Scheduled Workouts??

Options
Just wondering do you plan your workouts for the week or just go with the flow?? Which have you found to be affective? Do you mind sharing you planned week if you have?

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    A little of both. I generally go 5 mornings a week before work, and Saturday is optional. Mon-Wed-Friday I do arms and higher intensity cardio (like crossramp trainer or running) and the other two days, I change it up by doing the bike or just walking, and then do abs and leg work on the weight machines. Saturday is a spinning class that I sometimes take in the mornings (but when the weather is good, I prefer to do something outdoors one or both weekend days.

I like that I hold myself accountable to the higher-burn days, but its best to find something that works well for you, and doesn't leave you sore on the wrong days. From time to time, it always needs to be changed up a bit since your body will get used to the same routines and therefore they'll become less effective.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate to have my gym only 2 blocks from work so I'm able to
    go everyday over my lunch hour.

I follow a "routine" vs a schedule, doing a mix of cardio and strength training M-W-F
    and all cardio on T & TH. I vary the specifics, based on what I had already done
    the previous workout.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I follow a "routine" vs a schedule, doing a mix of cardio and strength training M-W-F
    and all cardio on T & TH. I vary the specifics, based on what I had already done
    the previous workout.

I do this too!
  • mrsbeardtoyou
    Options
    I Plan my "workout" if you can call it that. Every morning I walk on the treadmill and if I find myself in the afternoon with nothing to do, I "sneak" in a little bonus time on the treadmill while I watch my favorite shows on FOOD NETWORK.. lol Several people tell me that they love to watch that channel while walking on the treadmill. I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME.... lol
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I pretty much plan mine, I know Monday-Thursday my coworker are probably going to go walking or go to my apt gym on our lunch, I know that at least 5 days out of the week I will be doing 30 Day Shred It, and I know that Tuesday, Saturday, and Wednesday or Thursday I will be doing my C25K running.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I "plan" mine, in a way. I put it right on the calendar at home, so whole family knows THIS IS THE SCHEDULE. Lol....

Mon - Pilates
    Tues - Zumba toning
    Wed - Circuit training class
    Thurs - Zumba
    Friday - off
    Sat & Sun - whatever I can make myself do.

I need to improve on a Sat or Sunday scheduled workout. Just weekends are so crazy, hard to "plan" like the week.
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm a planner when it comes to just about anything so I plan my workouts, but leave some room for flexibility. I run Couch to 5K three days a week, usually M-W-F but I can move it around as long as I get rest days in between. Right now I'm also doing 30 day Shred 6 days a week in the mornings.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Mon - Deadlifts and assiting muscles
    Tuesday - Bench and assisting
    Wednesday - rest/cardio
    Thursday - squats and assisting
    Friday OHP and assisting
    Saturday - Dynamic, Olympic, Vanity, or Rock climbing
    Sunday - rest no cardio
  • acballou
    Options
    I have a rough outline of what I'd like to do. I used to be so much more strict with it, and I really do wish I could get back to it.
    Mon - Wed: cardio with weights of some sort (various body parts as to not over work them)
    Thurs: Break
    Fri: cardio with weights
    Sat: long run
    Sun: Break

I'm trying to change my regimen to incorporate more yoga and maybe sub a class of cardio/weights to do a body pump class or something. I know I'll get better results when I actually have a plan.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do better (sometimes infinitely so) when I have a structured plan to follow. Without it, I find accountability to myself much more difficult.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My schedule is very loosely structured. I keep track of monthly minutes on a spreadsheet. Those minutes are translated into percentages for cardio, strength & flexibility. I copied a Microsoft Excel template for protien, carbs, fat ... and re-labeled it.

That way when I look at my spreadsheet .... I know I'm due for weights, yoga, or whatever. This also keeps track of my monthly goal for minutes. I started this years ago when my goal was 90 minutes per week (way out of shape). "Loose" works for me ... when I've had a hard day ..... I can adjust to "whatever" I'm in the mood for.
  • DST513
    DST513 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I personally don't really plan. The only thing I hold myself to is a 600+ calorie burn a day when I work out. I was just wondering if maybe I should plan the workouts of what to do, or have a rough idea of what to do each day i workout!!
  • pinkprincessmama
    pinkprincessmama Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do lots of classes, so I follow a schedule.

Mondays - HIIT, then Pilates

Tuesdays - Pump, then Zumba

Wednesdays - Cardio Kickbox, then Treadmill Intervals (if I have energy)

Thursdays - Pump, then Pilates

Fridays - Treadmill Intervals

Saturdays - random or off

Sundays - off
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I plan all my workouts, I find if I do consciously and actively make time for it, it doesn't get done.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I have planned workouts, but the days vary with my work and life schedule. Generally, I want 4 - 5 days in the gym. All of my workouts are in the mornings (I prefer to do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach, and I'm on a full cardio phase now. Will do a muscle building/strength phase starting March 1st). I alternate my workouts, Workout A - Elliptical, Workout B - Walk/Run. Each workout, I try to increase the intensity and/or speed and measure my distance and calories burned.