Strengthening exercises at home?

Options
I work full time about a hour from home and have two young kids so going to the gym is impossible for me. I would love suggestions on strengthening exercises I can do from home. I currently do zumba at least 6 times a week. I need to add muscle to help lose faster.

7171023.png

Replies

• withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Do you have weights available? If yes, you can do all kinds of stuff: Curls, presses, rows, weighted squats, lunges, deadlifts, the list goes on and on.

Looking for body weight stuff: Squats, walking lunges, pushups, planks, crunches, leg lifts, step ups onto a secure chair, bicycles.. You don't necessarily need to follow a video as long as you plan out what you want to do each day, how many you will do at a time, and how many times you will repeat your sets.
  • newnhealthierme2011
    Options
    If you have a droid smart phone its apps that you can get that will assist you with weight lifting exercises. They have different ones, I use the daily arm workout, daily leg workout, and daily ab workout. But you can check it out for yourself. Hope this helps:)
  • Keisha2BFitAgain
    Keisha2BFitAgain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions. I will start today.

7171023.png[/url
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Check out gainfitness.com. It's an app for your phone too but I build workouts online. You can enter your goals and what you want to work on and where you workout (gym or home) and it gives you an entire workout, and you can customize it from there if there's something you can't do or want to try.

It's been my favorite new site lately!
  • lulabox
    lulabox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but bodyrocktv is supposed to have good workouts that use your own body weight to work your muscles.
  • GreenEyedGrl86
    Options
    Check out gainfitness.com. It's an app for your phone too but I build workouts online. You can enter your goals and what you want to work on and where you workout (gym or home) and it gives you an entire workout, and you can customize it from there if there's something you can't do or want to try.

I just want to say....I <3 your shirt in your picture.

And I will be checking this out myself!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you want strength training and want structure (someone telling you what to do) and you want to work out from home, P90X is the thing for you. It also incorporates cardio, stretching, and yoga...best thing I ever did for myself.
  • mle_k
    mle_k Posts: 88
    Options

this is just what I was looking for - thanks!!!
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam has some good ones. I bought it and it has 4 dvd's in the pack (pretty cheap on Amazon). They incorporate weights into alot of the workouts.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred? I love it cauwse its fit into 20-30 mins and great for a busy schedule. 10$ at walmart. Look up the threads on here and looks at sucess stories! It makes me feel stronger for sure!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    YES!!! You can! Body weight is a great place to start. Yoga is actually strength training (IMHO) and a good place to start. If you think yoga is just stretching, get Shiva Rea's Yoga for Surfers. OUCH!

I also recommend getting a pull up bar. I got one from amazon for like twenty bucks. Chin ups are killer for strength training. Good for abs, arms, and back. And not easy. No way!

Fist push ups are great for abs, butt, arms, pecks. Make sure you got your alignmnent right.

And I also concur with whoever said buy some weights. Barbells that you can adjust the weight to are great. My BF has them and I have been using them religiously for a bit.

I also want to recomment a website that is all about strenght training for women. There's a whole section on the website for people who don't go to the gym. She's super rad and there's lots of info about form and stuff on there:

www.stumptuous.com

good luck!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    and by saying she's rad, this is what I mean...she says things like this : "Have the zebra-pant-wearing mulletboys at the gym kneel before you and kiss your massive biceps when you do your first pullup"
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Good for you! So many women avoid weight lifting, afraid of bulk and etc, but actually unless you are training like a weight lifter, you are only going to tone, burn more resting calories by boosting your metabolism, and increase bone density. You may see some weight gain from lifting, but don't worry, it's good weight and you'll still be fitting in that nice outfit you've been eying. Invest in a couple of different weights (3lbs, 5lbs, 8lbs to start) and the possibilities are endless! You can add in Jillian's 30 day shred one day, Firm workout another, Cathe Friedrich for a harder day. I personally like Cathe cause while she's ripped, you can lighten the load and improvise to use hand weights (although a bench and step would help, not necessary as you can still lunge without a step and do chest exercises on the floor.) Main reason I like her, she teaches you the proper way to lift weights with rest in between. http://cathe.com/ Key is, mix it up...muscles need to be constantly challenged and changing up the routine is a good way to keep building and toning. Do high reps low weights one day, do low reps heavy weights another and etc. Have fun!
  • Keisha2BFitAgain
    Keisha2BFitAgain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Using the information I learned from you all I will be able to create some strengthening workouts tonight.

7171023.png
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Keishaj02 - Great! Hope it's a great workout!

Glad other people can use the gainfitness.com site too. I've been telling everyone because it's so great.

And I think I'm gonna check out stumptuous.

GreenEyedGrl8 - thinkgeek.com! I love that site and they had a sale on tees and I couldn't resist this one! :happy:
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    and by saying she's rad, this is what I mean...she says things like this : "Have the zebra-pant-wearing mulletboys at the gym kneel before you and kiss your massive biceps when you do your first pullup"
    Good to see another stumpamaniac.