Protein advice (female)

Options
I was just wondering if any Females have advice for the use of protein supplements.. I do not get nearly enough in my regular diet so I purchsed Amp Wheybolic Extreme 60 but my husband made me nervous saying I will gain weight from it. I am okay with weight gain if it's obviously muscle but fat gain makes me nervous.. Has anyone else used protein supplements with success (*note I do resistance training and cardio but have not progressed to 'heavy' lifting yet..) any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• heidithebee
    Options
    I've been taking ON 100% Whey for the past month and I haven't gained any weight. I've posted a loss and noticed a difference in my lean muscle mass. I really do believe that it has helped out in my recovery and helped me make gains and losses in the right direction.

The reason I even started taking extra protein is because one of my instructors started taking it last year. She herself has lost a lot of fat and she wasn't near overweight by any means.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) Thats good to hear. My husband used the amp brand for awhile and told me excess protein is stored as fat but I feel like I don't eat enough as it is so a few times a week after working out or as a meal replacement shouldn't be bad...
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have been doing protein shakes for years and it actually makes me lose weight not gain. My personal trainer told me I should be getting about 100 grams of protein a day with all the working out I do which is hard to do if I don't do protein shakes. I will tell you to be careful about protein that has a lot of added supplements in it though. I was told to get just pure whey protein. Because we (women) don't need all the extra stuff in it like they sell at GNC. I don't know much about that really, I haven't gone in and researched any ingredient that's in some of the different brands - I just buy the 100% pure whey protein. I do try to buy good protein with higher grams of protein and no sugar added. Jay Robb has a great brand and he has lots of protein shake recipies on his website if you wanted to check them out. Good luck!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) Thats good to hear. My husband used the amp brand for awhile and told me excess protein is stored as fat but I feel like I don't eat enough as it is so a few times a week after working out or as a meal replacement shouldn't be bad...

LMAO, thats funny. Excess protein is not stored at all, you pee it out. That is why when we eat more than our bodies can process, we have a very strong urine smell.

You may want to get your husband a subscription to Mens Health for valentines day. :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    If you work a protein supplement into your daily calorie allotment, you will not gain weight.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If you work a protein supplement into your daily calorie allotment, you will not gain weight.

^^ This!
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    He is mistaken ..... and start lifting heavy
  • The trick is to get a protien shake that is high in protien and low in carbs/cals. I use GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Protien (strawberry flavor). It only has about 120 cals, 20g of protien, and only a couple grams of carbs (can't remember the exact amount).
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have used GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey protein, Body Fortress Advanced Whey Isolate, and BNRG Proto Whey. Out of all those, I like Proto Whey the best. Don't worry about gaining weight with it. As long as you work it into your daily calorie allotment you'll be fine. Drink plenty of water and get plenty of fiber.

If you want to find a supplement that works for you, there is a great selection at these websites:
    discountsupplements.com
    supplementwarehouse.com

Sometimes the ones at the grocery store are not the highest quality and in my opinion, GNC is overpriced.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    He is mistaken ..... and start lifting heavy

Hahaha! So to the point. I love it! And completely agree!