Carbs and Protein, how much???

Options
I have been on MFP for four weeks. I have lost 4 lbs, feels slow but I know it's a healthy pace. I have only been concerned about calories. When I DO reach my goal weight I would like to have a lean toned body and feel I should be paying more attention to my carbs/protien numbers. Any suggestions on what range I should be in????

I am 5'1" 152lbs. My GW is 125-130. I work out 30-45minutes, six days p/week.

Replies

• skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. :3
    Less than 150 grams of carbs per day.

At least thats what i do. >~<

Its been working so far. I've gone from 145 to 122 since Oct 20 2011
  • melissalangelage
    Options
    Hello!

Whenever you feel like a snack try to always grab a protein-filled one and not a carby sugary one. I find when I am at a petrol station I no longer go for the "healthy" grain chips or muesli bars. They may be low in calories so I don't go over my CALORIE goal, but they're plain old carbs which will just store as fat if I don't burn them, or will give me only a temporary high! So now I'll go for the sliced deli meats, sliced cheeses or packs of raw nuts instead. Ensuring, of course, not to go nuts with the saturated fats in the process...

You can use your MFP goals for carbs and fat, ensuring to always stay in the green with them (as in, eat less the same or less than what MFP sets for you each day), but with protein try to go into the red (as in, eat the same or more than what MFP sets for you each day)!!! I think the MFP protein goals are too low, especially if you exercise. You don't want your muscle wasting away after all that work to get it!!! So aim for 1 g protein per pound of body weight each day. For you this would be 152 g at the moment.

Good luck!
  • ericuk
    ericuk Posts: 1
    Options
    You can modify your macronutrient targets in the settings somewhere, although that may wait until you reach your target weight.

As mentioned, 1 gram protein per 1lb body weight is healthy and will promote muscle tone.

For reference, 1 gram of protein contains 4 calories. 1 gram carbs is also 4 calories.

I personally, only see calories as a guide number at the end of the day. Macronutrients tell the full story and will help you reach more specific goals, like fat loss or increased muscle tone.

Good luck for the future!
  • tumblingtumbleweed
    tumblingtumbleweed Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This has been helpful, thanks!!!! :smile:
  • monty_williams
    Options
    Once you work out calorie needs, you then work out how much of each macronutrient you should aim for. This is one of the areas that is MOST often confused but This should NOT be based on a RATIO of macro intakes. (eg: '30:40:30 or 40:40:20') Your body doesn't CARE what % intake you have. It works based on SUFFICIENT QUANTITY per LEAN MASS or TOTAL MASS. So to try to make it as simple as possible:

1. Protein: Believe it or not - Protein intake is a bit of a controversial issue. In this, the general recommendations given in the 'bodybuilding' area are nearly double the 'standard' recommendations given in the Sports Nutrition Arena.
    The GENERAL sports nutrition guideline based on most studies out suggest that in the face of ADEQUATE calories and CARBS then the following protein intakes are sufficient:
    STRENGTH training -> 1.2 to 1.6g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
    ENDURANCE training -> 1.4 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)
    ADOLESCENT in training -> 1.8 to 2.2g per KG bodyweight (about 1g / pound)
    BUT they also acknowledge that protein becomes MORE important in the context of LOWER calorie intakes, or LOWER carb intakes.

Regardless of this, the general 'bodybuilding' guidelines would be as follows:
    - If you guess your bodyfat is AVERAGE = 1-1.25g per pound TOTAL weight
    - If you KNOW your bodyfat = 1-1.5g per pound LEAN weight

If you are VERY LEAN or on a VERY LOW CALORIE INTAKE then protein should be higher:
    - Average bodyfat, lower calorie intake = 1.25-1.5 per pound total mass
    - Very lean, lower calorie intake = 1.33-2 per pounds lean mass

If you are VERY OVERWEIGHT, VERY INACTIVE, or on a HIGH calorie diet then you can decrease BELOW the above levels if desired*= ~ 1 x LEAN mass to 0.8-1 x total weight in pounds

Anecdotally, most find the HIGHER protein intake better for satiety, partitioning, and blood sugar control. So UNLESS you are specifically guided to use the GENERAL sports nutrition guidelines, I would suggest the BODYBUILDING values.

