Best HRM for 100 buck and under

Im looking to get a HRM but I don't know which brand to get. I have around 100 buck to spend maybe more, any suggestions on which one to buy? I really don't want the one you wrap around your chest. Thanks

Replies

• garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Polar FT7

Edit - Sorry, did not read the second half saying you do not want a chest strap. The Polar has one for accurate measurements. Any particular reason you don't want a chest strap?
  • Timex
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    I recently got a Polar FT7 for $100, and I really like it.

Note that it does have a chest strap, but most of the ones without a chest strap are less accurate and/or a pain to use.
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    I recently got the Polar FT4 and love it!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    The issue is, if you don't get one with a chest strap, it won't track your Heart Rate therefore won't be as accurate. I bought the Polar FT4F off Amazon for $54 (it was on sale) but regular priced Im sure they are under $100. I saw lots of Polar models for $85-$90.
  • If you want a good HRM...your money is only well spent if you get a watch that is as accurate as possible...unfortunately the most accurate HRM's come with a chest strap. If you reconsider your ban on chest straps, then I would recommend looking at the Polar series watches. I didn't like the chest-strap either at first but like all things it doesn't bother you after you get used to it ;)
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    I have the Polar F4 and love it. Have had it for over a year. Very easy to use and under $100. Think I paid a bout $70 or $80.
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    Polar Ft7.. just recieved it today and its awesome.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Polar FT7. I have had mine for over a year, and love it.
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 152 Member
    I have the Polar FT7 in red. I LOOOVE it. I have used it religiously since Sept 1, 2011. It gets you motivated seeing how many cals you've burned so far .. .and I'm always like ok, I got a 100 more to lose I can do that...... Only con with it is there's no timer for intervals, there's a ticker for start to finish but that's it.

I've also hear good things about Garmin. They are a little pricier but my friend loves her's with the GPS.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Most of the ones without a chest strap only take your HR when you hold the button on the watch. So to get a good average HR you need to check it often, which can be a pain. Just opt for the one with chest strap. Look at Polar FT4 and FT7 on Amazon to get a good price on a great unit.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 which I use for my runs (it has GPS) but I just bought a Polar FT60 for myself.

The HRMs with the chest straps tend to be more accurate. You may want to reconsider your stance on this if you're going to spend that much on a HRM anyway.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 673 Member
    Polar FT7

Edit - Sorry, did not read the second half saying you do not want a chest strap. The Polar has one for accurate measurements. Any particular reason you don't want a chest strap?
    I seems constricting, but if it the most accurate, I should try it. Do you wear it under your workout clothes?
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Polar FT7 - Love it! Very easy to use and just under $100 on Amazon.
  • kristina509
    kristina509 Posts: 43 Member
    I went last Friday to Best Buy looking for the Polar Ft4 HRM and bought a FitBit instead...and I am really loving it! I was skeptic about the strap going around you and I was afraid it wouldn't fit me. Plus, when you think about getting sweaty I would think it would get uncomfortable, but I don't know. Good luck!
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Polar FT7

I seems constricting, but if it the most accurate, I should try it. Do you wear it under your workout clothes?

yes wear under your t-shirt etc... im sure some of the ladies here can help you with proper position etc. I have the FT4 and have had it for about a year or so. It has been great. I know the strap comes in 2 different sizes ?? just make sure you get the proper one. it might seem a bit odd at first but after a few times you won't even think about it being there.
  • Terk1968
    Terk1968 Posts: 25 Member
    I just got a Polar FT7 Heart Rate Monitor from Amazon for $77. This is my first HRM and I love it. I've had it about 2 weeks. I bought it initialy to get a better idea of how many calories I actuly burn in a work vs MFP. I thought I'd only wear it a couple of times to get a basic idea of a normal burn but I've worn it for every workout since I've had it.
  • Polar FT4 $100 at target. Best investment I ever made.
  • Polar FT7

Yeah you wear it under your shirt and you place it right underneath where your sports bra ends
  • golope
    golope Posts: 54
    I've been wondering the same thing about which HRM to buy. I have the desire to avoid a chest strap. Mostly because I think my boobs would get in the way. If I looked down, I'd never be able to see it to read it. If you put it under your t-shirt, how do you read it? Do you have to keep pulling your shirt off or something? I know nothing about these so maybe these are stupid questions but I just don't see how this would work for someone with a really big chest. It might get lost under there! lol