low carbs or not? please read, need HELP!

Options
i've been cutting out pretty much all my carbs (i loveeeee carbs) i've noticed though i can't reach my calorie goal sometimes by 500 calories w/o them....eating more veggies isn't adding...

questions is..do you believe in low carbs what are your MACRO set...right now i have them

50-25-25

thanks for the help!

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I believe I'll set my carb intake based on my fitness/activity level. I'm a busy guy, I need'em.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    i lost 57lbs in 8 months in 2010 on weightwatchers no watching carbs etc I did regain 42lbs but thats me yoyo I lose ok eating carbs though Im going to do a trial on 40/30/30 do you set this on here as im only week2 ?
  • gretchenwb
    gretchenwb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to add some good carbs back into your diet ie whole grains, or fruits and make sure to pair your carbs with protein since that slows absorption of the carb and evens the effect on your blood sugar:smile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you love carbs and can't get to your calorie goal without them, perhaps low-carb isn't the ideal plan for you. Just sayin' :flowerforyou:
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 40-30-30.....people need carbs to function but I personally feel like crap and tend to binge if I eat crappy carbs like sugar and super processed foods. I also can't hang for long on super low carbs. If I am really trying to cut quickly, I drop my carbs to under 100 per day but it doesn't last for long. There is a war on MFP between low carbers and people who believe in calories in versus calories out. Nobody is the same and I urge you to find what works for you......if you can't stick to it, it probably isn't going to work for you in the long run anyways.
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't think Carbs are as bad as their press indicates. As long as you're eating to your calorie limit everyday it doesn't really matter what you're eating.

Unless you're trying to build up lean muscle and doing the strength training to back it up.

I've recently changed my Macros to 40 carbs 30 protein 30 fat and upping the amount of exercise (cardio and the amount of strength i'm doing - which granted isn't a lot, but I've recently started to plateau so I wanted to change my diet for a while to see how I get on!)

Like I say though I know it works for some people, but as long as you don't trigger binges or have an actual medical issue that can be aggrivated with your carb intake I don't think Carbs are the enemy.

(I couldn't go without toast :D)
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you go low carb is something you need to decide for yourself. If you want to add more calories to your diet the easiest way is to add more healthy (vegetable) fats, as fats have more calories per gram than carbs or protein do.

Eat some nuts, nut butter or avacado, drizzle extra virgin olive oil on salads or cooked vegetables, make your own salad dressings from olive oil, saute vegetables in canola or olive oil instead of steaming.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    good point thanks!!!
    Whether or not you go low carb is something you need to decide for yourself. If you want to add more calories to your diet the easiest way is to add more healthy (vegetable) fats, as fats have more calories per gram than carbs or protein do.

Eat some nuts, nut butter or avacado, drizzle extra virgin olive oil on salads or cooked vegetables, make your own salad dressings from olive oil, saute vegetables in canola or olive oil instead of steaming.
  • lsave1
    lsave1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    keep up the good work regardless you are losing weight.:flowerforyou:
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

ditto this - I like going what I call "lower carb", which is to say, I usually get around 100 grams a day. It really helps me stay within my calorie target, and also forces me to eat more fruits and veggies. I don't have a problem reaching my calorie goals because I eat a lot of fat - avocados, nuts, olive oil etc. I hate steamed veggies!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Carbs are non-essential to life, and tend to cause more harm than good in many people. If you want to add some in, your best source is probably fruits particularly berries. Although you might want to add in things like bananas as well for potassium. I tend to stay away from grains though if I have to choose between them and fruits.
  • MamaJilldo
    MamaJilldo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do low carbs too and seem to be about 200 cal. short at the end of the day. So I will eat an atkins advantage bar and that gives me fiber which tends to lack in my low carb diet, around 200 cals, and onlye 2-3 net carbs. Plus its filling and satisfies my sweet tooth- which is about gone since doing low carb which is great. I feel like my cravings have subsided, and I have a ton of energy. I think everyone is affected differently by carbs- some say they have low energy and binge- but I feel high energy with all the protein I eat and my cravings have lessened. Another great low carb snack that I eat to catch up on cals is roasted and salted almonds.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    sounds yummy i do have the special k bars but haven't been eating them cause of how much sugar....but i up'd my sugar by a lil today so maybe ill have enough over. =D
    I do low carbs too and seem to be about 200 cal. short at the end of the day. So I will eat an atkins advantage bar and that gives me fiber which tends to lack in my low carb diet, around 200 cals, and onlye 2-3 net carbs. Plus its filling and satisfies my sweet tooth- which is about gone since doing low carb which is great. I feel like my cravings have subsided, and I have a ton of energy. I think everyone is affected differently by carbs- some say they have low energy and binge- but I feel high energy with all the protein I eat and my cravings have lessened. Another great low carb snack that I eat to catch up on cals is roasted and salted almonds.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My macro percentages are set at 10 carbs/50 fat/40 protein. And I have no issue hitting cals. Yesterday topped out around 1700. Although on average, I hit about 1400.