2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation. General guides:
    Average or lean: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.45 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
    High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ LEAN weight [between 0.45 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
    IF low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.35g/ pound.
    Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...

3. Carbs: Important for athletes, HIGHLY ACTIVE individuals, or those trying to GAIN MASS, carbs help with workout intensity, health, & satiety (+ sanity).
    For carbs there are no specific 'requirements' for your body so for 'general folk' to calculate your carbs you just calculate it from the calories left over from fats/ protein:
    carb calories = Total calorie needs - ([protein grams as above x 4] + [fat grams as above x 9])
    carbs in grams = above total/ 4

If you are an athlete - I would actually suggest you CALCULATE a requirement for carbs as a PRIORITY - then go back and calculate protein / fat:
    moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
    highly active: 6.5 - 9 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Once you work out calorie needs, you then work out how much of each macronutrient you should aim for. This is one of the areas that is MOST often confused but This should NOT be based on a RATIO of macro intakes. (eg: '30:40:30 or 40:40:20') Your body doesn't CARE what % intake you have. It works based on SUFFICIENT QUANTITY per LEAN MASS or TOTAL MASS. So to try to make it as simple as possible:

1. Protein: Believe it or not - Protein intake is a bit of a controversial issue. In this, the general recommendations given in the 'bodybuilding' area are nearly double the 'standard' recommendations given in the Sports Nutrition Arena.
    The GENERAL sports nutrition guideline based on most studies out suggest that in the face of ADEQUATE calories and CARBS then the following protein intakes are sufficient:
    STRENGTH training -> 1.2 to 1.6g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
    ENDURANCE training -> 1.4 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)
    ADOLESCENT in training -> 1.8 to 2.2g per KG bodyweight (about 1g / pound)
    BUT they also acknowledge that protein becomes MORE important in the context of LOWER calorie intakes, or LOWER carb intakes.

Regardless of this, the general 'bodybuilding' guidelines would be as follows:
    - If you guess your bodyfat is AVERAGE = 1-1.25g per pound TOTAL weight
    - If you KNOW your bodyfat = 1-1.5g per pound LEAN weight

If you are VERY LEAN or on a VERY LOW CALORIE INTAKE then protein should be higher:
    - Average bodyfat, lower calorie intake = 1.25-1.5 per pound total mass
    - Very lean, lower calorie intake = 1.33-2 per pounds lean mass

If you are VERY OVERWEIGHT, VERY INACTIVE, or on a HIGH calorie diet then you can decrease BELOW the above levels if desired*= ~ 1 x LEAN mass to 0.8-1 x total weight in pounds

Anecdotally, most find the HIGHER protein intake better for satiety, partitioning, and blood sugar control. So UNLESS you are specifically guided to use the GENERAL sports nutrition guidelines, I would suggest the BODYBUILDING values.

2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation. General guides:
    Average or lean: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.45 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
    High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ LEAN weight [between 0.45 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
    IF low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.35g/ pound.
    Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...

3. Carbs: Important for athletes, HIGHLY ACTIVE individuals, or those trying to GAIN MASS, carbs help with workout intensity, health, & satiety (+ sanity).
    For carbs there are no specific 'requirements' for your body so for 'general folk' to calculate your carbs you just calculate it from the calories left over from fats/ protein:
    carb calories = Total calorie needs - ([protein grams as above x 4] + [fat grams as above x 9])
    carbs in grams = above total/ 4

If you are an athlete - I would actually suggest you CALCULATE a requirement for carbs as a PRIORITY - then go back and calculate protein / fat:
    moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
    highly active: 6.5 - 9 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)

Cosign.