CHALLENGE!!

Options
Good Morning Ladies and Gents!!
So I was thinking it would be fun to start a challenge for ourselves for the month of February!! My name is Tiffany and I am new to my fitness pal and I would love to start talking to new people, hearing their success stories and helping them through new challenges!! I just joined a bootcamp class two weeks ago, the program runs 3days/wk for 12wks. I intend to get to the gym on my own one to two additional days per week. My goals for the next month(s) are to lose between 5-10 lbs and decrease my current fat percentage from 28.6 to 25 or lower. I am determined and I cant wait to start. Anyone feel free to join me on this journey!! I plan on logging my weightloss via this forum, my struggles, and support for all who follow!! Good luck!! :)

Replies

• DarrenKH
    DarrenKH Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiffany, I'm Darren, also just starting a February challenge of losing up to 5 pounds (2 kg), just watching what I eat and exercising.
  • tnkrueger
    Options
    Good luck Darren!! Please be sure to come back and tell me how your goals are coming along!! Are you currently on a workout regimen?! Or any sort of special diet?!
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

My goal is to lose SOME pounds (no idea how many cuz body is adjusting to new lifestyle). My main goal is to continue regularly working out (6 days a week) with 3 days of running and 3 days of strength/core/low-impact cardio. Gotta hit that goal!!
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiffany and Darren!

My goal for February is to lose about 5 lbs. That would get me past my first milestone.

I am not really following any special work-out plan or diet. I eat healthy vegan, which means no added oils or sugars plus I've been walking on my treadmill almost every morning. When my body allows, I include some running.

Hopefully, I'll be able to manage at least my goal for this month. :)
  • tnkrueger
    Options
    I'm in!

My goal is to lose SOME pounds (no idea how many cuz body is adjusting to new lifestyle). My main goal is to continue regularly working out (6 days a week) with 3 days of running and 3 days of strength/core/low-impact cardio. Gotta hit that goal!!

SOME IS BETTER THAN NONE!! Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes!! and congrats on your weightloss so far!!!
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. I'm Viva. I would like to lose 4 or more pounds during the month of February. I joined myfitnesspals.com about three weeks ago. So far, I have lost 6 pounds! I currently exercise at least six days a week. I started Jillian Micheals' 30 Day Shred on Friday, January 27, 2012. So far the workout has been great! I also use The Firm DVD's, Zumba DVD's, Gold's Gym Dance Workout for the Wii, Zumba for the Wii, and walking as part of my exercise routine. I am a member of three other groups, but I would love to partner with a few friends who are willing to keep me motivated as I keep them motivated. This forum may be just what I need to truly feel like I am not in this alone!
  • tnkrueger
    Options
    Hi Tiffany and Darren!

My goal for February is to lose about 5 lbs. That would get me past my first milestone.

I am not really following any special work-out plan or diet. I eat healthy vegan, which means no added oils or sugars plus I've been walking on my treadmill almost every morning. When my body allows, I include some running.

Welcome!! and Congrats on your weightloss so far!! Have you always eaten vegan?! What kind of meals do you often prepare for yourself/family? Do you include any strength training into your exercise regimen!?
  • tnkrueger
    Options
    Hello, everyone. I'm Viva. I would like to lose 4 or more pounds during the month of February. I joined myfitnesspals.com about three weeks ago. So far, I have lost 6 pounds! I currently exercise at least six days a week. I started Jillian Micheals' 30 Day Shred on Friday, January 27, 2012. So far the workout has been great! I also use The Firm DVD's, Zumba DVD's, Gold's Gym Dance Workout for the Wii, Zumba for the Wii, and walking as part of my exercise routine. I am a member of three other groups, but I would love to partner with a few friends who are willing to keep me motivated as I keep them motivated. This forum may be just what I need to truly feel like I am not in this alone!

Welcome Viva!! Congrats on your weightloss!! Do you prefer videos as opposed to the gym?! I have tried a few and really enjoyed them but my boyfriends sister and i have joined a class and we just love it!!
  • vguynes
    Options
    Welcome Viva!! Congrats on your weightloss!! Do you prefer videos as opposed to the gym?! I have tried a few and really enjoyed them but my boyfriends sister and i have joined a class and we just love it!!

Thanks for the response. I feel welcomed and involved already! :smile: Yes, I do prefer working out at home. My husband and I are members of the local gym. While he's at the gym working out, I'm home doing my workout. I've gone to the gym a couple of times with him, but working out at home is my preference at this point. I may change later and give it a GOOD try. My friends continue to tell me about the fun they have at the gym's Zumba classes, but I haven't gone yet. I may go soon just to give it a try.
  • tnkrueger
    Options

Thanks for the response. I feel welcomed and involved already! :smile: Yes, I do prefer working out at home. My husband and I are members of the local gym. While he's at the gym working out, I'm home doing my workout. I've gone to the gym a couple of times with him, but working out at home is my preference at this point. I may change later and give it a GOOD try. My friends continue to tell me about the fun they have at the gym's Zumba classes, but I haven't gone yet. I may go soon just to give it a try.

LOVE Zumba! and when i cant get the dance move down i just do my own!! you really get sweating and your heart rate up too!! I like going to the gym but im such a weekling i hate to use the machines unless im with my boot camp class!! I love doing classes because the trainer is often very motivating and you dont have to think of what to do next!!
  • vguynes
    Options
    LOVE Zumba! and when i cant get the dance move down i just do my own!! you really get sweating and your heart rate up too!! I like going to the gym but im such a weekling i hate to use the machines unless im with my boot camp class!! I love doing classes because the trainer is often very motivating and you dont have to think of what to do next!!

