That time of month

Options
Why do I gain hundreds of kilos when my period starts? I also look like a blowfish for days and crave red turnips like a mad pregnant woman. Too scared of the scales to even try a weigh in now.

Replies

• YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    That has never happened to any other woman ever.

You must be dying.
  • ShelbyBeck414
    Options
    ahh the joys of being a woman..(we DO get to wear fabulous high heels though) :) I feel the same way right now....didn't step on the scale this morning...and craving chocolate like a crazy-lady....
    Just remember to drink lots of water (seems silly if you are already water retaining) but it will flush everything out....
    GOod luck and stay positive!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I think everyone feels sluggish & gets bloated when they're on.
    NEVER weigh yourself whilst you're on your period.
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Same here! Crave RED MEAT, Salty snacks and junk. Usually go up almost 4 lbs too. Hormones are not kind. I know I retain the water but the huge gut thing drives me nuts. And some days if it's not nailed down I am pretty much goin to eat it~!
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I always gain 4-5 lb every time TOM makes me a visit...
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Your body retains fluid so that it can clean out the uterus, your body graves high iron foods like chocolate, greens and meat because of the decrease in iron in the body. The body is doing its job, rather we like it or not. Just eat lots of high iron foods, and on the last day of your period, take some midol with caffine in it. It will help get the excess water off of you body.

Oh, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
  • hmseals
    hmseals Posts: 30
    Options
    I know how you feel, but for me this time was different. I still felt bloated, but did not have my sweet/junk cravings like I usually do, and even lost 4 pounds. Hang in there! It will get better :smile:
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i'm on the same horrible boat with you... just give your body what it wants, drink water, get extra sleep, and hope it goes away without any horrible incidents...
  • jessicalgetts
    Options
    I don't even weigh myself during the week of my period because you can tend to hold more water and be much more bloated than usual. And I crave everything under the sun, that week! You are not alone. It's completely normal.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    WHAT! This happens to other people too?! Oh thank God!
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself at that time, and if I want to eat something I eat it, I don't even care.:laugh:
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem. It was so frustrating. I wanted to scream but like people say. DONT WEIGH IN THAT WEEK.
  • estherpab
    estherpab Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That was just too funny! Where have you been Ann? This subject has been the most talked about all weekend it seems because I have written about it too. Don't dispair, apparently what we are feeling is quite normal. Just keep exercising and continue to watch your calories and once your cycle is done, you will go back to normal.

Ps I'm sure you don't look like a blowfish :laugh:
  • Amyoct
    Amyoct Posts: 11
    Options
    I drink a hot cup of Green Tea at the end of the day when it is that time and helps keep the bloating down for me. I don't know if you have tried it before. Just something to try. It doesn't have to be hot green tea. Just something green tea can help.
  • aiwich
    aiwich Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That has never happened to any other woman ever.

You must be dying.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

i call it horrormones :wink:
  • angijunbug
    Options
    Same here! Hate it! And yes, stay far far away from the scale during this time! It can be depressing! I gain anywhere from 5-7lbs during TOM & then when it's over I go back to normal only to do it all over again next month.
    It's like the movie Groundhog's Day! It's a vicious circle, isn't it? :frown:
  • joneswife09
    joneswife09 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Don't hate on me...but I always weigh less on my period. I can almost count on a weightloss no matter what I eat. That's crazy!
  • Elona_30
    Options
    when Im close to mine I crave chocolate like a crazy person, and the water not only flushes everything out it also helps make you feel full, I never weight that week in the month it only makes you feel worse its part of life and it does get better :wink:
  • aiwich
    aiwich Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Don't hate on me...but I always weigh less on my period. I can almost count on a weightloss no matter what I eat. That's crazy!

me too! :tongue:
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's water weight. Do like everyone else says: drink lots of fluid and eat foods high in iron (I also take an iron supplement that week which actually helps cut the cravings). I DO weigh myself all that week with the goal of maintaining my weight - if I am at a calorie deficit every day, I know that I will actually lose as much as 4 lbs the following week.