Does yoga help??

Options
I've been doing yoga for a month and have noticed slight change in my body. The bloating has subsided and I have also noticed I don't want sweets or sodas as much as I use to.

Aside from eating less calories per day and drinking more water I feel like yoga has helped me WANT to be better but over the last month I haven't lost much weight, 3-4 lbs, and was just wondering if anyone on MFP found yoga to be helpful in the long run. I go to class about 4-5 times a week for at least 60 minutes.

There are plenty of thin, in shape women who go to the classes with me but I wonder if they were already that thin....

ANY comments or experience will help!

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• bauer1971
    bauer1971 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I too started Yoga and Pilates a couple weeks ago. I'm curious to see the answers. I do love LOVE yoga and Pilates!!
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    Yoga is my primary workout.

I go 2-3 times per week. I take 2 "hot power" yoga class on Tues and Thurs (75 mins) , then a restorative class on Saturday (90 minutes). I'll walk on my treadmill a couple days a week for 20 minutes if I don't have yoga.

It has totally changed my body, mind and spirit. I am seeing great definiation in my upper body and my lower body is very strong, plus my butt is no longer sliding down my legs :bigsmile:

Keep with it and you will see results.

EDIT: On average I burn 475-550 (HRM) calories for the Hot Power class.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I do hatha yoga for flexibility. Not a big calorie burner - but I think it is helpful for weightloss because it makes you very AWARE of your body, your breathing, and your overall health.

Yoga makes me want to "take care of myself."
  • SalsaSuzQ
    Options
    Yoga is so detoxifying! ^.^~ It's definitely a great supplement to whatever other activities you like to do or as a primary work-out. I became sick before doing a marathon, and was only able to do very light cardio and yoga. It was apparently for the best though because it was my best marathon record and a Boston qualifying time. I totally credit yoga for my recovery and preparing my body for the task ahead
  • comparingapples
    Options
    I'm doing hot power yoga but MFP says I'm only burning about 250-280 calories for my 60-75 minutes. Any idea on how to get a better calories burnt count?
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I really like Yoga and Pilates, not for the calorie burn but for stretching, and just a more balanced fitness. It's a nice change from running or weights and is great for the core.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    I'm doing hot power yoga but MFP says I'm only burning about 250-280 calories for my 60-75 minutes. Any idea on how to get a better calories burnt count?

MFP over estimates on some and under on others, it's a fairly generic burn. I'd invest in a HRM with a chest strap ( I have the Polar FT4 and love it).

It's really important to be as accurate as you can on your burns so you make sure you are eating enough.