I do my own thing when I can't move my hips like the Zumba instructors on the DVD. :smile: Do you know how many calories you burn when you are taking your Zumba classes? I've heard that it's a large number. I order a HRM to give me a better idea of the calories I burn when I workout. I hope it arrives by the end of this week or the beginning of next week. Do you use a HRM when you workout?
  • tnkrueger
    Options

I do my own thing when I can't move my hips like the Zumba instructors on the DVD. :smile: Do you know how many calories you burn when you are taking your Zumba classes? I've heard that it's a large number. I order a HRM to give me a better idea of the calories I burn when I workout. I hope it arrives by the end of this week or the beginning of next week. Do you use a HRM when you workout?

Im not sure how many calories are burned during Zumba but I know it varies depending on your heart rate and other factors such as weight and range of movement. But i do know that you can burn tons. typically most people burn at least 500 in a 45 minute time span!
    I dont currently use and HRM but I should buy one!
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiffany and Darren!

Welcome!! and Congrats on your weightloss so far!! Have you always eaten vegan?! What kind of meals do you often prepare for yourself/family? Do you include any strength training into your exercise regimen!?

Nope, I've been Vegetarian for a few years now and tried to go Vegan last year but didn't stick with it. So this time around, I am trying it with MFP and hope this will help me stay on task.

I eat healthy vegan food which are prepared without any added oils or sugars. What helps me to cut down (or even banish) cravings is to keep my food intake very balanced throughout the day. I make sure I have enough of each food group: vegetables, legumes, grain, and fruit.

For example, I start off with a breakfast with oatmeal, flax seeds, and blueberries. Lunch is some kind of vegetables with rice and legumes or soups or salad. Snacks are fruits (mostly apples) and nuts or whole grain bread with some peanut butter. Dinner is similar to lunch.

I haven't done much with weights yet. When I have time, I use some weights for toning my arms but nothing major. I'll be trying to incorporate some Pilates starting next week, which should help with my core muscles. Goal is to make those muscles work better, so I can avoid sciatica attacks. I'll have to see how that goes first, though :)

Main exercise is still my walking with some running breaks routine in the mornings. I have a hard time warming up, so not much running at this time but hopefully with less weight to carry and stronger muscles, this will only increase over time.
  • rvolckmann
    Options
    I'm in....
    My name is Rebecca and my main goal for this month is to loose 5lbs...
    My plan is to continue with watching what I eat... (Portions.. Portions.. Portions..)
    Walk at least 3 times a week...
    And everyday do 30 day shred.. (Just started yesterday)

Good Luck to all..!.!.!
  • vguynes
    Options
    I'm in....
    My name is Rebecca and my main goal for this month is to loose 5lbs...
    My plan is to continue with watching what I eat... (Portions.. Portions.. Portions..)
    Walk at least 3 times a week...
    And everyday do 30 day shred.. (Just started yesterday)

Good Luck to all..!.!.!

Hi, I completed Day 6 of the 30 Day Shred this morning. The workout is getting easier than it was the first few days. Do you plan on doing each level for 10 days? My plan is to do each level for 10 days and take my measurements after Day 30.

Good with the the 30 Day Shred!
  • Rayjewls
    Rayjewls Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi...I'd live to join this challenge!!! My name is Ranel. I'd like to lose 10 lbs.this month. I know that is ambitious but if I eat right and exercise I know I'll come close. I'm also in a few groups....p90x. So that will be my exercise and I just got abelly dancing dvd that I will do 3 days a week...it's really lo impact so I'll try and get it in, in the morning.
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Im not sure how many calories are burned during Zumba but I know it varies depending on your heart rate and other factors such as weight and range of movement. But i do know that you can burn tons. typically most people burn at least 500 in a 45 minute time span!
    I dont currently use and HRM but I should buy one!

Good morning all! My name's Myschelle. I've been a member of MFP for a little over a year, though I have been fairly inconsistent with posting/logging, I have been faithful in working out for the past 7 months. I work with a personal trainer using weights and cardio-circuits three days a week, I take Zumba classes one to four times a week (and would go more if I had the time - I'm totally addicted!), my newest goal for February is to add a Pilates class to my weekly routine. My ideal weekly routine would consist of trainer 3x, Zumba 2x, Pilates 1x, AND I recently started to learn to ride horses and will compete in my first event in March (a competitive trail riding event). I struggle with weight loss due to medications, but none-the-less, I'm working on portion control, healthy choices (carb addict!), and eating on a schedule, since I've fallen off the wagon on that. I need to loose 20+ pounds, I could use all the support and suggestions anyone is willing to give. I wish you all well on your journeys, see you here!
  • flibberdajibbitt
    flibberdajibbitt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm doing the Biggest Loser Kinect 3x30 mins a week, treadmill 3x30 mins a week. I plan to lose 8 lbs in Feb. (I'll take more if I can get it though lol)
  • msmellebelle
    Options
    Hi there! I work out with the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and also jump rope daily. Additionally, i'm going to be doing a 3 mile walk 3 times/week. Hopefully this is just the start to the activity i will participate in. I hope to lose at least 8 pounds in February (2 lbs per week).
  • vguynes
    Options
    Hi there! I work out with the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and also jump rope daily. Additionally, i'm going to be doing a 3 mile walk 3 times/week. Hopefully this is just the start to the activity i will participate in. I hope to lose at least 8 pounds in February (2 lbs per week).

Did you experience weight GAIN when you started with the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred?