Holy Protein, Batman! Advice, please!

Options
Hey y'all...

How do you get your protein? I am REALLY struggling to get more of it (doc says to and so does weight loss coach).

Do you eat it all day?

Please tell!

Replies

• yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My trainer wants me to get in 100g of protein a day and it's a struggle- most days I can get in 80 when I try REAL hard!

Other than the obvious lean meats, I get my protein in:

-greek yogurt
    -go lean cereals
    -low fat cottage cheese
    -hard boiled eggs
    -kashi bars
    -lite protein shakes (like lite Muscle Milk- chocolate is pretty yummy)
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Are you a carnivore? I heard meat has a ton of protein in it.

If not, greek yogurt, whey protein powder, eggs, quinoa, fish, etc.

General rule of thumb for those with low calorie diets. Lay off the carbs and eat some protein.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Meat!
    Genoa salami, turkey, beef, chicken!

I use Optimum Nutrition Whey daily.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Tuna is my go to when I need to " fix " my protein level for the day. Also, i just recently started making quinoa and it's pretty darn yummy :)
  • shefury
    shefury Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Nuts, eggs, tuna, chicken, cottage cheese, yogurt. Yes I have protein with every meal and every snack.
  • skward04
    skward04 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Been struggling myself... After some research, I aimed to get at least 100g daily. High protein foods I eat include egg beaters, cheese, cottage cheese, fish, chicken, peanut butter, go lean cereals, nuts, turkey... I often (pretty much everyday) have to resort to some kind of protein shake. Not ideal... But good for the muscles :)

Haven't tried quinoa... But everyone seems to like it, do it's on my grocery list!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Are you a carnivore? I heard meat has a ton of protein in it.

If not, greek yogurt, whey protein powder, eggs, quinoa, fish, etc.

General rule of thumb for those with low calorie diets. Lay off the carbs and eat some protein.

THIS!!! And eat some healthy fat with that protein - in the form of MEAT. Guarantee you won't have to count calories (well, maybe in the beginning).
    And grains do not give you a complete protein profile. They do not contain all the essential amino acids and you have to eat a hell of a lot to get the amount of protein the body needs each day. It would take four servings of oatmeal to give me the amount of protein that 4oz of meat (or 3 eggs) can give me. And it's complete protein.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I put a protein shake in my coffee every morning. Eggs for breakfast. Greek yogurt for snack. Meat centered dinner (steak, chicken breast, fish, meat loaf, etc). Either left overs for lunch or a burger or grilled chicken sandwich from a fast food place. And I drink lots of skim milk. Cheese also has a good amount of protein. I aim for at least 115 but preferably 150.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Chicken, turkey, fish, lentils, peanut butter, beans, yogurt
    I got 137 gr yesterday and I'll be at 96 after my lunch and I still have to eat supper. I get all mine from my food but if it's a struggle then down a protein shake.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Tuna, Milk, Peanut Butter, Greek Yogurt, Protein Shakes are all staples in my diet.

Cheese, Eggs and Beef alternate in there a lot too.

Yesterday I needed a quick lunch on the go and grabbed bottle of milk and a bag of beef jerky for the road. Ate the whole bag of jerky and drank both servings of milk for a grand total of 480 calories, 31 carbs, 13 grams of fat... and 61 grams of protein :D
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Check my diary (it's public) I generally eat 200+ grams per day.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Feel free to give my diary a look. I love to supplement my meals with 1/2 scoop protein powder and milk. Greek yogurt, eggs, turkey, and chicken are my primary sources.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Same as above! And a couple other things. I too get it all from food--no protein shakes. Not knocking them, just don't like them.

1. Lentils and Black Beans (you can get them pre-steamed at Trader Joes)
    2. Ricotta Cheese
    3. Chicken, Beef, lamb, Seafood, Ground Turkey (I eat tons of salmon and go lean with the meat)
    4. Eggs
    5. Protein supplemented cereals and grains
    6. Whole nuts and Almond Butter
    7. Soy Trail Mix (I buy at costco and mix into my yogurt or eat alone)
    8. Fage Yogurt (Greek, can be bought at Costco, Safeway, Walmart..wherever)

Hope that helps. BTW, I eat at least a 100 grams of protein a day. Sometimes I fall under, but not too often! Keep an eye on calories too...you may be going high protein but you'll want to keep it reasonable amount-wise when it comes to nuts, soy nuts, nut butters, etc. Of course, the more you burn in exercise, the more you'll be able to consume.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My diary is also public .... I aim for around 120. I am not a fan of protein shakes so I try to get mine through food alone. And yes, I eat it all day long!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have problems with high fat animal proteins because of my gallbladder, such as eggs and red meat, so I struggle for protein as well. I go for lean sources like chicken and turkey, and I also eat a lot of green vegetables (which have a lot of protein, most people don't know that). Cheese is also a really good source and skim milk. Cottage cheese is one of my favorite snacks if I'm low on protein for the day!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I am a semi-lacto vegetarian (I only really eat cheese, which I am not ready to give up yet). I get lots of protein. Aside from cheese, I also eat beans, lentils, nuts, and seeds. I also get protein through grains such as whole grain bread/bagels/tortillas/pitas, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, barley, oatmeal, oat groats, etc. I also eat tofu a few times a week, and I eat the occasional fake meat. I am not a huge fan of fake meats, but I do happen to love the oven roasted tofurky slices, and I eat the occasional veggie burger. I usually have no problem getting all my necessary protein (and that is on a vegetarian 1300 cal diet per diet--or more if I exercise).

Edit: as for the complete protein thing mentioned above: I don't eat meat but I DO get complete proteins. Tofu is a complete protein, but other than that if you combine the grains with the beans/legumes, then you eat complete proteins. I don't overeat, and I get lots of protein.
  • wxkris
    wxkris Posts: 57
    Options
    This morning I put a scoop of chocolate protein powder in my oikos plain greek yogurt and it tasted like chocolate mousse!!

It was 41 grams of protein, 220 cals, and filled me up for 4 hours!
  • LeeCut
    LeeCut Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Since the new year I've been concentrating on eating more protein and tbh I've found it pretty easy.
    I'm weight training so trying to eat healthy, stay roughly the same weight but 'bulk up' a little so I'm aiming for 1.5g of protein per kilo of body weight. A figure derived from reading numerous articles about increasing muscle mass.
    I've started adding a mix of almonds with pumpkin, sesame, sunflower & linseeds to my breakfast cereal of Weetabix or instant porridge with semi-skimmed milk.
    Lunch is usually cottage cheese with honey roast ham and a Muller Light yogurt.
    Dinner might be chicken, quorn, tuna, any white fish or soya. Add to this some broccoli & peas and I pretty much hit my target.
    If I'm short I have a drop of milk. Or there's always a bit of scrambled or poached egg!!!

Hope this helps.