresh green beans or another family loved vegetable side

Enjoy!
    BTW~ I enjoy cooking but don't like to spend all night in the kitchen. Most of these meals are well under an hour from start to finish, and many of them under 500 calories a serving.

Natalie:flowerforyou:
  • I use any recipe I can find by Ellie Krieger and have recently found (thanks to other people on here) www.skinnytaste.com and I really like it! :)
  • Queenb62303
    Options
    i have been living by skinnytaste.com....the asian glazed wings are amazing! i also love italian food and use italianfoodforever.com to make sauce and seafood recipes!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I think you will love this website.
    www.skinnytaste.com

^^^ My obsession!!!! AMAZING recipes
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Agreed skinnytaste.com is awesome! Also, www.thegraciouspantry.com great clean eating delicious recipes :o)
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    i have been living by skinnytaste.com....the asian glazed wings are amazing!

I made this on Friday, I don't really like chicken but they were soooo good. I am also going to make this again, but use tofu and broccoli with the same sauce. YUM!
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump for recipies
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The Eat Clean Diet will help provide you with a really good foundation on how to eat as well as recipes. That is what I have been doing and it's awesome! It's not really a diet, more of a way of living to help you eat food as close to its natural state as possible.

Here is a good, clean pizza recipe...

Whole pita breads - whole wheat or multi-grain
    Your favorite tomato-based pasta sauce
    Low-fat cheese
    And your choice of toppings
    Lean meats
    Fresh veggies - tomatoes, onions, broccoli, artichoke hearts, peppers, the list is endless
    Olives - black or green
    Sprinkle Italian seasoning or oregano on it before baking if you would like

Heat oven to about 375ish - top your pizza and then cook about 8-11 minutes depending on how crunchy you like them.

This will allow everyone to make their own pizza and you can control what goes on yours instead of eating the same pizza as everyone else. Plus it gets everyone involved! I hope you enjoy!:happy:
  • czechmate823
    czechmate823 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic - I've gotten many good recipes from here, a new blog to follow for more recipes and at least three new favorite sites! So, thank you, thank you , thank you! Good health and blessings to us all! :)
  • Deb925
    Deb925 Posts: 4
    Options
    Good Housekeeping had a 1200 calorie diet online for a 7 day period. I printed it out just as a guide. (goodhousekeeping.com, seven day meal plan) I also found, at myrecipies.com, a Mexican Chicken Casserole recipie that only has 359 calories for a 1 cup serving. I plan to use rotisserie chicken to make it quicker. I also found a Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe there, and a Taco Soup recipe there that I use for a "filler" or a snack.
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    Thanks all! You guys have helped me tremendously. :flowerforyou: